Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Littleseen
(newbie) Mon 21-Feb-11 15:03:09
Print Post

BBC iPlayer

[link to this post]

To my utter amazement my stepson (who has just gone to Oz for a year) reports back to me that BBC tv programmes cannot be rec'd Down 'Under over the internet. Can anybody explain this to me? I click on the web, go to BBC homepage, select iPlayer and there it is.

It comes over the web. So, no matter where you are in the world, if you can get on the web you can get BBC? Apparently not.

It cannot be a matter of copyright issues (stuff restricted to first British serial rights) because a great deal of the BBC's volume is entirely their copyright. My stepson has a pc, access to the web, in Oz (Sydney actually). Why is he blocked from accessing iPlayer whereas I am not here in the UK. Is there a workaround? Thanx in advance O Fountains of All-Wisdom

Obscurity is a comfortable cloak
Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 21-Feb-11 15:27:19
Print Post

Re: BBC iPlayer

[re: Littleseen] [link to this post]

I guess the BBC block access from machines known to be abroad. We pay via our licence fee. Overseas can buy the damn DVD.

The IP address of your stepson's machine will reveal his location. If he wants to access the BBC he could try going through a UK based proxy. e.g. something like http://www.daveproxy.co.uk/

Edited by john2007 (Mon 21-Feb-11 15:28:15)

Standard User Cobra001
(committed) Mon 21-Feb-11 15:33:32
Print Post

it clear on the BBCI site for all to see, BBCI player is solely for UK people in the UK

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spasch
(experienced) Mon 21-Feb-11 15:40:12
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

As an alternative to using a public proxy, you can always download a copy of CCProxy (free for up to 3 users) and let your son proxy through your connection.
Standard User undecidedadrian
(learned) Mon 21-Feb-11 15:51:02
Print Post

Actually the BBC makes a very large amount of money selling on it's shows to foreign TV companies and when it buys films etc it will be strictly for UK market only.

It is very simple process there is a big lookup table where your IP address is matched against it and the BBC, or MS on the Xbox etc can "see" where you are.

Of course as already mentioned using a proxy means that address is the one that is used and so you can get around any region locking they have tried to use.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 25-Feb-11 09:03:42
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

Surely that will restrict the speed to the OPs uplink speed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 25-Feb-11 09:04:55
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

The BBC and others know the main proxy sites and ban those too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Spasch
(experienced) Fri 25-Feb-11 12:11:18
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Yes, it will, but if you're streaming standard definition, it's normally enough (as long as you don't mind a bit of buffering).. Of course, if the 'proxy' is on FTTC then it's not an issue.. laugh
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Feb-11 12:24:59
Print Post

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/informati...
All seems fair to me. I believe there has been talk about eventually having a pay version for those outside of the UK.

3.2 How you may NOT use BBC iPlayer
3.2.1 If you are outside of the UK
You may not watch or download BBC Content using BBC iPlayer if you are outside of the UK, although you may listen to some (but not all) BBC radio content if you are outside of the UK. The types of BBC radio content that may be available outside of the UK will depend on the BBC's agreements with the persons who own rights in such content.

Print Thread

Jump to