User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zappaDPJ
(newbie) Fri 17-Apr-15 12:07:10
Print Post

Connection Issues

[link to this post]

I'm not sure how many IDNet customers view this forum but I'm trying to find out if any other IDNet customers are currently having issues with their FTTC service.

Between the hours of 8.00am and midnight my connection is at best only good enough to browse forums and even that is not possible in the hours before midnight.

My Broadband Ping

Speedtests taking during the problem hours range from 0.5Mbps - around 2.5Mbps, packet loss on average sits at around 10-12% and my latency using a ping command swings wildly for around 20ms to 1500ms.

IDNet support are saying there's no problems within their network and they can see nothing wrong with my connection. I'm just wondering at this stage if anyone else is having issues?
Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 17-Apr-15 12:18:56
Print Post

Re: Connection Issues

[re: zappaDPJ] [link to this post]

Yes, very similar here: My Broadband Ping

In reply to a post by zappaDPJ:
IDNet support are saying there's no problems within their network and they can see nothing wrong with my connection.

They may be right, but that doesn't mean they can simply wash their hands of the matter. They should at least find out where the problem is (because there obviously is one) and if it's on someone else's patch then approach them about it.

Because the users sure as hell can't.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Apr-15 16:24:24
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Seems ok south of London

My Broadband Ping

Yellow blocks are simply because of all the changes going on with the speed test, so not a problem.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 17-Apr-15 17:02:22
Print Post

You aren't by any chance routing through Manchester on BTW backhaul are you?

There is apparent a problem there affecting Plusnet and AAISP, if not others, with rumours of a June fix.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 17-Apr-15 17:10:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Don't know about Zap, but I'm in Oxfordshire- not sure where I route through (or how to find out), but I'm not using BT's network anyway.

Bill

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User zappaDPJ
(newbie) Fri 17-Apr-15 18:34:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm in North London, Southgate exchange. I find it beyond odd that you could overlay my BQM with Bill's, they are identical twins and yet there's no geographical link that I can see.
Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 17-Apr-15 19:57:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by zappaDPJ:
I find it beyond odd that you could overlay my BQM with Bill's ...
So do I, but the word coincidence exists because the phenomenon does crazy

I'm still not sure I believe this… had a call from Simon D, at around 17:30. Discussed a few things, support were running out of ideas and, as a straw to clutch, he asked if I'd mind trying a new router (which they would supply).

No need says I, I've got a spare (identical) which I'll happily swap in. Had to wait for a running program to sort itself out and then swapped routers.

Fully expecting nothing to change.

It's been fine ever since. Bit more yellow on the BQM than I'd prefer (see earlier post for a link), but nothing abnormal or to get excited about.

Never in a million years would I have guessed that a fault so obviously due to network congestion was caused by my router (or maybe its PSU) getting old. And I still don't understand why it only occurred from 9am until midnight (noon until midnight at weekends and Bank Holidays!) confused

Needs more time to be sure, but I could be happy again…

Damn, spoke too soon frown

Bill

Edited by billford (Fri 17-Apr-15 20:14:29)

Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 17-Apr-15 23:38:02
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
Damn, spoke too soon frown
Later- but it awoke the thought that it might be something on my LAN that's interfering with normal operation of the router… it's a slow job (waiting at least 15 minutes to see if a change affects the BQM graph) but I might have a lead.

But it's late, the problem doesn't show much over the weekend (odd, that) so full tests will have to wait until Monday.

Bill

Print Thread

Jump to