User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zzing123
(learned) Fri 18-May-18 01:23:22
Print Post

G.Fast plans?

[link to this post]

Does anyone from IDnet care to comment on any plans for offering G.Fast to lowly customers?
Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 18-May-18 10:14:24
Print Post

Re: G.Fast plans?

[re: zzing123] [link to this post]

As far as I'm aware, provision of G.Fast is not within IDNet's gift... or any other ISP's come to that.

If BT provide it on a cabinet then you'll get it (whether you want it or not). If they don't you won't, and BT are not renowned for disclosing their future plans to third parties frown

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Fri 18-May-18 10:38:25
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
If BT provide it on a cabinet then you'll get it (whether you want it or not).

Wait what? Not sure where you got that rubbish information from.

If a G.Fast pod is added to the cabinet, it's not an automatic upgrade to G.Fast and would require the end user to subscribe to a G.fast service and if they don't then they would still stay on their current service.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 18-May-18 10:43:51
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by robertcrowther:
If a G.Fast pod is added to the cabinet, it's not an automatic upgrade to G.Fast and would require the end user to subscribe to a G.fast service and if they don't then they would still stay on their current service.
I didn't know that... thanks for the correction.

The "negative" aspect still applies of course- if BT don't provide it then an ISP can't either! Does the OP know whether a pod has been added to their cabinet I wonder? It would explain the post, and suggest that I misinterpreted it.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User NGDragon
(newbie) Fri 18-May-18 12:05:33
Print Post

As of Jan/Feb 2018 Idnet informed me that....

"This service has not yet been released as a product as yet, as such there is not yet a pricing structure in place for it. As soon as the service has been released, details along with pricing will be available on our website. We do not yet have an ETA, I'm afraid."

My cabinet had gone live and was showing on the DSL checker at that time, as far as I am aware the situation hasn't changed and I left in mid March and moved to BT on the Ultrafast 2 product (install was delayed by myself to fit in with other plans).

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 18-May-18 12:43:01
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In this case much better to say if 'Openreach don't supply it' since for millions BT means Infinity range of products

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zzing123
(learned) Tue 22-May-18 03:22:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's still a trial product, but Cerberus, uno and TalkTalk all provide it. What that means is other ISPs can sell it, even under LLU (like TT would), but the product might change between it becoming a formal product. RevK is worrying about his backhaul and getting his upstream pipes and LNS's sorted for AAISP before he offers increased speeds, and even then only 160mbps.

I'm just asking if IDnet are (at least planning on) getting on the bandwagon.
Standard User zzing123
(learned) Tue 22-May-18 03:31:32
Print Post

[re: NGDragon] [link to this post]

So from this I'm assuming they want to wait until the trial is over. Their response is a slight fib as there is pricing and it can be ordered if they wanted to offer it.

I will need it for Sep/Oct timeframe (or whenever the builders finish), so I can wait a bit.
Standard User NGDragon
(learned) Tue 22-May-18 11:38:23
Print Post

I think that is partially correct...the product is available just not nationally to all exchanges/cabinets and as a business decision they will not be selling it until then. Much easier decision than having it on a website and dealing with costumers who are not eligible/too far away etc. smile

For myself it was a simple decision...I was having single thread issues that were not being taken seriously (streaming was a nightmare) so decided to leave and the cost increase was not that bad once you factor in cash back.

Print Thread

Jump to