Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Mar-11 18:48:15
Print Post

Internet TVs

[link to this post]

Are they any good? If so, which ones?

I don't need anything bigger than 37". I do, however, need something that is easy for my mother to use.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Windows Vista Sir?"
"No thanks, I'd rather shove wasps up my nostrils!" .
Mick's Blog | Greasemonkey scripts
Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Sun 13-Mar-11 16:55:19
Print Post

Re: Internet TVs

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Not sure what you want the internet for.

I have an LG Plasma that has Netcast, and BBC IPlayer is certainly handy. As long as it is set up you just use your remote. Mine is working on Homeplugs and so far so good.

With LG it has 10 different options but for me only Picasa, iPlayer and YouTube are of any practical use to me, iPlayer specifically as the others I use my PC for in the main.

Visitors eyes soon glaze over if I try and use Picasa...so I don't anymore.smile

Each manufacturer has there own version and offerings as to what is best it is a matter of choice. A lot of stuff is pay on demand films and Google maps is interesting to look at...but only once!smile

Over the next year I think we will be seeing lots of separate boxes on offer doing this job and offering a lot more so perhaps better to concentrate on getting the best TV as regards picture quality and not worry too much about internet connectivity.

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

don@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Mar-11 20:34:15
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
Are they any good? If so, which ones?

I don't need anything bigger than 37". I do, however, need something that is easy for my mother to use.
Two years ago I see a Pioneer Plasma TV, it was the best picture I had ever seen price £3000. I said when I see a reasonably priced TV with a picture equal to that I will buy it.

I looked at all makes and types it took me 18 months to choose one, I went for the Samsung LCD LE40C650 the picture quality is impressive its cinematic. I have not seen a better TV picture, I still keep looking. Get 40Ē I think 40-inch is the standard size now.

Ethernet connects the TV to my router, itís easy to operate, last Thursday evening I went into Internet applications and it flashed on the screen, firmware update for your TV. It took 2 minutes to download and I now have four HD channels, BBC one HD, ITV1 HD, Channel 4 HD, BBC HD.
I downloaded BBC iPlayer soon after I bought the TV eight months ago, Internet@TV comes as standard donít get 3D TV thatís a load of rubbish.

The TV is on display at Tesco and PC World, go get one! wink

Best price at Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE40C650-Widescreen-...

Orange (SMPF) LLU 20 Meg. Sync 11864 Kbps Downstream, 1157 Kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ wireless router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Sun 13-Mar-11 21:50:06)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Guest_Again
(legend) Fri 08-Apr-11 01:05:26
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Considered the Samsung UE40C7000 LED 3D TV? IIRC it's only 3cm thick.

Expensive - I was almost tempted. Yummy.

Be* with this (XP Pro & Win7), and a MacBook Pro (OS X)

FREE & Easy Tweaks for WHATEVER Your Speed - CLICK HERE!

Use DrTCP & DMT + settings

Link 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - Be* Here wink
Standard User Guest_Again
(legend) Fri 27-May-11 23:56:09
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

LI now use a Samsung 40C750 3D LCD TV - And with the 3D bluray Player, it sure is the canines-testes.

There are more and more 3D movies & games out there aalllll the time.....

Normal DVDs look soooo much sharper and cleaner - it's the way tHAT IT SHOULD BE... darnit!!!!

The audio on this 200hz LCD IS FAR SWEETER THAN THESE DEFAULT LED SCREENS.

I'm loving it so faaaaaar!

Be* with this (XP Pro & Win7), and a MacBook Pro (OS X)

FREE & Easy Tweaks for WHATEVER Your Speed - CLICK HERE!

Use DrTCP & DMT + settings

Link 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - Be* Here wink
  Print Thread

Jump to