User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User peewee
(member) Wed 20-Jul-11 12:20:23
Print Post

BT prices to fall on IPstream products

[link to this post]

Just read the news item about BT being forced to reduce wholesale prices for 'up to 8 meg' IPstream services by 12% below inflation over next couple of years. As IDNet have a large proportion of customers on this product this may well come as welcome news.

I have a request, which others may have a view on, that if we are to see a price reduction could we also see a situation where BT are requested to bundle up greater dowload allowances within the package. In my case, 40g is no longer enough but 60g would be. I would be happy to keep paying the current£35/month if the allowances were evened up and use the savings to fund this. After all, the BT measure that Ofcom are forcing on them is supposed to bring Market 1 exchanges into line with unbundled.

I'm sure there are many other permulation around this rather than just reducing prices.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Jul-11 12:28:56
Print Post

Re: BT prices to fall on IPstream products

[re: peewee] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by peewee:
... could we also see a situation where BT are requested to bundle up greater dowload allowances within the package
BT do not design the allowance packages. The ISP does.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User peewee
(member) Wed 20-Jul-11 12:47:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

BT or Idnet - whoever does it, still same question.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 20-Jul-11 16:30:09
Print Post

IDnet weren't identified as a user of IPStream Connect which is the only product affected.

Is that still the case ?

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
ISP Representative miriam_idnet
(isp) Thu 21-Jul-11 11:57:02
Print Post

Re: BT prices to fall on IPstream products *DELETED*

Post deleted by miriam_idnet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
ISP Representative miriam_idnet
(isp) Thu 21-Jul-11 11:57:02
Print Post

Hi Peewee,

This reduction only applies to "Market 1" Exchanges, that is, those where only BT Wholesale is present (i.e. no LLU available) which is therefore mostly the smaller rural exchanges that serve a relatively small proportion of the population. We hope that BT will provide significant cost reductions so that we can pass these onto our customers in the form of price reduction or an increase in download allowance.

However, this new rule from Ofcom only covers ADSL Max ("up-to-8Mbps") at those Exchanges. BT Wholesale expect to increase their nationwide coverage of ADSL2+ ("up-to-24Mbps") to 80% of premises by the end of this year - there are much increased bandwidth allowances available on this service. Moreover, this new rule from Ofcom is to reduce the cost by just 12% per annum but as BT have announced their intention to retire ADSL Max by Spring 2014 (at those Exchanges that have been upgraded to support ADSL2+) then Ofcom's new rule may not have a chance to have much, if any, effect.

Kind regards,

Miriam
IDNet Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
ISP Representative simon_idnet
(isp) Thu 21-Jul-11 13:14:44
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
IDnet weren't identified as a user of IPStream Connect which is the only product affected.

Is that still the case ?

We do take IP Stream Connect.
Standard User peewee
(member) Thu 21-Jul-11 16:00:22
Print Post

[re: miriam_idnet] [link to this post]

Hi Miriam,

Thanks for the info. I am indeed one of those on a Mkt 1 exchange which appears to have no hope in the foreseable of a 21CN upgrade although one was briefly threatened last year and withdrawn - (Woburn Sands SMWS). There's also no LLU so I believe I'm one of those affected?

If I'm honest, with a largish family of downloaders and streamers the connection I have is good but just lacks the 'unlimited' download capacity I would receive from an LLU'd exchange. I have to keep tabs on what they all do as without I'd end up doubling the cost each month.

I realise that if I do end up being 21CN'd then the new rule doesn;t apply but by then I'd be much happier.

Peewee
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 21-Jul-11 16:09:39
Print Post

I have to keep tabs on what they all do as without I'd end up doubling the cost each month.
You may already be using this, but if you log in to your accounts page, near the bottom of the menu on the left there's "Updates Via RSS".

Click that, and you can subscribe to a "Daily Usage Summary" RSS feed, it might make life easier for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Boats and ... [New]_______________BQMs: IPv4, IPv6 & Speeds
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jul-11 18:16:55
Print Post

Thanks for the info. I am indeed one of those on a Mkt 1 exchange which appears to have no hope in the foreseable of a 21CN upgrade although one was briefly threatened last year and withdrawn - (Woburn Sands SMWS). There's also no LLU so I believe I'm one of those affected?

Same as a friend of mine who is 6 miles from me, and I'm on an exchange with all the big providers, yet he is on a tiny 2,460 line exchange.
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/THHW

(Whats up with Samknows? It says THHW and yours are Market 2 when they're obviously 1 !)

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to