User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tthom
(committed) Tue 26-Jun-18 11:45:18
Print Post

Thinking of moving to idnet

[link to this post]

Hi all

I'm thinking of moving over from BT but need to know which backhaul do they use.. BTW, talktalk or other?

Broadband Providers Aoll/O2/Virgin Media(Cable)/BE/BT infinity/Talktalk/BT Infinity 60/11 Sync
[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3798886040.png[/img]
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Jun-18 21:30:39
Print Post

Re: Thinking of moving to idnet

[re: tthom] [link to this post]

BTw, TTB or Zen. When I joined last November, I believe they defaulted to Zen. I asked to go onto TTB but had single thread speed issus, so they moved me to BTw free of charge.
Standard User wowitsme
(newbie) Sat 30-Jun-18 19:19:49
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

Ive been with them 4 days and im getting slow downs at peak times, my old isp never had slow downs but idnet is slow each evening.

I should be getting 62/18 but after 6-7pm i end up with 40/18 and im paying more with with idnet than i was with old isp.

But i do know of some people who are happy with idnet and they have no problems so i guess you just have to take a chance good thing is if u aint happy you can switch after 1 month.

Someone on another forum suggested it could be down to the football, i dont really know.

If things dont pick up then im moving again.

Edited by wowitsme (Sat 30-Jun-18 22:27:20)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User steve195527
(newbie) Sun 01-Jul-18 00:59:33
Print Post

[re: wowitsme] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wowitsme:
Ive been with them 4 days and im getting slow downs at peak times, my old isp never had slow downs but idnet is slow each evening.

I should be getting 62/18 but after 6-7pm i end up with 40/18 and im paying more with with idnet than i was with old isp.

But i do know of some people who are happy with idnet and they have no problems so i guess you just have to take a chance good thing is if u aint happy you can switch after 1 month.

Someone on another forum suggested it could be down to the football, i dont really know.

If things dont pick up then im moving again.

Have you spoken to Idnet support about your issues?they are usually on the ball when it comes to sorting problems out
Standard User wowitsme
(newbie) Sun 09-Sep-18 22:51:20
Print Post

[re: steve195527] [link to this post]

everything seams to have settled and all seams fine now, i have spoken to idnet and they have been very helpful.

IDNET ~ 80/20

Edited by wowitsme (Sun 09-Sep-18 22:53:30)

Standard User baudot
(newbie) Fri 05-Oct-18 14:59:32
Print Post

[re: wowitsme] [link to this post]

I too thinking of moving to IDNet.

Does anyone know how many employees IDNet have? I read somewhere it's a very small number, and company revenue tiny in comparison to Zen for example?

Many thanks.
Standard User blueacid
(experienced) Mon 22-Oct-18 17:47:52
Print Post

[re: baudot] [link to this post]

Not sure why that would matter? Surely if the service is sufficient and the price for that service is something you're happy paying then you're good to go?
Standard User steve195527
(newbie) Mon 22-Oct-18 20:21:18
Print Post

being small is a good thing,means when you get in contact they all seem to know what has been done or spoken about previously,you don't have to go through things again and again
ps it may be small compred to zen but it's minute compared to virgin or bt:-I know which I prefer,size isn't everything

Edited by steve195527 (Mon 22-Oct-18 20:24:07)

Standard User baudot
(newbie) Mon 22-Oct-18 22:00:45
Print Post

[re: steve195527] [link to this post]

On the other hand, if they are really sub 10 people then what happens when the accountant or the technician is off sick or takes a holiday? And if they'd been successful over all the years of trading then why still operating with a handful of people, and how?!

I'd have preferred an answer to my question rather than reasons not to ask!

In any case, don't matter for time being as my Northwest London exchange isn't all fibre and has run out of capacity despite Ofcom and BT stating FTTC available.

So here we have in 2018 a Greater London area limited to sub 3 Mbps download. I think I can forget upload to cloud services. Despicable.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Oct-18 22:47:18
Print Post

Your exchange won't have "run out of fibre". In most likelihood you are either on an Exchange Only line or the cab to which your phone line is connected is temporarily out of capacity and either waiting for an additional line card or expansion.
Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Tue 23-Oct-18 10:27:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by baudot:
And if they'd been successful over all the years of trading then why still operating with a handful of people.......
Maybe they prefer to be a niche provider. Not all people aspire to be another Gates or Zuckerberg.

