User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Jan-16 12:58:55
Print Post

Considered UNSOLICITED BULK EMAIL, apparently from you

[link to this post]

Right, I know that XP and OE6 are unsupported, old etc etc but generally they work OK and are ideal for our undemanding requirements as we are old too!

My wife and I both have a PC, both running the same version of XP and OE6 but when my wife sends an email with a photo attachment or image inserted into the body of the text, IDNet’s servers bounce it back as “unsolicited bulk email. UBE”. Normal email without attachments works fine. I have no problem at all with my PC.

Webmail works OK with attachments but is not the most convenient method of sending emails. I contacted IDNet and they offered no solution pointing out that both XP and OE6 are no longer supported which was not a great help as I knew that already and as my ISP I hoped they would have an answer!!!

So, I fired up another old PC, same spec as above, copied across all OE6 emails etc from my wife’s PC and would you believe, back comes “unsolicited bulk email. UBE” when sending images.

I then created another email address on the old PC changed the POP3 server settings from mail.idnet.com to securemail.idnet.com and, same problem. I even tried my own email address on this PC and that threw up the same error.

It would appear that whatever is causing this error has been imported with the email transfer from one PC to another.

Anybody any idea what it might be, please!

Andrew
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Jan-16 14:53:59
Print Post

Re: Considered UNSOLICITED BULK EMAIL, apparently from you

[re: Andrew_W] [link to this post]

The issue is not your PC set-up beyond using very old software, but the way the IDNet is identifying potential spam, it may be that the signature the Outlook Express 6 presents to the SMTP server matches a common pattern than spammers use, or the images may be of such a size to trigger a warning.

If you use an email client that is not Outlook Express 6 this may go away
https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/ is one free option, and I'm sure others will suggest others too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Jan-16 15:54:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks but that doesn't explain why my OE6 works OK and my wife's on two different PCs doesnt!

Images are no bigger than 150KB

Tried T'bird and that's OK

Andrew

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 18:25:17
Print Post

Well........nothing from IDNet then despite the high cost of a mediocre service wink

Andrew
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 21-Jan-16 20:12:36
Print Post

Is this forum a supported IDNet communication channel?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 20:15:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

How can one tell?? Not much support from any other channel!!

Andrew
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 21-Jan-16 20:33:56
Print Post

You mean their own support aren't interested? They also had an in-house forum when I was with them. IDNetters.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Jan-16 08:29:58
Print Post

No, not interested!

I would have thought Roberto that of all people, you would have had an answer wink

Andrew
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 22-Jan-16 10:06:29
Print Post

Ah, the answer is not to be using ISP email anyway wink.
http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/isp-indep-nt_web-emai...

Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Jan-16 10:27:29
Print Post

Good thought!!!

How about not using ISPs? wink

Andrew
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to