User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User yamster
(newbie) Sat 13-Jan-18 21:48:27
Print Post

Gaming Lag Issues

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I have just joined IDnet and signed up to the gaming package. At the moment I am getting lag or some kind of latency issues.

Can someone look at my router stats which were taken over a 4 hour period and let me know if they can see any issues.

vdsl status

---------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A/B/C) -----------
Running Mode : 17A State : SHOWTIME
DS Actual Rate : 54997000 bps US Actual Rate : 19000000 bps
DS Attainable Rate : 61907252 bps US Attainable Rate : 21612000 bps
DS Path Mode : Fast US Path Mode : Fast
DS Interleave Depth : 1 US Interleave Depth : 1
NE Current Attenuation : 17 dB Cur SNR Margin : 7 dB
DS actual PSD : 7. 7 dB US actual PSD : 13. 3 dB
NE CRC Count : 4 FE CRC Count : 18724
NE ES Count : 2 FE ES Count : 16135
Xdsl Reset Times : 0 Xdsl Link Times : 1
ITU Version[0] : b5004946 ITU Version[1] : 544e0000
VDSL Firmware Version : 05-07-06-0D-01-07 [with Vectoring support]
Power Management Mode : DSL_G997_PMS_L0
Test Mode : DISABLE
-------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
Far Current Attenuation : 24 dB Far SNR Margin : 7 dB
CO ITU Version[0] : b5004244 CO ITU Version[1] : 434da48c
DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < BDCM >
> vdsl status more

---------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A/B/C) -----------
Near End Far End Note
Trellis : 1 1
Bitswap : 1 1
ReTxEnable : 0 1
VirtualNoise : 0 0
20BitSupport : 0 0
LatencyPath : 0 0
LOS : 0 0
LOF : 0 0
LPR : 0 0
LOM : 0 0
SosSuccess : 0 0
NCD : 0 0
LCD : 0 0
FECS : 0 9129504 (seconds)
ES : 2 16135 (seconds)
SES : 0 14 (seconds)
LOSS : 0 3 (seconds)
UAS : 79 48764 (seconds)
HECError : 0 0
CRC : 4 18724
RsCorrection : 0 0
INP : 0 220 (symbols)
InterleaveDelay : 0 15 (1/100 ms)
NFEC : 254 32
RFEC : 16 16
LSYMB : 5106 16
INTLVBLOCK : 127 32
AELEM : 0 ----
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 14-Jan-18 09:51:42
Print Post

Re: Gaming Lag Issues

[re: yamster] [link to this post]

The ES Errored Seconds at 16,135 seems high for four hours, since only 14400 seconds in a four hour period or was the last sync a lot longer ago than 4 hours

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yamster
(newbie) Mon 22-Jan-18 09:52:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi.

IDNET have said they found a fault which has been resolved. I have checked my connection and they router has been up for 8 hours and here are the stats

VDSL STATs

It all seems to be on the far end. Can anyone advice on how I move this forward.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Jan-18 13:33:43
Print Post

The DLM system will usually slow things down if the error rates are causing errors, this cannot be tweaked manually and its very rare for it to not react if errors are impacting service.

What does a speed test result look like? i.e. supply a link to the result from https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

It is possible you may be seeing some congestion on top of the errors.

NOTE: Unavailable Seconds (UAS) line at 55,131 is odd as 8 hours only has 28,800 seconds in it, a turn off and turn on of the router to reset the counters is probably a good thing to do.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yamster
(newbie) Mon 22-Jan-18 14:23:40
Print Post

Hi MrSaffron,

Thanks for coming back to me. I will reset the router tonight and take a new screen shot. I will also run a speed test and post it in the morning.

Just from your experience would you say it's something my end or something at the cabinet?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Jan-18 15:36:22
Print Post

Impossible to say for sure, it may be you have multiple issues, e.g. some errors and some congestion

Standard User yamster
(newbie) Mon 22-Jan-18 17:54:29
Print Post

Hi MrSaffron,

I have completed a speed test and here are the results. This was over wireless so that is why the ping is high, wired you are looking at around 12ms and the same speeds

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/but...

I have also got the following info on the stats. The modem / router has been up for 18:40:16 and here are the stats

https://ibb.co/ka3gMw
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Jan-18 21:13:37
Print Post

So UAS has not increased compared to earlier...

If I told you that the tbbx1 (single download) and httpx6 (six downloads) should be the same speeds you can see a problem with the speed test, but this needs to be done over ethernet again to get a better idea and rule out wireless as the reason for issues.

Also worth repeating the test outside peak hours, so try running it between 2am and 11am to see if things look better

Standard User yamster
(newbie) Thu 25-Jan-18 12:20:39
Print Post

Hi Guys,

IDNET have ran all there tests and found no fault. They came back with the below.

All tests on the circuit pass ok and show no obvious issues. Is the router sited near any other electrical devices? Upstream errors can be caused by interference generated by some other appliances that could be causing the issues. it may also be worth checking cables etc.

The router is next to the TV and also the SkyQ box is sitting under the router in a cupboard. I am going to buy some Ferrite rings and hope for the best.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 25-Jan-18 16:44:50
Print Post

If the lag was noise induced you'd expect it to be very visible in the DSL stats

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-Jan-18 17:10:30
Print Post

The errored seconds are all on his upstream. However his upstream performance on teh speed test is quite good. It's the single thread downstream that is suffering. I'm at a loss, other than to think playing about with ferrites may not achieve anything.
Standard User yamster
(newbie) Thu 25-Jan-18 19:45:08
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

Thanks for the responses.

I ran a speed test wired directly into the router and here are the results.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15169092741...

I have also setup the broadband monitoring tool so I will see what that gives me.

This is really driving me nuts, When gaming I feel like I am behind everyone else or things are just not registering.
Standard User yamster
(newbie) Fri 26-Jan-18 08:21:34
Print Post

Hi Guys,

I setup the broadband quality monitor yesterday. It seems when I am on the xbox or if anyone is using the internet the latency is really high.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

This makes sense because web pages take time to load and also the latency correspond to the gaming lag.

Any advice on what I can do? Is this something I can go back to IDNET gaming with?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 26-Jan-18 12:18:41
Print Post

HINT: When gaming its best to not having anything else using the connection if lag is critical

i.e. the yellow areas are normal for when a connection is in use i.e. the packets providing the data for a web page interleave with the ping packets and thus delay things a bit.

The large blue area at around 7pm is unusually large though, but if a game was downloading an update then that can happen

Congestion and connection based lag issues should continue to show up even the connection is idle.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to