Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dsch
(member) Sun 11-Nov-12 11:14:31
Print Post

Recommended Speed

[link to this post]

I'm looking at subscribing to either Netflix or Love Film and start using BBC iPlayer, etc. I am currently on an ADSL line getting speeds up to 4.8Mbps although a speed availability check reveals I can obtain between 6.5 - 8.5 Mbps. Should I be changing to ADSL2+ or bite the bullet and spend the extra on FTTC? Will the buffering be adequate should I obtain the speeds on an ADSL configuration? How bad will streaming be effected on an ADSL line if someone else in my home accesses the internet at the same time?

Apologies for the number of questions and thanks for the help.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Nov-12 12:16:47
Print Post

Re: Recommended Speed

[re: dsch] [link to this post]

The 4.8 Mbps is that from a speed test? Or the modem connection speed?

Which service are you on? ADSL2+ might add a bit more.

Netflix will run even on a lot slower connections but not such a nice picture, if you are speedtesting at 4.8Mbps, then netflix, lovefilm and BBC iplayer should all stream OK, assuming your provider is not too congested at peak times.

Simple web browsing should be OK if streaming on that link, but if both of you try to do HD streaming then it will be a battle.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Garyilka
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Nov-12 14:33:46
Print Post

Re: Recommended Speed

[re: dsch] [link to this post]

This may help give a clue? :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics#results

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to