The question is pointless since what matters is whether they provide a good and reliable service at a price sufficient people consider good value.

The latest survey from ISPReview which places them No2 in customer satisfaction and the fact they have been going for some 20 years demonstrates they have a viable business model.

Either you feel what they offer as being of sufficient value to you or you don't, in which case feel free to consider one of the larger providers.
Standard User baudot
(newbie) Tue 23-Oct-18 19:20:05
Print Post

[re: Tacitus] [link to this post]

Whatever the technicalities behind what the telco/broadband companies are telling me, the fact remains that I can't get FTTC from anyone. And furthermore, even worse if only a card install, they can't give me timescales for when it will be available.

And my question was meaningful to me even if the point wasn't judged to be so by others. If I wanted a Gates I'd have simply gone to BT. Instead I was intrigued by the reviews for idnet in light of website stating comparisons only available for companies with sufficient reviews. As I have no personal experience with idnet my due diligence included the revelation they were so good with so few. I'm still curious.

In any case I had to make a decision for the damp piece of string I've ended up with and so all this is irrelevant apart from an intellectual argument or maybe could have been of help to someone else like me.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Oct-18 21:45:09
Print Post

What does the BT Wholesale Checker say? Enter either your phone number of if not recognised the Address checker (NOT the postcode checker) enter your post code and then select your address from the drop down box.
Does the Address line at the top state a cabinet number? If not then you are on an Exchange Only line which would explain why FTTC is not available.
If a cabinet number is shown, is there a section at the top labeled VDSL Range and if yes what does it say in the column headed WBC FTTC Availability Date?

If a cabinet number is shown but there is no section labeled VDSL Range then it is possible/probable that the cabinet has not got an FTTC twin. If this is the case post your exchange name and cabinet number and it is possible that someone may be able to help and let you know when/if it is planned to be updated.
Standard User mpellatt
(member) Fri 02-Nov-18 08:15:36
Print Post

There's only one provider of FTTC who then supply the ISPs - Openreach - so if one ISP (other than Sky possibly) can't supply it, none will be able to. In the vast majority of urban areas, there are 2 main reasons that FTTC can't be supplied. One (capacity at a local cabinet) is fixable by Openreach in fairly short timescale. The other (your line goes straight into the exchange without going through an intermediate cabinet) isn't. You can find out which is likely to apply to you without too much effort, and there's plenty here who will help you.

I'm on the end of a damp piece of string too (3.5Km+ long). I knew this would be an issue when we bought the place. IDnet and A&A were the only 2 ISPs I'd even consider. A&A's business model means they don't have an unlimited offering (although the allowance on their business bonded VDSL product is close enough smile ) so it was IDnet.

Given that the vast majority of issues will be with the kit owned by Openreach or BT Wholesale, what counts is an ISP who can "drive" those issues. That will invariably be a small one, because decent, motivated techies will be on the frontline. Deffo my experience with IDNet.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 02-Nov-18 10:31:50
Print Post

[re: mpellatt] [link to this post]

Most people would consider the 2TB AAISP Home:1 allowance adequate. There is a 3TB option and SOHO:1 goes up to 5TB. All without bonding, which could of course be added.

Also AAISP gives a cumulative rollover of 50% of unused allowance each month.

All available on ADSL2+ as well as FTTC and FTTP.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 71908/13506Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 02-Nov-18 10:34:52)

Standard User mpellatt
(member) Fri 02-Nov-18 11:30:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Dang, missed that. Take it all back. IDNet == A&A.
Standard User GonePostal
(member) Wed 07-Nov-18 10:46:09
Print Post

Been with IDNet for a month now after a period with one of the budget ISPs. I'm paying a bit more but to put it in perspective the extra is less than the price of a pint of beer a week. In the last month, downstream SNR has been reset down from 6dB to 3dB, sync speed has risen from 66999 to 79999, download speedtest results have improved from about 62Mbps to about 70Mbps and no single thread congestion in the busy periods.

Well pleased.
Standard User zzing123
(learned) Wed 07-Nov-18 15:56:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by mpellatt:
There's only one provider of FTTC who then supply the ISPs - Openreach - so if one ISP (other than Sky possibly) can't supply it, none will be able to.

