Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Tue 07-Aug-12 23:09:16
Print Post

TV Licence question

[link to this post]

Thinking of removing my TV aerial and satellite dish and hence no connection to live TV broadcasting - but what's the score with broadband if I don't want a TV licence?

Currently the licence is too expensive for the amount of live TV that I watch and it’s apparently possible to claim that a licence is not required http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/t...

However, for example, live BBC News is available from the BBC web site and it can easily be accessed - although it does carry a warning than a licence is needed to view it. Would the mere fact that live News is streamed from the BBC over broadband mean that a licence is needed?

Wouldn't want to be fined for not having a licence because live UK programmes are streamed over the internet - rather confused by this, has anybody had clarification about the live TV/broadband/licence situation?
Standard User Zoopy
(learned) Tue 07-Aug-12 23:30:03
Print Post

Re: TV Licence question

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

if you goto http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/ it states on the right hand side "Watching TV on the internet
You need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands."
So to my understanding if its not "live" then you should be fine.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 07-Aug-12 23:30:39
Print Post

No. Like it says "The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV."

If you don't watch or record a TV programme at the same time that it is being shown on TV then you don't need a licence.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Aug-12 23:39:50
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Time to get rid of the of the aerial and just use catch up TV.

What about non-BBC channels, you don't need a license for them. Is there any way to block BBC channels so that you can't be fined but allows you to watch other channels?

What about BBC radio stations?

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 07-Aug-12 23:49:12
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

"If you are watching programmes as they are being shown on TV, for example watching Channel 4 or ITV online, then you will need to be covered by a valid TV Licence."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Aug-12 23:58:20
Print Post

Link to that quote please.

[censored] it

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ104/

SO they will TAX us what ever.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2

Edited by 5km (Wed 08-Aug-12 00:00:04)

Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Wed 08-Aug-12 00:19:12
Print Post

What I'm basically asking is: if one has a device that is "capable" of receiving a live stream over the internet then is a licence required?

If a licence is not required for a device that is "capable" of receiving a live stream over the internet then it must just be a matter of trust when one declares that it's not going to be used for receiving live UK streams - unless one is caught watching a live stream by the "licensing police" in the privacy of one's home confused
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Wed 08-Aug-12 00:30:43
Print Post

[re: Zoopy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zoopy:
if you goto http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/ it states on the right hand side "Watching TV on the internet
You need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands."
So to my understanding if its not "live" then you should be fine.

But I can watch, for example, the BBC News live stream on the internet simultaneously with it being broadcast on conventional TV - is it simply a matter of trust when I declare that I wont and hence a licence will not be needed?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Aug-12 01:44:03
Print Post

A convoluted argument!
In reply to a post by 4M2:
But I can watch, for example, the BBC News live stream on the Internet simultaneously with it being broadcast on conventional TV
No! "The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV."
In reply to a post by 4M2:
is it simply a matter of trust when I declare that I wont and hence a licence will not be needed?
No, it's a matter of law! Put simply, if you declare you don't watch while it is being broadcast, but you do watch on any device whilst it is being broadcast on TV, you are breaking the law and you take your chance whether you get caught.

On your previous post, if you have a device that is capable of showing TV progs as they are broadcast but you never use it for such, then you don't need a licence. E.G. I can buy a ordinary TV and use it solely as a PC's monitor or with a game console. then I don't need to buy a licence (if I have no other TV device).

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Wed 08-Aug-12 01:46:06
Print Post

'Meaning of “television receiver”
9.—(1) In Part 4 of the Act (licensing of TV reception), “television receiver” means any apparatus installed or used for the purpose of receiving (whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise) any television programme service, whether or not it is installed or used for any other purpose.

(2) In this regulation, any reference to receiving a television programme service includes a reference to receiving by any means any programme included in that service, where that programme is received at the same time (or virtually the same time) as it is received by members of the public by virtue of its being broadcast or distributed as part of that service.'
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2004/692/regulati...

Reckon a licence is necessary if a computer is capable of receiving live UK TV streams from the net - thought perhaps I could avoid paying out £145 frown
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to