User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pcmaczone
(committed) Fri 22-Apr-11 10:14:14
Print Post

Joined on the 18th Used over 7GB Peak already!???

[link to this post]

Joined iDnet on the 18th April and was pretty happy. I know there's a 10Gb peak time usage limit and have made sure any large downloads are made between midnight and 9am. I received an automated email today warning me that I would exceed my peak usage quota and would then start paying per gb. I checked the stats on the account page and it says I have used 7.63Gb peak allowance!!

I have the TB bandwidth monitor running and it shows in total I have downloaded 3.82Gb and most of that is off peak so how do iDnet come up with such a high figure for peak usage?

I'm thinking it was a mistake to move to iDnet. I hadn't thought it through properly. We have an Internet enabled tv with BBCiPlayer and Lovefilm streaming (not used since we joined idnet by the way) so if I were to use one of these services during peak allowance time I'm pretty sure we would be into extra payments very quickly frown

So, iDnet, yeah great for reliability, consistency of speed etc but pants for peak time allowance.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 22-Apr-11 10:55:58
Print Post

Re: Joined on the 18th Used over 7GB Peak already!???

[re: pcmaczone] [link to this post]

Can you be completely sure the TV hasn't been used for internet? It won't show on tbbmeter.

Otherwise, it seems a bit of a coincidence that the status page usage seems to be exactly twice the tbbmeter figure... wouldn't hurt to send CS an email with your concerns in detail, and give them a call when they open again (Tuesday?) if they don't ring you first.

I've never had a problem with their usage figures, but there's always a first time for a glitch!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pcmaczone
(committed) Fri 22-Apr-11 11:01:18
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.

Just checked with my wife and she has watched three programs on iPlayer via the tv. Obviously that adds to the count but does it really add that much? If so, fair enough but obviously iDnet are not for us if that's the case. Pretty pointless having an internet enabled tv if you can't use the features for fear of exceeding your bandwidth limit.

Have emailed customer services but will have to look around for another provider with a higher peak usage limit.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 22-Apr-11 11:13:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by pcmaczone:
Just checked with my wife and she has watched three programs on iPlayer via the tv. Obviously that adds to the count but does it really add that much?
Impossible to say without a lot more detail, but it's certainly not impossible. Especially if the programmes were in HD.
If so, fair enough but obviously iDnet are not for us if that's the case. Pretty pointless having an internet enabled tv if you can't use the features for fear of exceeding your bandwidth limit.
Yes, I'd agree. If you don't want to move up to a package with a bigger allowance (and I'll admit IDNet aren't the cheapest around) I'd strongly recommend you try to make some estimate of how much you are likely to use before deciding who to go with. Watching TV over the internet can be a real bandwidth-eater frown

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pcmaczone
(committed) Fri 22-Apr-11 11:48:07
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Yeah, i REALLY didn't think this through. looking at our usage of iPlayer, Lovefilm, youtube, online gaming and downloads I reckon 60gb peak is a low estimate!! It's that internet tv that is making up the majority of it.

We were with Talk Talk Business before and paid less but had an unlimited allowance so didn't matter what we watched or when we watched it. Of course the connection wasn't as reliable and download speeds would often crawl to a halt. Hence why we switched but It was a spur of the moment decision and considering we have only been with iDnet 6 days, a costly one frown

We had gotten so used to watching iPlayer on the tv that I completely forgot about the bandwidth issue! frown

So, if anyone is looking for a new isp, there's absolutely nothing wrong with iDnet but do really look at your usage before you make a decision.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Apr-11 12:03:24
Print Post

The best thing to do is move to an ISP that offers *unlimited* usage. Sky, O2 or VM. That way you don't have to worry, until next time they change their traffic management or implement (more) restrictions.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 22-Apr-11 12:15:45
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 5km:
The best thing to do is move to an ISP that offers *unlimited* usage. Sky, O2 or VM.
Yes, any of those, provided they've got their LLU products available at the exchange.

The BT-based versions don't bear thinking about crazy

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 22-Apr-11 12:17:38
Print Post

So what exchange are you on, as so far as I can tell you are on Home Lite ADSL, not even ADSL2+?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 22-Apr-11 12:19:36
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

O2 does not offer unlimited usage. 40GB allowance, or 100/250GB FUP, and vicious TM apart from the 250GB FUP package.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User pcmaczone
(committed) Fri 22-Apr-11 12:38:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

This is the main problem. We have no choice here. There are no LLU providers at our exchange nor even CN21. We are stuck with ADSL MAX and there are no plans to upgrade the exchange at any time in the future frown

Looking at PlusNet at the moment and their 60Gb peak time package. I know they are owned by BT but like I say, not much choice here.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to