Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Mar-12 13:19:31
Print Post

Rasberry Pi

[link to this post]

Anyone have a Rasberry Pi unit yet?

I've put in for one, and when it's delivered I'm aiming to set it up as a network streamer/web player/iPlayer device powered by the USB port on my TV.
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Mon 26-Mar-12 13:29:37
Print Post

Re: Rasberry Pi

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spasch:

I've put in for one, and when it's delivered I'm aiming to set it up as a network streamer/web player/iPlayer device powered by the USB port on my TV.

Not a Rasberry Pi, but I have Globalscale Sheevaplug set up as a Squeezebox server, and very good it is too,
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 27-Mar-12 19:55:03
Print Post

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

Neat. I discovered last night that there is a project to port XBMC to the Raspberry Pi called Raspbmc. Coupled with one of the iPad/iPhone apps to control it, it's going to be a winner for me smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 29-Mar-12 21:22:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by Spasch:

Not good news:
The first shipment of 2,000 Raspberry Pi boards has arrived in the UK - but the company's distributors are refusing to send them to customers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 29-Mar-12 21:47:04
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

RS and CPC want to put the CE mark on them. Raspberry reckon it's not required but will have to wait for RS and CPC to get the units certified.
Standard User Adamant
(legend) Sat 31-Mar-12 21:14:24
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

I think RS and CPC are right with this - a lot of these will be used as "finished products" and in long-term use so any unwanted interference could cause problems.

It's not like a true "development board" where it's just on for a few minutes here and there.

In reply to a post by john2007:
RS and CPC want to put the CE mark on them. Raspberry reckon it's not required but will have to wait for RS and CPC to get the units certified.

Adam
Sky Max LLU
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sat 31-Mar-12 22:37:44
Print Post

[re: Adamant] [link to this post]

I agree.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-Mar-12 22:47:31
Print Post

I would have though they would need to put it in a box to get a CE mark...

This delay is going to bump the price up again.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 31-Mar-12 22:49:58
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

I'm also a little sceptical of peoples ambitions in terms of CPU power they are demanding.
Embedded type small form boards have been around for years.

As a poster child to get comp sci rather than IT back into the education system it has a lot of potential.

BBC Micro was the one that took off, but the Atom and stuff like Nascom II set a lot of the ground work. If in 1981 or was it 80 for the Atom in kit form that 3rd year seniors could build them from kits, why not current generation.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sat 31-Mar-12 22:57:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Times have changed. Back in the day you could buy the kit pieces or for a massive premium a made up kit. Now it would cost more to buy the separate pieces!
  Print Thread

Jump to