Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Gudgee
(newbie) Sun 09-Dec-12 18:37:58
Print Post

Connecti Sony Bravia to Brightbox Via Ethernet and Homeplugs

[link to this post]

It had been on my mind for a while to connect my Sony Bravia to my broadband and with the arrival of a new EE (Orange) router, 7mb line speed and a deal in Lidl for 'homeplugs' I reckoned the time to hook up to Iplayer etc. via the telly was now.

Plugged in the homeplugs as directed in the manual and bingo, my laptop could access the router via an ethernet cable. Flushed with success, I then plugged the same ethernet cable into the Bravia, went to the appropriate Network menu and pressed the option to have the TV magically connect to the router. It came as no surprise to get a message on screen a few seconds later which meant the sum of sweet bog all to me but which probably suggested that the TV and the router had (a) not consumated the relationship and (b) were not likely to do so unless I fiddled about.

Anybody had the same problem (and fixed it)?

The on screen message from the TV is Bravia Error Message.

The status page of the router Router Status Screen.

(I have a nagging feeling that Sony would prefer that I purchased some special connectivity kit from them rather than plugging in ethernet cables and Lidl gizmos but if I can get this solution to work then I suspect that a fair few Bravia owning folk 'out there' will be heading for Lidl to get plumbed in to routers...)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 09-Dec-12 18:46:47
Print Post

Re: Connecti Sony Bravia to Brightbox Via Ethernet and Homep

[re: Gudgee] [link to this post]

Lots of others having same issue, but with other devices, so the lidl homeplugs are probably not the root cause.

I would suggest first rebooting everything including the TV and the homeplugs (i.e. switch off and pause and then on). If that does not help, usualy thing to do is try setting a manual IP address

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Gudgee
(newbie) Mon 10-Dec-12 18:11:29
Print Post

Re: Connect Sony Bravia to Brightbox Via Ethernet and Homepl

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you for the note - I have tried to do as you suggest but without success.

When I ask the TV to connect to the router it states that it cannot connect to the gateway. I am pretty sure that the connection from the homeplug to the router is OK and that the problem lies in the settings I have used on the TV.

I have setup the connection as best I can using the values from the router status screen. Can I ask you have a quick look - can you spot any obvious incorrect values?

The TV network settings are here.

The router status settings are here.

Hope you can spot something.

Edited by Gudgee (Mon 10-Dec-12 18:15:05)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 10-Dec-12 19:09:45
Print Post

Have you reserved 192.168.1.6 in the router's DHCP for the TV?

Otherwise I fear that the router will try to give out a diff 192.168.1.x to the TV and get confused.

IMHO your best bet is to put the TV on Auto rather than Manual and let the router's DHCP issue the TV with an IP.

To be on the safe side and take the homeplug out the equation, can you connect TV directly by Ethernet to router?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Dec-12 19:14:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by Gudgee:
Thank you for the note - I have tried to do as you suggest but without success.

When I ask the TV to connect to the router it states that it cannot connect to the gateway. I am pretty sure that the connection from the homeplug to the router is OK and that the problem lies in the settings I have used on the TV.

I have setup the connection as best I can using the values from the router status screen. Can I ask you have a quick look - can you spot any obvious incorrect values?

The TV network settings are here.

The router status settings are here.

Hope you can spot something.
Hi, I have a similar setup but without the home plugs. The problem you have the TV is configured with a fixed static IP address 192.168.1.6 and your router DHCP server will issue anything it likes so it wont connect unless it issues the correct IP address. frown

You need to configure the EE Bright Box wireless router with a DHCP server range, note your TV must not be within that range.

configure your Bright Box router DHCP server range

DHCP server Range Start 192.168.1.21
DHCP server Range End 192.168.1.250

This will give you from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.20 = 20 static IP addresses
And from 192.168.1.251 to 192.168.1.255 = 5 static IP addresses.

You can use any of the 25 static IP addresses for devices on your LAN (Local Area Network) and the addresses will not change. wink

http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

My Broadband Speed Test
EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Mon 10-Dec-12 19:30:56)

Standard User Gudgee
(newbie) Mon 10-Dec-12 20:06:24
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Gentlemen.. many thanks for the suggestions.

had a poke about with the router setup screens and found one which lets me fiddle with the DHCP settings. I think I have made the changes but still the two bits of kit refuse to consumate their union..

The latest settings on the router are here.

Any obvious mistakes?
Standard User Gudgee
(newbie) Mon 10-Dec-12 21:07:47
Print Post

Xrayspecs...

Cannot connect the TV directly and yes, will try the auto-cofig option once herself stops watching Homeland!!
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Dec-12 21:09:58
Print Post

Re: Connect Sony Bravia to Brightbox Via Ethernet "EDITED"

Delete the configured DHCP reserved IP address and make the Lease Time: Forever.

Save Settings.

http://www.points-north.net/dhcp%20settings.jpg

I just noticed you have the Primary DNS 100 it should be 101 wink

My 40" Samsung LCD TV is configured...

Internet Protocol Setup : Manual
IP Address : 192.168.1.6
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Gateway : 192.168.1.1

DNS : Manual
DNS Server : 193.36.79.101

My Broadband Speed Test
EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Mon 10-Dec-12 22:22:27)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 10-Dec-12 21:14:04
Print Post

You have mixed and matched our 2 disparate suggestions. Only do one but not the other.

A reserved IP needs to be within the DHCP range:
You can also reserve an IP address for a particular computer using the Add Reserved IP option. You can then add a currently connected device to the reservation list by clicking Add. You can also reserve an IP address for a computer that isn't currently connected by selecting Manually Reserve. You can reserve an IP address for up to 32 devices.
If you are following my suggestion put the DHCP Start IP back to what is was

Did you try the TV on Auto?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Daniel_g
(committed) Mon 10-Dec-12 21:18:23
Print Post

Hi

Try 192.168.1.1, same for primary DNS on the telly manual settings as the gateway.

the 193 36 79 100 is external address.

on my panasonic telly also plugged in using ethernet cable it has primary dns and gateway the same and is router address. no seconary dns.

is set to auto and just worked but agree with the router dhcp settings and now the static ip address for the telly, looks all good apart from that one bit on the telly settings.

Might be wrong, just going on what my telly does for its various numbers if not done auto but manual would go if I did the same as you and set router up that way.

change dns to gateway numbers.

Might work. maybe turn off telly then and back on to get new settings into the thing and regoing with the router.

If no good then me out of ideas.

Like already said if no joy then take telly to router and plug straight in and no homeplugs to see if they are the problem but said works with laptop so guess not.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to