User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User youngsyp
(member) Mon 13-Nov-17 12:03:46
Print Post

New IDNetter, experience so far...

[link to this post]

Hi,

After waiting around 1.5 years for my PCP cabs fibre twin to be enabled, it finally happened around 2 weeks ago. After being with Xilo/ Uno for as long as I remember, I thought I'd change ISP and settled on IDNet after reading a few reviews. All started well with initiating the order but have fallen apart since the due live date of Friday 10th November.
The phone line part of the order mgrated at 14.07 without a hitch so I patiently waited for the broadband switch over, re-configuring my ZyXel VMG8924 in anticipation. As the deadline of 6pm rapidly approached and still no sign of the modem syncing, mI decided to call IDNet to ask for an update. I was greeted by a member of support staff who seemed like it was a real chore to talk to me. He then went on telling me nothing essentially as he didn't have access to any more information than I did, finally telling me that I should give it to midnight and then call again in the morning. So I did and when midnight passed, surprise, surprise, still no modem sync.
8am Saturday came around and I raised a ticket through my portal. Midday then passed and I'd had no acknowledgement of the ticket being raised or an update on the situation so, I decided to call them. This time the chap was more interested in helping me but once more stated that he couldn't tell me anything more although, he did say he'd look into it and call me back. About an hour later I got the callback where it was explained that the order was in the provisioning stage and that as the carrier's provisioning team didn't work on a Saturday so they couldn't find out anymore from them but, they would find out on Monday what was going on and call me to explain. So that was it, no BB for the weekend.
Needless to say, Monday is here and I've not heard anything from them yet. I've raised another ticket and will call them again to get an update.
I think the worst thing about this whole experience is how blase the support staff seem to be about the issue. BB is a necessity in this day and age and none of them seem to grasp that. Very disappointing.

So I'm massively regretting leaving Uno as they're customer service was exceptional. I don't think I ever waited more than an hour for a response on a support ticket, even at unsociable hours of the weekend. You could also track tickets with Uno, which you can't with IDNet, leaving the customer completely in the dark about progress.
Needless to say, as soon as my minimum contractual period with IDNet is up, I'll be moving back to Uno ASAP.

Paul

ISP: Xilo
Service: Talk & Surf Unmetered
Exchange: EMSILVE
Cabinet: 4
MSAN: IFTN
Modem/ router: Zyxel VMG8924-B10A
Attenuation:25.0dB
Target SNRM: 3.3dB or 52% of ISP
Current sync: 18635kbps
ISP Representative miriam_idnet
(isp) Tue 14-Nov-17 09:22:16
Print Post

Re: New IDNetter, experience so far...

[re: youngsyp] [link to this post]

Hi Youngsyp,

Following on from our telephone call yesterday, may I again apologise for the sub par experience you have received so far. We take pride in our outstanding reputation for Customer Support and for standards to have dropped over such a simple thing as keeping you updated on time and a basic courteous phone manner is extremely disappointing. I have of course raised the matter with the team members involved and am taking steps to ensure this is not repeated.

I have also looked into our ticket logging system in the customer portal as we did not receive any of the tickets you raised. This appears to be a clash between AOL and the 'reply to' rules of the form where we set the 'reply to' as the customer address but aol.com only allow e-mails to be sent via their servers according to the DMARC rules. We have now changed this rule to ensure your tickets are received in the future.

As advised, the order delay was due to lack of engineer resources within your local area and we have been assured an engineer has been re assigned to complete the works on Wednesday. I will continue to monitor the job and be in touch if anything changes.

You should continue to be able to use your original service until the works complete on Wednesday.

If there is anything further we can help you with please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Sincerely,

Miriam
IDNet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User youngsyp
(member) Tue 14-Nov-17 10:34:14
Print Post

[re: miriam_idnet] [link to this post]

Hi Miriam,

In complete contrast to the experience I had up until you became involved, the experience I've received whilst we've corresponded has been exactly what I'd expect (and hoped) to receive from IDNet. So thank you for that, it's very much appreciated and has redeemed my confidence in making the decision to move to IDNet as my comms provider.

