Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-Aug-12 00:35:05
Print Post

Re: TV Licence question

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Aerial is still there, cable still comes down, but is rolled up on my windows sill.

I'm going to take the wideband aerial down and the satellite dish since there's no way that I can receive digital TV without external kit in this location, also my TV's are all analogue and there is no analogue TV broadcasting here any more so it's virtually impossible to view anything with an internal aerial.

Removing the aerial and the dish may not be necessary but I would possibly feel more comfortable without them if I didn't have a licence - perhaps these concerns are completely unfounded?

Don't fall off the roof.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Mon 13-Aug-12 01:04:05
Print Post

[re: FRS_Plunderer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by FRS_Plunderer:
Don't fall off the roof.

Falling off the roof certainly would be uncomfortable, however it's a flat roof and removing the kit would be easy because I put it up there smile
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Aug-12 12:35:40
Print Post

I'm going to take the wideband aerial down and the satellite dish since there's no way that I can receive digital TV without external kit in this location, also my TV's are all analogue and there is no analogue TV broadcasting here any more so it's virtually impossible to view anything with an internal aerial.

Removing the aerial and the dish may not be necessary but I would possibly feel more comfortable without them if I didn't have a licence - perhaps these concerns are completely unfounded?

I am not going that far, for a start I would have to pay someone to take the aerial down. I may use it again at some point. the dish i will get rid of at some stage when I can be bothered, but there is not cable going to the LNB, so it is not a problem.

If I get a visit, they will just have to believe me.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Aug-12 12:38:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by FRS_Plunderer:
Don't fall off the roof.

Falling off the roof certainly would be uncomfortable, however it's a flat roof and removing the kit would be easy because I put it up there smile

Ah okay...

...don't fall through the roof!

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Fri 17-Aug-12 15:13:35
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Got a letter from TV Licensing this morning confirming that I would not be asked to renew my licence, it also essentially gave the same info as their web site (in very abridged form) and concluded, with the obvious statement, that if I wished to watch live TV in the future I would need a licence.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Sep-12 18:26:13
Print Post

Do I need a TV licence for the new BBC iPlayer "live restart" feature? If no how much time should be allowed to lapse before viewing - any opinions on this one? smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Sep-12 22:18:27
Print Post

I would suggest yes, as the program is still being broadcast, as opposed to starting to watch after the show had finished.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 27-Sep-12 02:00:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
I would suggest yes, as the program is still being broadcast, as opposed to starting to watch after the show had finished.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/terms/personal.shtml - Terms of Use:

3.2.2 If you do not have a valid television licence

You may not watch television programmes using BBC Online Services on any device (including mobile phones, "smart" phones or devices, laptops, tablets and personal computers) at the same time (or virtually the same time) as the programmes are being broadcast, simulcast or otherwise made available by the BBC on television, unless you have a valid television licence.

That seems to support your view that during the period of the broadcast the programe must not be viewed without a licence but -

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/resources/library/BBC/p... - No licence needed policy

1.3 Note also that “received” means receiving a TV programme as it is being
broadcast on TV. It does not include receiving programmes by means of a
DVD or the on-demand elements of services such as i-Player.

Maybe "on-demand elements of services such as i-Player" don't include the new restart feature? However such restarted programmes would not actually be "live" which is implied by "at the same time (or virtually the same time) as the programmes are being broadcast" quoted in the Terms of Use above.
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Thu 27-Sep-12 06:59:32
Print Post

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/resources/library/BBC/p... - No licence needed policy

1.3 Note also that “received” means receiving a TV programme as it is being
broadcast on TV. It does not include receiving programmes by means of a
DVD or the on-demand elements of services such as i-Player.

Maybe "on-demand elements of services such as i-Player" don't include the new restart feature? However such restarted programmes would not actually be "live" which is implied by "at the same time (or virtually the same time) as the programmes are being broadcast" quoted in the Terms of Use above.

I would suggest you probably don't want to be the first to have that nuance clarified by a court. As time is essentially infinite "virtually the same time" is an utterly meaningless clarification. The same century could be argued to be "virtually the same time" depending on perspective - however a court should throw that particular argument out on its ear. But for starting watching a programme as it is still being aired albeit with a delayed start - I wouldn't be so sure on a rational decision from the court.

My advice would be stick to pure catch-up after the programme has finished airing as that is clearly and unambiguously outwith license requirements.
Standard User Bob_s2
(member) Thu 27-Sep-12 08:49:08
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

I would suggest that the legalinterpretation would probably be that youneed a TV licence if you watch a TV programe whilst any part of it is still being broadcast ie you can only watch it without needing a licence once the programe has finished

This is probably untetsted in law at present so untill it goes to court it is a grey area
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to