Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Wed 08-Aug-12 15:01:57
Print Post

Re: TV Licence question

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Why bother deciphering the Act? Don't you believe this statement on their official site:
If you donít watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV, on any device, you donít need a TV Licence.
It's quite clear! It's not about owning capable devices, but about the act of watching whilst being broadcast. Isn't that definitive enough for you?

The onus is upon them to prove that you do so watch, which they can't do unless you were caught in the act.

Fair enough smile

BTW. I submitted an online request stating that I didn't want to renew my TV licence (which expires at the end of Oct. '12) a few hours ago, but they haven't e-mailed a reply yet...

Edit: just got a reply from TV Licensing saying that that they would respond to my email within 3 business days - guess they mean the specific issue that I raised in my online request when I used their "contact us" form.

Edit 2: a 2nd email reply from TV licensing (well within 3 business days):

TV LICENSING BRISTOL

Dear Mr xxxxx,

Thank you for telling us you don't need a TV Licence. I have now cancelled the TV Licence from our records as requested. We've recorded this on our system and within the next few weeks you'll receive a letter confirming this and explaining what happens next. Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Yours sincerely,

Edited by 4M2 (Wed 08-Aug-12 16:31:09)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Aug-12 15:50:12
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

They will send you the monthly threat-o-gram at first this maybe addressed to you, but if ignored after a few months it with revert to" T legal occupier " they will make the threat of visiting you, ooh whoopee do,do that makes me quake in my boots , not!!
Ignore their demands don't answer the door to them, you can even get an injunction to stop crapita trespassing on you property without a warrant, oh and their powers of search are completely different to those of the police, they may have a police officer with them, but that is only to prevent a breech of the peace, ie you smacking them ,lol

Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Wed 08-Aug-12 16:04:58
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
They will send you the monthly threat-o-gram at first this maybe addressed to you, but if ignored after a few months it with revert to" T legal occupier " they will make the threat of visiting you, ooh whoopee do,do that makes me quake in my boots , not!!
Ignore their demands don't answer the door to them, you can even get an injunction to stop crapita trespassing on you property without a warrant, oh and their powers of search are completely different to those of the police, they may have a police officer with them, but that is only to prevent a breech of the peace, ie you smacking them ,lol

Phew! I wouldn't want that kind of hassle - no way!

I was just hoping that no external aerials and satellite dishes would be sufficient to satisfy their inspection should they decide to visit the property.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mixt
(experienced) Wed 08-Aug-12 16:27:52
Print Post

And this is exactly how they intimidate people into contracting with them. wink

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN+IPv6)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Wed 08-Aug-12 16:47:34
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mixt:

And this is exactly how they intimidate people into contracting with them. wink

I would be quite happy to pay for a TV licence if I watched live broadcasting or streaming, but at the moment I very rarely watch live TV and it would be no problem to cease viewing completely, especially since the things I used to watch on the BBC, e.g. News multi-screen, are no longer available.

Now I've started using the Sky online "3 minute catch up" rolling video news service, but that is preceded by an advertisement frown
Standard User Northwind
(learned) Wed 08-Aug-12 17:53:20
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by greenglide:
I wouldnt believe anyone who claims "I watch streaming TV but never live TV" - this sounds like a way of getting round the payment of the licencing fee

Why wouldn't you believe them? It's not a hard rule to follow.

For example Mrs Northwind was interested in subscribing to Eurosport but canned the idea when she realised it would violate the "simultaneous broadcast rule".

£145 is a lot of money, and it doesn't take much self-discipline to adhere to the trivial legal requirements in order to save that amount of cash each and every year. We're well over £500 better-off already!

--
Goscomb ( BE Wholesale ), Exchange NINTS
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Thu 09-Aug-12 13:30:04
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

These people prey on the elderly,and others that are vulnerable (that do know their rights ...

Legal Maxim:
He who fails to assert his rights has none.

smile

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN+IPv6)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Standard User professor973
(member) Thu 09-Aug-12 16:29:33
Print Post

I would not worry about it, because as soon as enough view via the web the law will be adjusted to rake in the license fee, be it live or listen again.
We had exactly the same situation when satellite TV first become popular. A TV license was not needed to watch it. A situation any government of this tax obsessed state would not tolerate.
You could always poke your eyes out as there is a 50% license discount for the blind.

Edited by professor973 (Thu 09-Aug-12 16:31:43)

Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Thu 09-Aug-12 18:45:36
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
You could always poke your eyes out as there is a 50% license discount for the blind.

Well I did consider claiming that a 75 year old tortoise by the name of Fred is a live TV viewing resident here LOL!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Aug-12 18:44:38
Print Post

Actually the parental controls system that is being pushed would tie nicely into an internet viewing licence and with BBC contributing to broadband rollouts the links are being made.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to