Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Jul-14 22:21:16
Print Post

Re: TV Licence question

[re: Wiggle67] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Wiggle67:
My question is not if you need a license to stream live tv online but are you likely to get caught? I watch Wimbledon live and the odd prom on my laptop. They won't let me pay the license per month so if I watch them (and remove my useless digital aerial), how likely are they to prove I have been watching live streams - in a rural area? I do have a digital TV connected to the net if that's relevant

Many thanks

Wig

Well I made an online repeat declaration that I was not watching nor recording programmes as they were being broadcast and I think they will probably leave me alone for another couple of years. If I make such as promise then I will abide by it although it is sometimes difficult to avoid watching live streams on iPlayer when the programme is not clearly marked as "live".

I still have a satellite dish and a terrestrial wide band aerial on the roof but they are not connected to any equipment.

Edited by 4M2 (Sat 05-Jul-14 22:26:36)

Standard User Going_Digital
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Jul-14 00:58:30
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

There is a lot of misinformation about the TV licence but as it stands these are the true facts.

1. A TV Licence is required in the UK to watch or record real-time or near real-time programmes as they are broadcast. This means that it doesn't matter if you watch via a Terrestrial Broadcast, Satellite or streamed on the internet, if it is a programme being watched as it is broadcast a licence is required. To watch on-demand catch-up services like netflix, iPlayer etc does not require a licence, providing you do not watch the live streams on the iPlayer only the catch-up. The iPlayer web site does give this warning if you click on a real-time stream telling you you need a licence to watch.

2. The TV licence is required to watch or record TV not own equipment capable of receiving or recording TV. So you can legitimately own as many TVs, Video Recorders and DVRs as you like and as long as you are not watching or recording broadcast material on them you are not required to have a licence. Having an Aerial or Satellite dish attached to your house also does not require a licence. It is quite legitimate for you to have a dish that you may wish to use at a future date where upon you would obtain a licence. It is important to note that the law includes recording, so using a DVR to record a programme and then watch it later does require a licence, it is not the same as watching using a catch-up service.

3. Enforcement of the TV Licence is carried out by a private contractor 'Capita' who are the ones that will send out letters and who's 'enforcement officers' will call at your house to try and catch you out. Should they visit you they have no right to enter your home or business premises as they are ordinary employees of a company and therefore must be invited in by you. They do not have any powers given to them like the police or HMRC would have so do not be intimidated by them just inform them that you have no requirement for a TV licence and ask them to leave. You do not have to prove to them that you do not need a licence the burden of proof is on them to prove that you do need one.

It is increasingly common for people to drop paying for a TV licence as fewer people bother to watch programmes as they are broadcast instead preferring to watch what they want at a time that suits them. There are plenty of horror stories of TV licence people persuading people to sign an agreement that admits to evading the licence fee so be sure that everybody in your household knows that they should not watch any live streaming and tell any TV licensing person to leave.

Clearly there is a problem here in that the BBC is funded by the licence fee and the more people who choose to stop paying the licence and use catch-up services instead are not contributing to the costs of running the BBC so are effectively being subsidised by those that are paying the fee. There is much discussion going on about how this can be addressed and there may be a change in the law in the future that will require a licence to watch all programmes that were originally broadcast even for catch-up but that is not the case at the moment.

adslnation - A Tandy Brand.
http://www.adslnation.com
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Jul-14 01:40:43
Print Post

[re: Going_Digital] [link to this post]

An excellent summary - thanks smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Jul-14 12:23:17
Print Post

what he failed to say is that these people employed by this private company reffered to by many as crapita , are really no more than salesmen who's mission in life is to sell you a TV licence, they do not have TV detection equipment , they never have had , it was all a myth, and several FOI requests plus the lack of any evidence obtained from such equipment has never been submitted into a court

Some of their staff have assualted householders when challenged (on camera youtube)

The apparently best way of dealing with them, is to have no contact, yes you will get the almost monthly letter that tries to scare you into paying, (threat-o-gram) and the occasional visit by one of their sales men (with job title of enforcement officer ) just to sound more intimidating IMO

If you do decide to engage with one of their sales reps, then record the whole conversation on camera, so you have proof of what was said ect, as they are alleged by some to also blatenly tell lies also
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Jul-14 13:24:15
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

I quit paying for a licence nearly two years ago stating that I don't watch or record programmes as they are being broadcast and I have just reaffirmed that that is still the case. If somebody comes knocking at the door I'll just politely tell them the same thing - if they don't believe me and report that I have not kept my word then I would probably take legal advice smile
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Jul-14 10:05:22
Print Post

Over two years now, I had a letter a couple of weeks back from TVL saying i should let them know if I still don't need a Tv licence, i don't why I should, but I did anyway, less hassle.

Still happy with Netflix, i now got myself a Now Tv box, but I don't watch the live part., just catch up.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Mar-15 00:36:33
Print Post

[re: DrBC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrBC:
I find TVL's nastygrams to be strangely hilarious in their obvious futility. They send me one each month, regular as clockwork, half sternly warning that they have 'opened an investigation' and the other half offering dark threats about taking 'The Legal Occupier' to court.
I really look forward to receiving my monthly nastygram because it shows someone cares about me wink

They go in cycles;
  • Official warning: we have opened an investigation
  • Your address has been scheduled for a visit by an Enforcement Officer
  • What you need to know about the enforcement process
  • What to expect in court

I'm currently at "What to expect in court" for the nth time.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Mar-15 00:40:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by 4M2:
Just noticed that the online BBC News channel is auto play so if one clicks the link to it then it streams without having to select the play button - yet it still has a warning beneath the video screen that it can not be legally viewed without a licence...
Flashblock browser addon is your friend if you have Firefox or Chrome. It stops autoplay.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Mar-15 02:09:36
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
In reply to a post by 4M2:
Just noticed that the online BBC News channel is auto play so if one clicks the link to it then it streams without having to select the play button - yet it still has a warning beneath the video screen that it can not be legally viewed without a licence...
Flashblock browser addon is your friend if you have Firefox or Chrome. It stops autoplay.

Seems to be a growing lack of impartiality and accurate reporting with the BBC news coverage these days so I don't watch it on iPlayer catch-up...

Will try Flashblock with YouTube though because I hate autoplay - cheers.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Mar-15 03:13:54
Print Post

A Computer if it does not have a TV tuner card installed then by itself it isnt capable of receiving live tv, therefore isn't a tv receiver, You don't actually need a TV licence for a TV as you could use it for watching pre recorded DVD's or playing computer games on (use as monitor) and they have to prove that you are watching broadcast tv without a licence , The capita goons(tv licence salesmen/women) employed by the bbc rely on people making admissions of guilt to them they have played some underhanded tricks over the years youtube has plenty of recordings of them
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to