Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lt567
(committed) Fri 04-Jan-13 18:10:00
Print Post

Composite to PC 2.1 speaker conversion

[link to this post]

Hi there,

Recently got a new TV today and just wondering what sort of converter I can get to make the audio go from the composite things on the TV to a 2.1 PC speaker system. Thanks a lot!
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Jan-13 20:40:18
Print Post

Re: Composite to PC 2.1 speaker conversion

[re: lt567] [link to this post]

You can get composite to 3.5mm audio cables. The question is more whether the TV supports out via the composite (it won't if the input is HDMI).
Standard User lt567
(committed) Fri 04-Jan-13 20:57:48
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

I just got a cable off ebay that you mentioned thanks. Yes there is a R and L audio in on the back, then the cable turns into a 3.5mm headphone type socket. I have the PS3 connected via HDMI so I can't get external audio because of that?

Thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Daniel_g
(committed) Fri 04-Jan-13 21:08:53
Print Post

is it an output, composite is video, is it the yellow, red and white phono sockets, these tend to be an input and so a AV input switched to using remote.

I send sound to a hifi phone red and white socket input on sister set up from headphone output on telly to the input on back of HIFI.

Depends is telly does what you want but stuff like this maybe, guessing you want just plain old line level analog sound, telly to feed amplified computer speakers.

What input does speakers have, mine with 2 desk speakers and sub woofer with the electronics (power amp) in use 3.5mm plug so then this maybe.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5m-3-5mm-Jack-to-2-x-RCA...

I made and adaptor that went from coaxal digital to a Toslink optic fibre lead to feed inout to minidisk (anyone remember them!) but not what you want and me might have what you asked completety wrong as dont really get the question but on my telly digital inputs dont come uot on analogue out as sort of said I think before me.

What is trying to be done. I do with all hdmi leads going into 5.1 amp and no yellow, red or white plugs and scart leads in sight.
Standard User Daniel_g
(committed) Fri 04-Jan-13 22:06:40
Print Post

Audio in is that, in not out.

Sure it is just a red and white audio out and not a yellow socket as well for an in connection.

Wrote privately as you did to me, not sure how quick that gets to you.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Jan-13 22:53:37
Print Post

You can't!
In reply to a post by lt567:
the audio go from the composite things on the TV
The composite (R, W, Y RCA jacks) are AV IN to the TV.

You need to find an AUDIO OUT (R & W RCA jacks) on the TV and connect that to whatever your PC speakers takes as AUDIO IN (e.g a mic, but I don't think that is stereo).

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Jan-13 22:58:21
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Daniel_g:
Wrote privately as you did to me
Why keep general useful advice secret? That is not the spirit of a Forum.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Jan-13 08:03:37
Print Post

Normally not. I believe this is because the signal is protected. Certainly, my Sony wont output sound via the 2nd scart (hearing loop) when using HDMI.
Standard User Daniel_g
(committed) Sat 05-Jan-13 09:24:42
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Hi

Now cutting and pasting what was said, I only replyed that way as thats how it came to me, Nothing funny or secret, so here it is. Any ideas, think the £12 gadget would work, I use headphone out on sisters telly to line in audio red and white sockets on back of her HIFI, might be an option here but guess that has been tried with no luck or no headphones. Panasonic ones seen to have separate level so not to usefull but then the £12 gadget will be a fixed output so going to the PC speakers to turn up or down, hard work, would ware my legs out!.

------------------------------
private messages.
----------------

Hi Daniel,

Thanks very much for the reply about my TV going to the PC speakers. I can see what you do I'm just unsure what is suitable on the one I have. I can see it has a digital audio socket for SPDIF receivers and a R and L slot so I grabbed one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251205222632

All I want to do is plug PC speakers in you see so I can get better audio without breaking the wallet for a surround sound system .

Hi

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Digital-Optical-Coax-Co...

item number 200664552264 ebay

This might do if the analogue sources into the telly like dvd on scart lead ( so into telly not on HDMI leads) convert in the telly circuitry to optical output.

Then set telly sound on the optical out to PCM ( this is boring 2 channel sound not 5.1 or 7.1 as the ebay £12 box does not like).

