User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CMEdinburgh
(newbie) Fri 03-Feb-12 16:13:18
Print Post

IS THE GRASS REALLY GREENER ELSEWHERE?

[link to this post]

I joined IDNet 14 months ago, and for all of that time experienced rock steady speeds. As I am amazingly lucky, I live on a FTTC exchange, and close to my cabinet, so got DL 37 mbps, UL 8 mbps, varying by only decimal points during that period.

IDNet's tariff states the maximum peak time download per month and after a couple of months I was on the correct tariff, with a pretty steady 30GB per month usage.

Downloads were amazingly fast, and even uploading pictures to Flickr or video to YouTube never seemed too bad.

However, IDNet are not cheap. OK I know a Merc or BMW costs more than a Mondeo, but the cost was high enough that I was aware of it.

So at the end of the year contract I looked around and found another ISP (PlusNet) with which I had good experience in a rental property I look after. After a bit of calculation, I worked out that my 30 GB usage would cost far less on PlusNet so migrated.

Now, I was really sad to leave IDNet - I had loved the helpfulness of the team and the forum, but I thought that this was a positive move.

So - why am I posting this?

Well, firstly, I found out that PlusNet charge for both UL AND DL data, so my usage was going to push me into the next tariff up. That largely erased the cost saving I had planned to make.

And as PlusNet profile bandwidth, if I wanted to watch Netflix or download video that was shaped unless I paid another £5 per month!

THEN I found out that PlusNet also cap UL speeds at 2mbps, and I was only getting just over 1mbps UL - so my video and image uploads were suddenly going to not only be charged but take a long, long time!

So - back to my spreadsheet and it worked out that I was actually cheaper when I was on IDNet for my usage (which is not high, really) and I would get the whole bandwidth for which I was paying - no caps or profiling!

So a rapid cancellation later, I am returning to IDNet, wiser, chastened, and very unlikely to go after "greener grass" elsewhere again without a huge amount of research and a lot of thought.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 03-Feb-12 18:42:17
Print Post

Re: IS THE GRASS REALLY GREENER ELSEWHERE?

[re: CMEdinburgh] [link to this post]

How long did you stay, and how easy was it to leave?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Fri 03-Feb-12 19:05:50
Print Post

Re: IS THE GRASS REALLY GREENER ELSEWHERE? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Sadoldman

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Fri 03-Feb-12 20:11:16
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

You would not have used censor avoidance if you did not know that expression was not acceptable. There were alternatives that would have still conveyed your meaning.

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

don@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Fri 03-Feb-12 21:31:32
Print Post

[re: Sadoldman] [link to this post]

It's nice that you apparently seem to believe that you know I attempted to circumvent the censor avoidance system you have in place here. But unfortunately, you're very much mistaken. I was merely quoting what's already on AAISP's website, here: http://aa.net.uk/support.html

You could have chosen to manually edit my post, but instead, you removed it in its entirety. Keep up the aggressive moderating. I note your objection for any future posts I make.

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN+IPv6)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 03-Feb-12 22:13:39
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

?
What's the "taste" or lack of on AAISP's website got to do with an edited-by-you version of it that you post on this forum, (where you know the rules), in relation to Plusnet?

I frequently see words in The Times that are banned here. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. I don't use those words here, and most of them extremely rarely in real life. There's no need.

You also probably know that the mods never edit posts here except for such things as removing the posters' phone numbers and IP addresses. And that normally only when it is too late for the poster to do so.

Nor do they object to you editing the deleted post, including the "Deleted" in the header, to restore an acceptable version.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 03-Feb-12 23:45:59)

Standard User elevator
(regular) Fri 03-Feb-12 23:09:41
Print Post

Why does everyone knock BT providing fibre, been over 12 months no problems speed has only dropped low still above 20meg once or twice.

Cost effective

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by elevator (Fri 03-Feb-12 23:10:41)

(newbie) Sat 04-Feb-12 10:52:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The truth only became apparent after a day with PlusNet. Being honest, I had a request in to leave in little over 36 hours when the scale of the situation became fully clear.

It would likely have been even quicker had their network not been almost wholly down for the first 15 hours I was with them.

And now they are dragging their feet over issuing a MAC code - everywhere else I have been took an hour, even minutes to issue it. PlusNet need almost a week!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 04-Feb-12 11:02:09
Print Post

Re: Is the grass really greener elsewhere?

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/t/4078441-o...
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/t/4082586-r... (my reply to the OP contains the above link so don't bother clicking it).
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/t/4085642-f... (and the answers to it).

I suggest you post a new thread there as well. Please don't do the shouty Subject though tongue .

(newbie) Sat 04-Feb-12 11:21:33
Print Post

Re: Is the grass really greener elsewhere?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes - done, but with a slight refocussing of the thrust of the post.

I do think PlusNet are pretty good in most situations (I use them in a rental property as I say) but the way I was hooked into their FTTC product over a lengthy phone call which avoided all of the real problems is very close to misselling.

The sales guy even raved about my line stats and how great my upload speed is - NO mention that they would not let me use it!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to