Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User digi
(member) Thu 29-Jul-10 01:48:05
Print Post

Sony internet tv enabled devices.

[link to this post]

Does anyone have a Sony device (e.g. TV, Blu-ray player, sound system) with the built in Sony internet tv functions?

If so what is the picture quality like when streaming internet video? and can it (Sony internet tv) actually play HD youtube or HD BBC iplayer videos?

As I need a new blu ray player, I'm just wondering if its worth getting one with Sony internet tv built in?

Sony Internet tv link
Standard User aambb
(regular) Wed 04-Aug-10 14:00:09
Print Post

Re: Sony internet tv enabled devices.

[re: digi] [link to this post]

I've got a Sony BDP-S373 Blu ray player and have to say it is nothing short of fantastic.

It does indeed play HD content from iPlayer and LoveFilm and I assume it can do the same from YouTube but I've not yet looked at any HD video from YouTube.

Quality is superb and as good as "live" HD received from Sky.

Of course, the quality might vary depending upon your download speed but ours is pretty slow in the evening and it still seems to cope very well (iPlayer streaming on the PC in the evening is pretty much unwatchable but the BDP seems to produce excellant quality smooth playback)
Standard User digi
(member) Thu 19-Aug-10 14:37:14
Print Post

[re: aambb] [link to this post]

Sounds great, thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shaunhw
(experienced) Tue 22-Mar-11 16:56:38
Print Post

Hmmm...

I've never yet seen HD content from LoveFilm (Sony BDP S370). It's all standard upscaled definition stuff from them via the internet for now.

Some BBC stuff on the iPlayer app is available in higher resolution, but it doesn't seem to be full HD standard even then. With the size of screen I have the difference is immediately obvious. Only blu ray and to a slightly lesser extent, SkyHD provide the maximum resolution.

The Sony Blu Ray device can surely play streamed HD content, but is limited to what the provider has made available, and of course your internet bandwidth.

Tested with Sony VPL-HW15 SRXD full HD (1920x1080) projector and 100 inch fixed screen.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't realise this was such an old thread. Still it might interest someone.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Be Pro and 8 static IPs
Be Box in Bridge mode, DrayTek 2910VG router/wireless, NetGear FS 116 hub/switch

Edited by shaunhw (Tue 22-Mar-11 16:57:56)

Standard User Crewe32
(newbie) Sat 09-Jul-11 12:04:38
Print Post

I have an BDP-S380 Blu ray player. Some users, me included (see Sony forum https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/thread/119824 ) cannot get the BBC HD content to play. I have FTTC and at least 30Mbps download speed. Only by interrupting playback before it crashes (about 2 seconds) and then fast forwarding to any point in the program and then rewinding can I watch BBC HD content. If I rewind right to the start it crashes again. Other HD content is fine e.g. uStudio, Berlin Philharmonic trailers. Sony are adamant this is not a fault in the player (I have had it swapped out once). My ISP (Zen) suggest it might be an issue connected with the location of servers used to distribute the IPTV. I have tested my box in 3 different location in Cheshire, 3 different exchanges, 3 different ISP's and the result is the same. Sony say their staff who have these devices in the south of England have no problems watching this content and seem unwilling to investigate why my box does not work in my location.
  Print Thread

Jump to