Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Dilbert
(member) Wed 24-Oct-12 21:45:39
Print Post

YouView Box from BT - Humax DTR T1000

[link to this post]

Got one of these from BT today, aside from the dumbass delivery company just leaving it on my doorstep I am quite impressed with it. Wasn't even in a cardboard box, was just wrapped in clear film so anyone who wanted to nick it could have seen what they were stealing.

I ditched sky years ago and since then haven't bothered to get another PVR box but BT offering this new one for £50 (+£4 per month vision subs that becomes £5 per month in Jan 2013) and so I thought it was worth a go as these sell for £250-£300 each if you buy them outright with no BT vision.

They also included £80 worth of homeplugs for free which is cool, I have some already but I am sure I can find a use for these extra ones or flog them on eBay.

Nice and easy to set the box up, runs very quietly and starts up nice and quick once you change the ECO settings.

The menus and navigation are very good, it comes with a decent remote control and the EPG is excellent. Having one menu to look at for current programmes and programmes in the future that you can record or set a reminder for was normal on Sky and other systems years ago but the integration of Scrollback (last 7 days of shows that can be watched via IPTV right from the EPG) is a new one on me and a really nice feature.

It also has the separate menus for iPlayer, ITV Player 4OD etc so you can access programs through the more traditional interface people will be familiar with from their PC and other devices.

Cant see any of the on demand paid features getting much use (unless BT's own premier league football offering next season is priced very nicely) but for the other functions I think its a really nice box and a steal at the price its currently available at from BT. I think Talk Talk are also doing a deal on it too from the adverts that have washed over me recently.

Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Nov-12 07:42:57
Print Post

Re: YouView Box from BT - Humax DTR T1000

[re: Dilbert] [link to this post]

this is an HD box, ie the freeview aspect is in HD? Just wondered as I was considering buying it as I manage to negotiate a discount on my Infinity.

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Fri 16-Nov-12 08:57:58
Print Post

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

The freeview is HD.

Do you have a freeview HD TV? To me this is the more important point.

The number of HD channels of freeview is not large frown

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Nov-12 09:21:04
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

I have an HD ready TV yes and I have a Humax PVR already, however was looking to buy another PVR and gathered with the fact that the kids and Mrs watch alot of iplayer etc seemed quite a good deal?

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User Dilbert
(member) Mon 19-Nov-12 16:46:30
Print Post

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

Its a very good box if you use iPlayer, ITV Player etc. because you can use them in the normal way with this box or very nicely via the EPG.

Had ours for nearly a month now and I am very pleased with it, done a lot of recording and playback on it and its great quality.

The TV we have it connected to is a HD panel (Samsung Series 7) but it was bought before the Freeview HD tuners were introduced so its nice to have easy access to the Freeview HD channels through the YouView box. Only 4 channels (BBC HD, BBC1 HD, ITV1HD and 4HD) but decent content without paying for Sky.

Standard User Garyilka
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Dec-12 11:52:26
Print Post

[re: Dilbert] [link to this post]

I have a Humax DTR FOX T2 which I have had for a while now and am delighted with it. It upscales non HD to as near HD as dammit (providing you have a suitable TV of course). Looking at the specs it seems the T1000 does the same and so the fact there aren't many programmes transmitted in HD is less of an issue.

I've stuck a wireless dongle in the rear USB so that I have the Humax Portal available (BBC iPlayer etc) and a portable hard drive connected to the front USB with (currently) around an additional 350 films available. No shortage of things to watch for me - and that's just with basic freeview ........

(Edit - checked T1000 specs and it does upscale)

Edited by Garyilka (Tue 11-Dec-12 12:06:47)

Standard User clemenzina
(learned) Wed 12-Dec-12 05:17:12
Print Post

[re: Garyilka] [link to this post]

Most modern TVs do a great job of upscaling, so it's one less thing to worry about when choosing a PVR.

Router = EchoLife HG532 (B/G/N)
  Print Thread

Jump to