That's slightly disingenuous. While it's true that OR equipment is needed for the cabinet DSLAMs and FTTC needs to be available generally for any to offer it, OR is only responsible for the connection between your house and the Exchange, but Talk Talk, Sky (from their purchase of BE and Bulldog) and several others have their own equipment in the exchange (this is what LLU or MPF means), and their own leased lines (back haul) to the main Intertubes. So you completely bypass BT Wholesale entirely.

On subject both IDnet and AAISP are IMO the 2 best ISPs in the UK. You can't go wrong with either.

Edited by zzing123 (Wed 07-Nov-18 16:01:46)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 07-Nov-18 20:40:02
Print Post

[re: zzing123] [link to this post]

There is no such thing as LLU for FTTC.

LLU = Local Loop Unbundling/Unbundled. The local loop is the copper lines between the premises and the exchange. An LLU supplier has its own MSANs in the exchange and has full and direct control of the broadband connection via that copper line, which in effect terminates on those MSANs.

FTTC does not go to the exchange on those copper lines. It splits from the PSTN service at the FTTC cabinet having got there via the PCP, hence the name of the product. From there the copper returns to the PCP and onward to the original exchange destination.

The FTTC then goes to an Openreach termination block at either that or a bigger head-end exchange, and from there is connected using GEA link cables to the underlying provider. (BT Wholesale, Sky, TalkTalk, Vodafone and somehow to Zen).

In general, when an exchange first gets FTTC availability it will be BT Wholesale using it first as they get the GEA cable links in. Sky tend to be next. TalkTalk can be a bit behind. Vodafone I don't know about in this respect, and Zen's coverage of exchanges is relatively small.

GEA is Openreach's name for their FTTC/FTTP products, which satisfy Ofcom's VULA specification.

These providers have no direct control of the service. They can specify in their order on Openreach a few parameters such as a setting for highest speed, greatest stability, or a "happy medium".

Furthermore, LLU comes in both MPF and SMPF form. There is no technical reason for both ADSL2+ and PSTN services on a line to be from the same supplier. An example being O2, and Sky in earlier days. It is purely a marketing decision by broadband suppliers to force customers to put their line rental also with them.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 71908/13506Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 07-Nov-18 20:46:32)

Standard User mrkevlh
(newbie) Thu 08-Nov-18 12:26:52
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

I've also been with IDNET (since April) but unfortunately I'm suffering from single threaded issues. Multithreaded has been fine (about 74Mbps) but single threaded varies between 35-55 during the day and off peak sometimes 65+. They are looking into their back haul connections and hopefully will be sorted soon. If not I'll try AAISP.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-Nov-18 17:21:52
Print Post

[re: mrkevlh] [link to this post]

Interesting as my single thread speeds have been consistently in the 30-45 mbps since at least the beginning of September. It could have been earlier as I don't have any saved TBB results for July & August. No variety with time of day though.

First raised a couple of months ago with no joy, but getting some leverage now as they are looking to reroute our traffic through the backhaul.

I wonder whether I was just seen as a spurious one-off when I raised the problem initially in September.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Nov-18 19:40:04
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jaydub:
Interesting as my single thread speeds have been consistently in the 30-45 mbps since at least the beginning of September. It could have been earlier as I don't have any saved TBB results for July & August. No variety with time of day though.
You haven't recently changed your hardware have you? The reason I ask is that the last two laptops I owned struggled with single threaded tests (wired and wireless). They spent most of the test ramping up. I was never able to find out why. Then I had to replace the laptop and the new one (an HP Pro Book) goes straight to full speed on both tests.

There might be some aspect of the test that causes it to give poor readings on some hardware. I vaguely recall it started after one of the Windows 10 updates for what that's worth.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Nov-18 22:51:41
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

All testing has been performed on an IMac. Router and modem hardware has changes a bit, but results with my Netgear Orbi / ZyXel VMG1312-B10A are equivalent to tests run on a ZyXel VMG8924-B10A. All cables swapped out with no obvious difference. Testing from the test socket with a dangly filter yields similar results. I've tried with KIS for Mac installed and uninstalled and no discernible difference.

My work laptop only manages a maximum of 45mbps on both the single and multithread tests.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to