Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Feb-12 11:32:41
Print Post

So is it the future?

[link to this post]

Is IPTV the future, will it replace normal linier T.V?

I think there will be a place for normal T.V for a few years yet, certainly for stuff like sport if that is what you like, but I think video on Demand services are going to become stronger this year.

With Netflix launching over here and also sky now saying they want to do a online video service, i think it could be a exiting year.

I cancelled my t.V licence a month ago as I feel that the licence fee is not worth paying for, i had a free trial of Netflix and to be honest was surprised how much on there I like to watch, sure the choice could be better.

I also got a lovefilm account, £4.07 for 2 films a month via post, what I am thinking of doing is upping that to 3 films a month via post and 2 hours online and also keeping my netflix account. Paid for another month anyway.

I worked out that both subscriptions cost about the same as my T.v licence would have and offer me more, plus if there is anything I really want to watch on t.V, there are still catch up services available, like Iplayer.

Seems a good deal to me.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Sun 12-Feb-12 11:36:28
Print Post

Re: So is it the future?

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Normal TV will be around for a while yet. If it disappears, what will the BBC do? No more TV license! wink

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN+IPv6)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Standard User Kiggs
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 12-Feb-12 11:46:19
Print Post

I really want to cancel our license though some family members still seem to resort to watching traditional television for some reason. For me, all the content is online now - so much flexibility, HD, premium programs made by the community (check out vodo and some of the YouTube channels). I honestly don't see the need in having a TV setup any longer.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Sun 12-Feb-12 12:08:41
Print Post

I don't think the licence is expensive and read it has been price fixed for a bit ( sure I read this but not 100%). ok, licence pays for bbc but if you have a device that can recieve the tv signal then is needed, like you say pay for the online services and no telly (and tv card or dongle I guess), then ok.

did so if the arguement was wrong by watching iplayer, still bbc and why should people get for nothing because doing on their internet connection and not at the time it was going out on air.

Looks like you can.

Would might be right for some people. I like the telly, internet services from a server and a wired, optic fibre network or sattalite links, if this 100% reliable.

I will keep the telly using the ariel or sattalite dish (posh Panasonic 3d Hd thing with both).

Nice thought and will go that way I bet but if it suddenly takes off in next 10 years say will the internet bits and pieces keep up. Guess it will kill the other peoples internet connections in the area if people are streaming stuff all the time.

Does this have its own bits out there where it starts from on servers and at the exchanges or share bandwith at the exchange with the people doing the odd download or browsing, slow that down.

I like my FTTC, not if gready peole take all my speed doing just the 7Gb a month tops, boring usual internet browsing, update and email.

Not moaning or getting arguments going, just a thought. Dont know much about it thats all, suzy Perry did the online move services like the love film and all that, not sure she was to impressed, kept stopping and quality. will keep my 2 blu rays and 3d ones if any goning from love film for the £5.

much nicer or just me.

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/playing_t...
Standard User Ianph
(committed) Sun 12-Feb-12 12:10:36
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

you still need a tv licence if you own a computer.

i was fined and didnt even have a normal tv just pc monitor!
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Sun 12-Feb-12 12:59:15
Print Post

[re: Ianph] [link to this post]

If it has a way of recieving tv off air so a PCI card or the usb dongle I guess.

Can do iplayer without. Not sure about the other channels.

On that theory every one who chooses not to watch telly and not have one as strange I think but not a requirement to have but has a computer then has too have a tv licence.

computer and internet connection, ok surely if not using computer as a telly.

Me have the thing on and cinema £8 now or just under, tv licence, years worth of stuff for £145, and still people moan it is dear!.

Students moving away from home have to if in a property, parents one does not do.
Fair enough if somewhere and want the telly, even a computer watching live stuff that way.

Me, got no problem with it.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/f...
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Feb-12 13:14:01
Print Post

[re: Ianph] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ianph:
you still need a tv licence if you own a computer.

i was fined and didnt even have a normal tv just pc monitor!

No you don't, only if you got a T.V card in it that can receive over the air will you need a T.V licence. If you can prove that you don't watch T.V as it is being shown then you don't need a T.v licence. that don't mean you can record eveything via a PVR and watch it later.