My digital audio out on the 2 year old panasonic 3d telly we have gives PCM (what you want with the £12 box) or auto.
I have on auto to feed the 5.1 surrond amp.

Then this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-OPTICAL-CABLE-DIGITAL-A...

£1 in our poundland but not recently, even had 1.5m HDMI leads, bought and using.
ebay not always the best!.

Guessing your telly has a red and white output like our expensive thing.
Then games machine on HDMI does not come out that analgue output as digital input.

Nothing in the never ending settings in the menu so sort it out. Tellys to complicated now, youwant to try and set up a modern surround amp that brings it's own menu upp on its little screen and the telly, so hard work and the auto speaker set up. the sub woofer most have been heard some houses away and low frequency pulsing was loud, plugged a mic supplied into a hole on the front of amp for self setting up. never again, can ballance with out blowing hole in the floor and down to the neighbours below (upstairs flat). off the point.

If everything on the telly screen has the sound come out of the optical output then the £12 gadget will do.

Needs someone with a old miinidisk recorder ( I have 2) or DAT tape from the 90's as we had a college in those days doing sound engineering, this has a optical input and if all sourse, DVD, games machine, normal telly and what ever is plugged into telly come out of it then point proved and buy the £12 gadget.

Worth proving a point first with a old minidisk or DAT recorder,

Worth asking on gumtree if anyone local has, good if you where around here but guess not.

Abingdon, 7 miles from Oxford.

Without knowing set up so sort of guessing not sure what to do.
Is not right then ring up and explain but sure with a good set up thing on the posting page then others can say what as well.

Me just sort of guessing with limited info.

If you are certainly up on these things would appreciate any help you could offer when you are free, thanks

------------------------------
thismorning just now

Oh god isn't it just complicated, do they make it that hard so you have to buy surround systems instead haha . I never knew that until you just explained it, so you can use standard external audio on scarts etc but not things using HDMI. So I presume that's how surround systems work, the blue ray/dvd plugs in via HDMI and the speakers connect specifically to that system.

Everything on my TV is connected via HDMI so I could be out of luck then unless I can win the lottery . I have a Sumvision Media Centre plugged in, the PS3, and the Freeview box.

Cheers for the reply Daniel least I know how it works now, appreciated. I'm glad you managed to persevere and get the sound working on your good TV

Try the £12 gadget and if no good not to bad of a waste or can you get hold of a optical input device like a minidisk recorder or digital audio tape machine (so both 90's) as we had them at college and had 4 minidisk machines in my time including the sony pocket type, £300 in 1997, so dear.

If that takes the output from the telly on all devices so sound comes out of the telly what ever is on the screen as picture then the £12 gadget will work I guess.

We had a red and white phono socket audio out on the 2003 panasonic telly that went to line in (red and white sockets) on back of hifi and used the hifi as the sound, nice big speaker on the wall so a lot nicer than corney speakers in the telly.

Now all HDMI to the surround amp and the telly control works the amp, all bits of kit tak to each other and turn each other off and on as communicate on HDMI leads.

Gone are the days of analog red and white plugs and different remotes.

sister uses headphone 3,5mm plug lead to red and white plug lead £2 or so on ebay and so sound comes from headphone out on telly to input on back of hifi. no telly speaker sound but nice hifi speakers on wall and just turn telly sound up and down as usual on telly control.

Friends panasonic telly from 4 months ago was going to do this set up to into hifi but headphone is separate level in the sound setting on a menu button. plugging in headphones did not shut of telly speakers so idea did not work for better sound.

Does you telly speakers stop when anyold pair of headphones plugged in and then normal telly volume buttons bring up and down. Then feed computer speakers from that.

Just a thought.

Will put all responces on the forum including what is been said, others might have ideas. say if you want it off and I will. off downtown now but can remove if needed.

Hopefully can find the send thing last night.!.

Edited by Daniel_g (Sat 05-Jan-13 09:37:23)

Standard User Daniel_g
(committed) Sat 05-Jan-13 09:32:48
Print Post

just put the private stuff on here, say if you want it removed, people can read and will come up with ideas so worth having on here I think.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to