User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User BigB32
(member) Fri 07-Oct-11 14:45:53
Print Post

Speed on ADSL2+

[link to this post]

Hi all can I have your comments on my line stats please ,stats are as follows
speed down 4899kbps
speed up 971kbps
SNR Margin up 7.4
SNR Margin down 11.4
Attenuation up 29.3
Attenuation down 47.0
now from what I remember of the numerous speed tests done on the B T Speedtest site when I was on ADSL I was acheiving roughly the same or slightly higher figures then so for me it looks like ADSL2+ is no better than the old ADSL .
I am connected through the test socket via a Billion 7800N router and ADSL Nation filters , the Billion has made no noticable speed difference ,used to connect through a Belkin 7633.

Any comments/ suggestions /thoughts welcomed

Thanks for your time
Brian
Standard User rikbean
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Oct-11 17:56:54
Print Post

Re: Speed on ADSL2+

[re: BigB32] [link to this post]

For some, ADSL2+ has not produced an improvement, for others (including myself) it's significantly better. It all depends on your line characteristics, not just attenuation, but susceptibility to noise. If you have an NTE5 master socket, I would suggest trying the router in the test socket behind the faceplate - ADSL2+ is much more sensitive to noise than ADSL Max, and this will rule out any internal wiring issues. If nothing changes at the test socket, run Routerstats for at least 24 hours and see how the noise margin is fluctuating.

If all else fails, you can be modulated back to ADSL Max and retain the bandwidth allowance for ADSL2+.

Rik
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 07-Oct-11 19:50:06
Print Post

Largely as rikbean says. I would add it looks as though you connected at a slightly noisy time, which will have cost you a bit of speed, but it is more likely you have a wiring problem. I would have expected quite a bit more on ADSL, never mind ADSL2+.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BigB32
(member) Fri 07-Oct-11 22:25:57
Print Post

[re: rikbean] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies guys I will try the test socket and see how it goes and will run Routerstats as you suggest, I half suspected a problem with my wiring might be something to do with the lack of perceived performance I am experiencing.

Brian
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 07-Oct-11 22:38:01
Print Post

Best to connect during daylight hours for speed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to