User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User NGDragon
(newbie) Fri 22-Apr-11 13:46:22
Print Post

unable to connect - fttc

[link to this post]

Went live yesterday with fttc. Engineer synced at 39992/9996 and left saying that modem was synched and all working. At that time I was trying to get my router to authenticate so couldnt prove that all was ok.

Had no joy with router (Buffalo WHR-G300N) as it kept saying username and password are incorrect (using the easy setup and also via install CD) so tried plugging straigh into modem and setting up PPPoE, this failed to wrok either saying username and password incorrect.

Phoned support and they said that the job was still showing as open and to wait overnight to see if it resolved itself.

Still no joy today and have left a phone message for support but they are closed until Tuesday so not expecting much in response.

Question is am I doing something wrong?? is setting up PPPoE in windows 7 as simple as putting in username and password (in add new connection bit) or should I be changing other settings?

Any thoughts or help appreciated.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 22-Apr-11 14:25:00
Print Post

Re: unable to connect - fttc

[re: NGDragon] [link to this post]

I found I messed up the WHR-G300N when I tried to connect to the OR modem, so did a factory reset.

After that, the Internet Setup wizard worked - did it all within seconds. I didn't tell it anything except the username (phone number) and password as supplied by IDNet. I certainly didn't go setting PPPoE manually. Absolutely nothing except what the wizard asked.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 22-Apr-11 14:32:40
Print Post

I thought IDNET market themselves as providing a "premium service" - a bit much if their support does not operate 24/365 !

BT certainly have a full support team on this weekend - and they speak English albeit with a Scottish accent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User griff_90
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-Apr-11 14:56:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by NGDragon:
Phoned support and they said that the job was still showing as open and to wait overnight to see if it resolved itself.

So Idnet support asked you to wait overnight knowing that the following day their support staff would be in the pub??!?

That's jolly nice of them.
Standard User NGDragon
(newbie) Fri 22-Apr-11 15:10:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Have tried factory reset but wont hurt tn try again. Am thinking its an external issue though. Using phone for net is a pain.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 22-Apr-11 16:32:12
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
I thought IDNET market themselves as providing a "premium service" - a bit much if their support does not operate 24/365 !

BT certainly have a full support team on this weekend - and they speak English albeit with a Scottish accent.
Yeah... tongue

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 22-Apr-11 17:06:04
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Is my statement correct?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 22-Apr-11 17:38:09
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Is my statement correct?
As far as it goes, yes.

But having somebody pick up a phone is not "service", it's what happens afterwards that matters and what drives the columns on that graph.

IDNet don't run a routine customer service outside office hours, so queries about billing etc will have to wait. But they do monitor the phone messages, and when someone has a major connection problem they'll get on to it as soon as they become aware of it.

If it's a problem within their own network that they can fix, they will, if it's a problem with BT's equipment they'll liaise with BT to get it fixed whenever BT can get around to it.

Which last may explain the relative height of the BT columns on that graph tongue

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User NGDragon
(newbie) Fri 22-Apr-11 20:58:12
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

must admit both points are true. 24 hour support that is intelligent and not just script reading would be great, but this is only the 2nd time in 10 years that I have needed help and unfortunately the timing isnt great but being told to delete my cookies to cure a sync problem isnt much help either (yes orange were that bad).
  Print Thread

Jump to