User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AuraIndigo
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Mar-13 11:47:25
Print Post

So You Have FTTC?

[link to this post]

BT will come out and install a VDSL modem and a shiny new HH3. The latest firmware for the HH3 renders it useless to those who do not receive their broadband via BT (ie, it won't accept IDNet login details).

You may be able to use your current router using PPPoE however, most routers we have bought for ADSL do this over the ADSL port which again is useless regarding connecting to the VDSL modem (a simple check, your "input" needs to be RJ45 and not RJ11 though also refer to router docs).

There is however a workaround wink

Basically, you need to downgrade the current HH3 firmware and telnet the HH3 with instructions to enable the input of a non-BT username.

I would post how to do this but I'm unsure whether I would be in breach of any TOS or whatever so my advice is to search the net for "HH3 hack" and there is a man who can.

I will invest in a decent router though as the wireless on the HH3 is dire. But at least I'm up and away ... happy hunting wink

Co-founder of IDNetters
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 16-Mar-13 12:17:03
Print Post

Re: So You Have FTTC?

[re: AuraIndigo] [link to this post]

What are you on about?

Unless your installation was done by one of the cowboy contractors to Openreach, and who didn't know what he was doing, you do not get an HH3. Those are BT Infinity customers only. Which is why they are locked down.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 16-Mar-13 12:17:53)

Standard User AuraIndigo
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Mar-13 12:24:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What are you on about?

That's a bit strong? Maybe they had a policy change ...

Plus there are people out there that may buy an HH3 form the BT Shop for £99 and realise it won't work neither, if they don't return it under 7 days DSA then again, a workaround is there.

Help is there for those who need it, simples.

Co-founder of IDNetters

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 16-Mar-13 15:02:39
Print Post

[re: AuraIndigo] [link to this post]

No change of policy HH3 is only for BT Retail customers and an Openreach engineer giving one out is doing the wrong thing

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 16-Mar-13 16:04:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The HH3 is sent by post to the BT Retail customer and the engineer brings the Openreach modem.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 16-Mar-13 17:00:58
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yep. So I wonder where the opening sentence "BT will come out and install a VDSL modem and a shiny new HH3" comes from.

Maybe the OP didn't realise he needed a "cable" router and confused the poor engineer to the extent that he dragged one out of the van. Though what it was doing there we shall never know.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Mar-13 08:44:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

confused the poor engineer to the extent that he dragged one out of the van. Though what it was doing there we shall never know.

There is a product called Broadband Boost offered by Openreach, two CP's currently use this, BT Retail and Plusnet, if the engineer was 'boost' skilled they will be carrying HH3's and Plusnet routers on the van. A boost task is basically an SFI visit, but up to and including the CP's router, ie can be swapped out if proved faulty, also allows for an SNR reset to be done if required.

Edited by Zarjaz (Sun 17-Mar-13 08:53:22)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 17-Mar-13 10:30:37
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

That's worth knowing smile. I'd heard of Boost, but not about the router side - especially Plusnet.

His inventory is going to be a bit light.

Print Thread

Jump to