User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Feb-14 09:18:07
Print Post

Email quota?

[link to this post]

I keep getting this error message, last night and this morning. Eventually I can send the email after considerable delay and the destination address is not relevant, the example below is just an email I sent myself. I am running XP with OE6 and send no more than a couple of emails a day!

BTW This error occurs on both PCs in this house!

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '****@idnet.com'. Subject 'email test', Account: '#####', Server: 'smtp.idnet.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '450 4.7.1 <****@idnet.com>: Recipient address rejected: Policy Rejection- Quota Exceeded [EMAIL Address] - you have exceeded your quota for this hour.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 450, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Andrew

Edited by Andrew_W (Sat 08-Feb-14 09:22:36)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 08-Feb-14 09:26:59
Print Post

Re: Email quota?

[re: Andrew_W] [link to this post]

You may have a virus sending out spam emails using your account.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Sat 08-Feb-14 09:55:45
Print Post

This thread may hold the key to your problems:
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/outlook-express-err...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Feb-14 10:34:19
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
This thread may hold the key to your problems:
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/outlook-express-err...

Thank you! It's got potential smile

Andrew
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Feb-14 15:52:06
Print Post

Well, for some reason, currently, all is working as it should although I have not changed anything!

Andrew
Standard User prlzx
(experienced) Sat 08-Feb-14 15:59:06
Print Post

Start with configuring your various email clients to use port 587 and to authenticate to the right server (the one responsible for that email account/domain) in each case.

So for example if you had a phone with a Gmail account or laptop with a Outlook.com account your would make sure they were contacting their respective servers rather than trying to relay via the ISP (which is not a portable setting anyway).

587 is now a standard port for email clients to submit a new message to a server.
This includes any smartphones and other portable devices.

Port 25 is only really needed for server to server delivery and doing the above means you can safely block it (outgoing and incoming) on your router firewall if you don't have a mail server on site.

Then, while a virus could still be generating spam it wont be able to do direct delivery, nor unauthenticated to your ISPs mail server on port 25, so you eliminate an easy path and it can't impact your quota or get you onto a spam blacklist.

When the protocol was invented, mail clients were not on portable things so would almost always be able to reach their mail server locally. The server could choose to authenticate the client simply by virtue of the message having arrived from the LAN (rather than the internet) together with the From email address being a valid local address.
This would include dial up where the computer still received an address directly on the ISP's network and they would almost always be the email provider too.

Nowadays this is often not the case.

prompt $P - Invalid drive specification - Abort, Retry, Fail? $G
prlzx on iDNET: ADSL2+ / 21CN at ~4Mbps / 700kbps with IP4/6
  Print Thread

Jump to