Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rob54
(committed) Sat 15-Dec-12 23:37:35
Print Post

Can YouView be used on any BB connection

[link to this post]

I am wanting a PVR (or similar) and saw a YouView ad. Looking at their website, I'm not sure if I can use this with any fast enough BB ISP (I'm with o2). I see that BT and TalkTalk are onboard but maybe that only applied to sports, sky etc. But as far as I could tell, for simple catch-up TV on BBC, ITV and Channels 4 & 5, any suitable BB will do. Is that right?

I would be a bit worried as from time to time my phone line is noisy which affects speeds and reliability, whilst other times it's dead quiet and speeds will be a little better, nearly 1 Mbps so.

My Broadband Speed Test

--------------------------------------------------------------
o2 Broadband Standard, Wireless box 5, Avast Free AntiVirus 7.0, Outpost firewall 6.5
Website hosting & Domain name provider - Dream-Hosting
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sun 16-Dec-12 00:08:18
Print Post

Re: Can YouView be used on any BB connection

[re: rob54] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rob54:
I am wanting a PVR (or similar) and saw a YouView ad. Looking at their website, I'm not sure if I can use this with any fast enough BB ISP (I'm with o2). I see that BT and TalkTalk are onboard but maybe that only applied to sports, sky etc. But as far as I could tell, for simple catch-up TV on BBC, ITV and Channels 4 & 5, any suitable BB will do. Is that right?

I would be a bit worried as from time to time my phone line is noisy which affects speeds and reliability, whilst other times it's dead quiet and speeds will be a little better, nearly 1 Mbps so.

My Broadband Speed Test

It will work on any ISP its just BT/TT have extras if your with them for BB, the stuff you mention will work on any ISP, im not sure if there's a speed requirement but id take a guess if BBC iplayer works on your comp it should work on the YV box as with the other catch ups too,

Sorry not much info for ya there but id suggest getting it from a store with a good returns policy try it out for a few days and if you find its not working as planned take it back

Ash

Plus.net - Extra Fibre - IP Profile - 69.54 Mbps / 20Mbps - Speedtest
Standard User stuorguk
(member) Sun 16-Dec-12 00:12:01
Print Post

YouView is supposed to be rate adaptive like Netflix. So it will stream as fast as your line will support. I'm not a YouView user, so I dont know how well this works, but dont expect good quality HD pictures on your given line speed. Netflix gets up to 10Mbs,

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rob54
(committed) Sun 16-Dec-12 01:08:53
Print Post

[re: stuorguk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by stuorguk:
YouView is supposed to be rate adaptive like Netflix. So it will stream as fast as your line will support. I'm not a YouView user, so I dont know how well this works, but dont expect good quality HD pictures on your given line speed. Netflix gets up to 10Mbs,

Don't have an HD telly at present - in fact its an older CRT freeview set. At the time, these were still better picture quality than the then newish LCD sets which were a bit 'blobby'.

o2 Broadband Standard, Wireless box 5, Avast Free AntiVirus 7.0, Outpost firewall 6.5
Standard User rob54
(committed) Sun 16-Dec-12 01:14:14
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
It will work on any ISP its just BT/TT have extras if your with them for BB, the stuff you mention will work on any ISP, im not sure if there's a speed requirement but id take a guess if BBC iplayer works on your comp it should work on the YV box as with the other catch ups too,

Sorry not much info for ya there but id suggest getting it from a store with a good returns policy try it out for a few days and if you find its not working as planned take it back

Ash

OK that's good it will work on any BB. But just looking at prices the Humax (only one it seems) is a bit expensive really. Might forsake the catchup TV and go for a TVonics at half the price. Want something for Christmas.

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sun 16-Dec-12 01:18:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by rob54:
In reply to a post by acpsd775:

Ash

OK that's good it will work on any BB. But just looking at prices the Humax (only one it seems) is a bit expensive really. Might forsake the catchup TV and go for a TVonics at half the price. Want something for Christmas.

yea i noticed the prices area bit uff lol im not a fan of freeview TBH nothing on it for me and at the price of youview id much rather build a ITX pc for use with the online players and get netflix, love film etc included but thats just me and obviously with a CRT TV thats not really an option for you if the TVonics will be ok for what you want though then seams good deal at half the price

Ash

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 16-Dec-12 09:18:10
Print Post

BT were offering me a "free" YouView box, however it turns out it needs activating for £49.99 and then £5.99 per month which is hardly free. I called them up to complain and they offered it without the monthly payment, but I still had to pay the activation.

Apparently, the activation is to make BT Vision work - whatever that is - and they insist they will not do it without the activation.

So there you go, you can get one from BT for around £50. I think they recommend a minimum of 3Mbps down for YouView.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User Garyilka
(knowledge is power) Sun 16-Dec-12 09:25:08
Print Post

This gives you a clue as to whether your download speed is enough:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics#results
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sun 16-Dec-12 12:03:46
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
So there you go, you can get one from BT for around £50. I think they recommend a minimum of 3Mbps down for YouView.

You need to have BT broadband to get a box from BT though the OP is with o2 and TBH i would defo not leave o2 for BT ADSL lol FTTC possibly so that rules out him getting a box for £50

Apparently, the activation is to make BT Vision work - whatever that is - and they insist they will not do it without the activation.

BT vision is basically a load of on demand premium content from channels like discovery, cartoon network, Disney & loads of movies so on so on its BTs way of pay TV, They dumped the original Bt vision box in favor of you view because of its high customization , The thing is even if you have bought a YV box from a shop and you plug it into either talktalk or BT BB all of extras will be come available just like if you'd got it direct from BT or TT.

Ash

Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Dec-12 08:42:41
Print Post

Why don't you just buy a Raspberry Pi? £30 delivered, plus a small SD card (or a large one if you want to record TV). Then, download and install Raspbmc and off you go. The Raspberry Pi has a RCA style video out so it will work on older TVs. There are plugins available for iPlayer, 4OD, Demand5 & ITV.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to