User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lexden16
(regular) Sat 06-Oct-12 10:16:33
Print Post

New Packages from IDNet

[link to this post]

IDNet has just revised all its BB packages and done away with peak and off-peak times. Will undoubtedly be welcomed by many but will put off some heavy downloaders. That said, the customer forum indicates the existing customers will be allowed to remain on legacy packages.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 06-Oct-12 13:01:09
Print Post

Re: New Packages from IDNet

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

Geeezzzz!

I just went to their Home Page to have a look. See what I see.

D R E A D F U L.

The huge (pointless) pic changes avery 4-5 seconds and I see a crunched up pathetic-looking menu at the top left that has a shrunken login link and almost overlapping columns.

So I scroll the page down. The picture changing continues, and a down-arrow appears at the bottom of the screen.

As the picture changes, (when scrolled down), the scroll bar jumps up to the middle of its range, then drops again to the bottom, whereupon the the picture changes again.

If, (and I have to move fast as I'm using the trackpad on my laptop), try to click on that down-arrow I get a horizontal scroll bar almost obliterating it. If I do manage to click it, nothing happens.

Even I could do better than that, and I recon I am a lousy site designer. Which is odd, because wrt Windows application design I do very user-friendly screens and handling.

[/rant]. Now I'll see if I can find some useful info there.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User TMA
(member) Sat 06-Oct-12 13:11:54
Print Post

Hurrah, no more second class Internet for people stuck on ADSL Max (BT haven't even bothered to announce a date for my exchange to go to ADSL2 - gits). With all the downloadable content for games and HD videos on iplayer etc, having to manage 30GB each month was becoming a chore.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 06-Oct-12 13:17:03
Print Post

Hmmmm. Prices gone up substantially. Lowest fibre is now £27pm for 40/2, with 25GB/unlimited. Used to be ~£25.52 for 40/10, 15/45GB with the option (I took) to pay a year in advance and only pay 11 months. PN is giving me 80/20 250GB/unlimited for £19.99. Plusnet 40/10 40GB/unlimited is £16.49.

Having been on all IDNet 40/10 as above, PN 40/2 that is now 40/10 with no price increase, and now the PN 80/20 above, I notice no difference in network performance.

The general impression is as Timico did to Newnet. Concentrate on business and actively discourage consumer/SOHO. Maybe that explains the recent appearance of a few complaints here of less than helpful support. Previously unheard of.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 06-Oct-12 13:20:35
Print Post

[re: TMA] [link to this post]

Unless the non-fibre products are all using LLU connections, don't count on higher sync than now. All they may have done is merge the ADSL and ADSL2+ BT Wholesale products like nearly all ISPs did ages ago.

IIRC IDNet do have LLU links. Possibly Be.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 06-Oct-12 13:32:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

They have cocked up big with the site layout. The big picture pops up on the ADSL page, and forces a horizontal scroll. Someone using fixed image sizes.

Edit, and misuse of 'clear' or inline / block stuff. Very bad indeed.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.

Edited by camieabz (Sat 06-Oct-12 13:34:38)

Standard User flippery
(member) Sat 06-Oct-12 13:47:48
Print Post

I see nothing wrong with the IDNet Home Page, smart and clean IMO. Easy to traverse links at top, size about same as my Browser.
Trackpads waste of time usb mouse easier and quicker.
Prices for Non Fibre / LLU. High compared to other providers. Saying that, would look at if ever problem with existing provider.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Oct-12 13:50:17
Print Post

and God help those with poor eyesight - haven't they heard of the Disability Discrimination Act and the RNIB contrast recommendations
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 06-Oct-12 14:08:36
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flippery:
I see nothing wrong with the IDNet Home Page, smart and clean IMO. Easy to traverse links at top, size about same as my Browser.
Trackpads waste of time usb mouse easier and quicker.
Well this is a less than one year old Sony i5 machine 17" laptop with 1600x900 resolution. Did you click my link? And the jumping behaviour is appalling. One assumes someone with a much larger screen and higher resolution, such as you apparently have, designed it. Hardly consumer grade. The huge pictures, in relation to everything else, are silly, and the very short replace interval makes them extremely distracting.

An awful lot of users won't have screens as high spec as mine, never mind yours.

Re trackpad, I used to agree they were painful. So I carried on using my thumb-wheel USB mouse for a while. Got really fed up with it to be honest. Fine on a desk, but not on a dining room table or when moving to an armchair and stool in front of the TV to run F1 Live Timing when qualifying and races are on. Started getting RSI as well. A USB mouse would add even more clutter.

So I learned to use the trackpad and am now perfectly happy. The more varied finger use is good.

There should be no reason I should have the hassle I describe. Simply poor site design, as others also comment.

ISP Representative simon_idnet
(isp) Sat 06-Oct-12 16:34:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by lexden16:
IDNet has just revised all its BB packages and done away with peak and off-peak times. Will undoubtedly be welcomed by many but will put off some heavy downloaders. That said, the customer forum indicates the existing customers will be allowed to remain on legacy packages.

That's right, no change to existing packages, unless you ask to change to one of the new ones.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to