Regarding using my previous service up until activation, that's not the case unfortunately and I'm guessing is because Uno use TTB via LLU, whereas IDNet use BTW ?! As such, my modem doesn't even attempt to sync using my old ISPs ADSL settings. So I've been without BB since Friday afternoon when my phone line was moved/ activated.

Thanks,

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative miriam_idnet
(isp) Tue 14-Nov-17 11:04:02
Print Post

Glad to hear we are restoring your faith in IDNet!
Will continue our discussion over on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/idnet.net to ensure nothing gets missed posting in 2 places.

Miriam
IDNet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User youngsyp
(member) Tue 14-Nov-17 11:28:05
Print Post

[re: miriam_idnet] [link to this post]

Thanks Miriam and agreed. I'll use this medium to record the journey.

Paul

Standard User youngsyp
(member) Thu 16-Nov-17 10:21:36
Print Post

It's only fair to update this now, following the complete U turn in the customer service I've had from IDNet.
So Miriam kept in touch and updated me on a couple of occasions and I had the all important update at just after 3pm to say I'd been connected. I'd usually remote in to the gateway at home but once again, the ZyXel was messing around.
So when I got home, the first thing I did was log into the ZyXel to check the line stats. BT had given an estimate of a maximum of 47.9Mb/s down and 7.9Mb/s up. The ZyXel was syncing at 53.6Mb/s down and 9.9 Mb/s up with healthy attainable rates of around 56Mb/s down and 12Mb/s up. So I was pretty chuffed.
Later on in the evening, the ZyXel started to refuse access to specific websites again so reluctantly, I powered it down and reset and reset up my backup Billion 8800AXL. After just over 30 minutes downtime, I powered up the 8800AXL and it was syncing at 54998 down and 9999 up, of the highest rate the package I'm subscribing to will allow. Attainable rates had increased to around 60Mb/s down and 15Mb/s up, with very stable SNRM.

With that, I'll leave it for the 10 days it needs to 'train' and will most likely talk to IDNet to switch to the next tier (80/20 I think), so I can make full use of the potential the line is capable of.

Points to note, G.INP isn't enabled on my 'brand new' cabinet, nor is vectoring.

Paul

ISP: IDNet
Service: FTTC Unlimited (55/10)
DSLAM: Huawei
Modem/ router: Billion BiPAC 8800AXL
Attenuation: 21.8
Target SNRM:
Current sync: 54998/ 9999
Standard User Ixel
(member) Thu 16-Nov-17 11:01:56
Print Post

Nice.

Just to say that the 10-day thing is a myth on FTTC. DLM takes effect after 48 hours or so, or sooner if there's a significant amount of re-syncs happening. The 10-day thing is true for BT's DLM on the ADSL2+ service I believe, but not for FTTC's DLM.

Edited by Ixel (Thu 16-Nov-17 11:02:22)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Nov-17 15:46:33
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

Vectoring is also pretty rare on VDSL2 cabinets

The benefits for Huawei based cabinets are usually G.INP and the xDB margins

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User youngsyp
(member) Fri 17-Nov-17 09:49:03
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

Well DLM just kicked in (about 1.5 days since activation) and the depth is now 1189 which is annoying as the line has been up, with no resyncs, happily sitting at 5.5 - 5.6dB down and 7.9dB up for SNRM for almost 2 days.

So ping to the BBC has increased by 13ms, or doubled.

Hopefully it's just a minor intervention and will lift soon enough.

Paul

ISP: IDNet
Service: FTTC Unlimited (55/10)
DSLAM: Huawei
Modem/ router: Billion BiPAC 8800AXL
Attenuation: 21.8
Target SNRM:
Current sync: 54998/ 9999
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 17-Nov-17 09:54:35
Print Post

That intervention is probably due to the number of errors on the line. You could consider using dslstats to monitor your line 24*7 which could highlight problems.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to