User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User smurf46
(committed) Mon 09-Nov-15 12:57:13
Print Post

Re: Line Problem

[re: Al1264] [link to this post]

Thanks! Yep, a Fritz! 7390, and a 90% loss of upload speed too. Complete loss of upload tones between the first and second blocks of download tones, leaving just the upload tones before the first block of download tones. 6am, when "it" appeared to happen is consistent with drops due to changes at the DSLAM here. Huawei cabinet, and 06.30 firmware at the Fritz. Should have the ordered 7490 later this week, but with same firmware will probably have the same problem. My main problem seemed to be the huge download latency spikes that accompanied the fall in the upload, in my case.

Might report it to AVM too when I get to try the Fritz! again. I thought they tested the kit with BT (but of course not the other way around), and the 7490 is certainly marketed as compatible with BT FTTC (though that probably means the faceplate and power plug!). If we have to wait for AVM to modify their firmware, we'll be waiting for (almost) ever.

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin

Edited by smurf46 (Mon 09-Nov-15 13:49:00)

Standard User Al1264
(member) Mon 09-Nov-15 14:46:03
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

This is really strange, My 7390 has been 'playing nicely' with FTTC for a few years now, no problems with the introduction of G.INP (quite the opposite in fact). I can only assume that something's changed at the cabinet(s) that the 7390 doesn't like (or, more likely, something at the cabinet that doesn't like the 7390!).
So far I think I've only heard of 7390 users with this problem (no confirmed other models yet), I think the 7390 is the only one using the Ikanos/Fusiv chipset so may be limited to that.
Standard User smurf46
(committed) Mon 09-Nov-15 15:40:10
Print Post

Same here, had the 7390 for 5 years (just out of warranty a few months ago). G.INP improved both my uploads and downloads to as good as they've ever been and virtually eliminated errors, and I've been using the 06.30 firmware for a couple of months with no problem too. Never lost the mid range upload tones before, just did a comparison with the spectrum graphs from 2012/2013. It seems that either my Fritz! modem is on the way out (now seems unlikely as others have the same experience ) or something has changed at the DSLAM.

- Anais Nin

Edited by smurf46 (Mon 09-Nov-15 15:42:59)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User freeola
(member) Tue 10-Nov-15 10:11:44
Print Post

Same here: 7390 since 2011, works fine with g.inp then lost 90% upstream in the last week or so. Running line BTW line tests from our ISP side finds no issues.. I have tried making up a new cable, downgrading the firmware and a few other things but no luck. Hope the issue gets resolved soon.

Freeola
http://freeola.com - Broadband, Hosting & Instant Sites - Support
Standard User smurf46
(committed) Thu 12-Nov-15 18:36:49
Print Post

[re: freeola] [link to this post]

I can now confirm the upload issue doesn't occur on either of the recent firmwares on the 7490. I presume therefore it is an issue affecting specifically the Ikanos chipset in the 7390.

- Anais Nin
Standard User Al1264
(member) Fri 13-Nov-15 11:37:57
Print Post

Hi Freeola,
it is worth submitting a support request to AVM, they have acknowledged mine and asked for further information (DSL report etc. generated by the F!B) which I have submitted. If enough (several) users submit similar reports then the chances of a fix would presumably increase.
Standard User freeola
(member) Fri 13-Nov-15 13:12:18
Print Post

Hi, I've already submitted a support request, sorry should have mentioned that!

Freeola
http://freeola.com - Broadband, Hosting & Instant Sites - Support
Standard User Al1264
(member) Fri 13-Nov-15 13:43:05
Print Post

Thanks for confirming.
Standard User smurf46
(committed) Fri 27-Nov-15 12:30:14
Print Post

Just wonder if with your ISP connections, your know more about this:
http://www.cerberusnetworks.co.uk/index.php/support-...

I've asked AVM to confirm that the 7390 and 7490 are compatible and support the necessary reporting being required by BT, and that they are obtaining an approval. It looks like the Ikanos, and even Lantiq, chips are frozen out.

But it looks as though Fritz! users are stuffed, unless AVM get their fingers out. The single market (or less, likely, Ofcom) are the only things that may put a spoke in BT's works. But the law never seems to have stopped them before. I suspect reducing costs comes before everything. This is the UK, after all.

- Anais Nin

Edited by smurf46 (Fri 27-Nov-15 13:24:51)

Standard User Al1264
(member) Fri 27-Nov-15 14:23:51
Print Post

Trouble is the difficulty in obtaining any list of devices that have passed BT VDSL MCT Certification, the list in the link above does seem to be out of date.
I found a snippet of information here: https://www.btwholesale.com/assets/documents/Previou... (see page 43).
Lantiq is used in BT's own Home Hub 5 (version A), I think it reasonable to assume that's approved, also in OR's own modem (ECI version) so I can't see them being 'frozen out'.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to