But it does mean you can watch catch up t.v services and any other service that streams video like Netflix.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Feb-12 13:15:31
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mixt:
Normal TV will be around for a while yet. If it disappears, what will the BBC do? No more TV license! wink

I don't think it would vanish, I bet there would be a computer or internet tax to make up for it. that came up in parliament a couple of years back, but it came to nothing.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Feb-12 13:32:18
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Daniel_g:
I don't think the licence is expensive and read it has been price fixed for a bit ( sure I read this but not 100%). ok, licence pays for bbc but if you have a device that can recieve the tv signal then is needed, like you say pay for the online services and no telly (and tv card or dongle I guess), then ok.

I class it as a tax, not a licence, and yes you are right the BBC is keeping it at the same price for 5 years, so I think it have another 3 years before they put it up and they will put it up no doubt add another £20 on it or something like that.

What annoyed me with the BBc is that they sold out F1 to Sky and also they are spending millions on the Olympics, something I have no interest in and fail to see what I have to pay for them. Ok so people will say they had no interest in F1 and the same goes for them.

The other thing the BEEB will spend millions on this year is some queen person, no doubt there will be a day of rubbish to celebrate her doing what ever she does.

I find the £125 a year for the licence fee expensive for what I get out of it. now i can find better ways to spend that money and get better choice.

did so if the arguement was wrong by watching iplayer, still bbc and why should people get for nothing because doing on their internet connection and not at the time it was going out on air.

Looks like you can.

Yep, you can and I annoyed a lot of people a few years back when I cancelled my t.v licence and was still able to watch BBc stuff using Iplayer.
i don't make the rules, if they want to stop people watching I player then they will have to come up with a system like getting people to log in with a T.V licence number.

Would might be right for some people. I like the telly, internet services from a server and a wired, optic fibre network or sattalite links, if this 100% reliable.

Nothing is 100% reliable, but I been watching a lot from Netflix over the last 5 weeks and only once I had a problem and that was my router. The main problem i have is that I only got around 4 megabits, so Hd is out, but even Sd is far better than Sd on T.V. Saying that I had Medium HD yesterday and the quality was pretty good.

With fibre now spreading across the country, more and more people will get faster connections.

I will keep the telly using the ariel or sattalite dish (posh Panasonic 3d Hd thing with both).

I only been using Freeview for a while, gave up on Dsat due to rain knocking picture off and 3D just don't interest me what so ever.

Nice thought and will go that way I bet but if it suddenly takes off in next 10 years say will the internet bits and pieces keep up. Guess it will kill the other peoples internet connections in the area if people are streaming stuff all the time.

Does this have its own bits out there where it starts from on servers and at the exchanges or share bandwith at the exchange with the people doing the odd download or browsing, slow that down.

I like my FTTC, not if gready peole take all my speed doing just the 7Gb a month tops, boring usual internet browsing, update and email.

That is the only problem, but then they said that about the BBc Iplayer and it never happened.

the main problem is for people with restrictions, I am ok i got unlimited connection, but a lot of people don't and also some people got alful speed.

Not moaning or getting arguments going, just a thought. Dont know much about it thats all, suzy Perry did the online move services like the love film and all that, not sure she was to impressed, kept stopping and quality. will keep my 2 blu rays and 3d ones if any goning from love film for the £5.

much nicer or just me.

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/playing_t...

i saw that report with Suzy Perry, i have tried Lovefilm streaming once and i had no problem with it and my internet connection is not great, quality is not as it should be mind you. Netflix is different, it will adjust to the speed of your network.

Adrian

Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Sun 12-Feb-12 13:47:38
Print Post

3d on telly, just the tennis final and final of strickly come dancing, nothing much yet. Got it for the 3d disks that love film for my £5 have some and ordered a few, get through the door when out I guess.

Good points, other ways of doing the telly thing but what if you like other channels, then the tely with a tuner needs one even if not on bbc channels. lots of stuff out there, maybe suzy had a bad day. Does work then.

Guessing internet will have better equipmet to do this, like we all thought, telly programs again, and they all do. I can do iplayer on the telly as it is plugged into the router.
shame the others are not there like itv, 4 and 5, one day maybe or a telly change in years to come and will have.

looks like you have thought it out and what is good for you, not bad.

shame there is not a box you can plug into a computer monitor that gives you the channels agread like 4 and 5 and the ones that go with that like fiver, more 4 and then no BBc, no telly tuner in the house and job done. no licence needed.

telly, bbc watched or not needs one surley.

have a nice day.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to