Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Aug-12 01:53:47
Print Post

Re: TV Licence question

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 5km:
What about non-BBC channels, you don't need a license for them.
Yes, you do! The licence fee might go to BBC, but licence is needed to watch any UK TV whilst being broadcast (not sure about international).

Don't be silly! Of course licence does not apply for radio stations; they are not being shown on TV and of course you can hear them on a DAB radio unlicensed.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Aug-12 02:09:14
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Those sections are merely definitions. They don't say whether or when a licence is required for any “television receiver”; you need to delve deeper into the Act to find that.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Wed 08-Aug-12 02:11:49
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Sorry perhaps "trust" was the wrong term - as you say I would have declared that I would not watch live TV and if did then I would be breaking the law.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Wed 08-Aug-12 02:23:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Those sections are merely definitions. They don't say whether or when a licence is required for any “television receiver”; you need to delve deeper into the Act to find that.

Well I could, but since I have a pc that is capable of receiving Live UK TV streams, via the net, I would like a definitive statement that a licence is not necessary even if I had declared that I would not view live streams...
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Wed 08-Aug-12 02:51:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
On your previous post, if you have a device that is capable of showing TV progs as they are broadcast but you never use it for such, then you don't need a licence. E.G. I can buy a ordinary TV and use it solely as a PC's monitor or with a game console. then I don't need to buy a licence (if I have no other TV device).

Actually a few years ago, in the good old days of analogue TV, a friend of mine got done for not having a TV licence. He had an analogue TV connected only to a VCR and not to an external aerial (nor to an internal aerial) but since both devices were considered to be capable of receiving live broadcasts his defence that he only watched rented videos was not accepted.
Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Aug-12 07:20:13
Print Post

If he fought it he would have won, another guy took it beyond the local magistrates and since he only watched videos and didn't have it plugged into an Ariel it was not capable of receiving broadcasts.

TV licencing is the biggest load of BS. The licencing inspectors have no legal power to enter your property, you are not obliged to either identify yourself/confirm your ID or answer any of their questions. They are there to try and gather evidence unless they see you watching live TV in your front room then they will not be able to get a court order/search warrant to return with Police

Over the years the interpretation that TV licencing have used with that specific Act of Parliament (AoP's are not law but do have the force of law) has been ropey at best, wouldn't surprise me if Internet data could even be considered a broadcast. Then there's the issue of the BBC not providing any kind of warning or checks when allowing you to watch live streams.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User eckiedoo
(learned) Wed 08-Aug-12 08:09:40
Print Post

[re: FRS_Plunderer] [link to this post]

I would recommend you read the first paragraph on this site-

http://www.parliament.uk/about/how/laws/acts/
"
An Act of Parliament creates a new law or changes an existing law. An Act is a Bill approved by both the House of Commons and the House of Lords and formally agreed to by the reigning monarch (known as Royal Assent). Once implemented, an Act is law and applies to the UK as a whole or to specific areas of the country.
"

Regarding Licensing, my understanding over many years was that any DEVICE used to receive TV broadcasts in the UK, from ANY COUNTRY, required a TV Licence.

That is, the TV Licence is for the USE of the DEVICE as others have indicated, not for watching any specific Channel or Programme.

As an extreme example, in the days of Analogue-only TV, occasionally it was possible to receive AUSTRALIAN TV Transmissions in the UK. Even if one only watched that source, no other sources, one still needed within the UK, a UK TV Licence to do so legally.

This activity was informally known as TV-DXing.

The situation was similar for Radio Reception, one may listen only to, say, the Boston Symphony Orchestra playing its Pop Concert series in Boston USA; but still required a WIRELESS Licence to operate a Radio Receiver in the UK, if the receiving/listening was being done in the UK.

Obviously, the situation has changed in recent years as PCs have gained the Internet source for TV; and as TV sets have moved beyond being "simple" TV sets, hence the simplified definition of the DEVICE being used to watch the TV Transmission simultaneously or virtually simultaneously.
Standard User Northwind
(learned) Wed 08-Aug-12 08:25:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by 4M2:
I would like a definitive statement that a licence is not necessary even if I had declared that I would not view live streams...

You DO NOT NEED a license if you merely own a receiving device.

I know this because I fought TVL on the issue and won. I even told them to obtain a warrant if they wanted to search my house ( they declined ).

1. We have antennae on the chimney from a previous owner.
2. We do not have a TV.
3. Mrs Northwind watches catch-up TV on the Internet, but ( critically ) NEVER simultaneously with a broadcast. No, not even for the news or the Olympics.

TVL said:

"Thank you for letting us know you do not need a TV Licence. "

--
Goscomb ( BE Wholesale ), Exchange NINTS
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Wed 08-Aug-12 11:06:18
Print Post

[re: Northwind] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Northwind:
You DO NOT NEED a license if you merely own a receiving device.

I know this because I fought TVL on the issue and won. I even told them to obtain a warrant if they wanted to search my house ( they declined ).

But it's this paragraph from http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/t... that concerns me:

"In all cases, we may need a couple of minutes of your time
As it is our duty to ensure that everyone in the UK who needs a licence has one, we may visit your address to check that no licence is required. It's unfortunately necessary to do this, as when we make contact on these visits, almost one in five people are found to need a TV Licence. Please be assured that this is a routine visit, and will take no more than a few minutes. If we find during the visit that you do in fact need a licence, you'll need to pay the full licence fee, and you could risk prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000."

I do have analogue TV's in the house but now that only digital freeview is available they obviously wont pick up a live broadcast without a freeview or sky box. Yet I can, for example, view the BBC News live stream from my pc. I might declare that I never view live streams on the pc but I wonder if that is acceptable to the "licensing police" since live streams are so easily accessed on the internet these days?
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Wed 08-Aug-12 11:19:14
Print Post

[re: FRS_Plunderer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by FRS_Plunderer:
Then there's the issue of the BBC not providing any kind of warning or checks when allowing you to watch live streams.

There is a warning on the BBC site about watching the live news stream:

"The BBC News Channel is available in the UK only. Don't forget, to watch TV online as it's being broadcast, you still need a TV licence."

But this is the only up to date BBC video news that I can get these days since the BBC news multi-screen has been withdrawn from freeview and satellite, as has also the rolling video news headlines on the BBC web site.

Seems like if I want to watch recently updated BBC video news then my only choice is the live stream for which i need a TV licence frown

Edited by 4M2 (Wed 08-Aug-12 11:28:27)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to