Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 26-Jul-13 08:16:11
Print Post

Now TV Box

[link to this post]

I see Now TV have launched a Now TV Box. It looks a bit like a Roku box

In reference to shop.nowtv.com/:
What is the NOW TV Box?

The tiny NOW TV Box is the easy way to get live & on demand entertainment straight to your TV. Together with a NOW TV account you can:

Make your TV a smart TV

Stream the latest Sky Movies and live Sky Sports in high-quality with a NOW TV account

Access a great range of live & catch-up channels with Sky News, BBC iPlayer and Demand 5

Make it your own with loads of brilliant entertainment channels and apps to download

The NOW TV Box costs just £9.99 (includes postage & packaging)

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 26-Jul-13 10:37:19
Print Post

Re: Now TV Box

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

That's because it is a Roku box.

$10 million of funding last year gave them rights to do this sort of thing

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Jul-13 09:12:53
Print Post

Now TV is awful, I seen it via a PS3 and a Xbox and for the price it is not good quality at all, I think i will stick with Netflix

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vwillcox
(newbie) Mon 29-Jul-13 09:26:17
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I have used nowTV via the XBox, PS3 and PC and the quality is excellent.

Never had a problem with if. If you tried it via the early PS3 beta then the quality did have issues to start, but this has improved significantly.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Jul-13 14:20:12
Print Post

[re: vwillcox] [link to this post]

Agreed, on xbox360 it was pretty darn close to Sky Movies HD

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 01-Aug-13 13:17:21
Print Post

My NowTV box arrived. Everything needed is in the box.
Plugged it in, joined my wifi network, signed up to NowTV and it just works.

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 05-Aug-13 17:16:04
Print Post

NowTV is a channel option on the official Roku. So I assume a Roku can access anything the Sky NowTV box can, but can the Sky "Roku" access all the content available on a normal Roku?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 05-Aug-13 17:21:44
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

It has a Roku channel, but I don't know if that's all the content available on a normal Roku.

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 05-Aug-13 17:55:22
Print Post

I have a Roku LT(so basically the same(?) hardware as you AFAIK). I watch quite a few different channels but especially TWiT network and Revision 3 - and I also added the Plex channel so I can stream video from computers to the TV. If the Now TV box doesn't have the same flexibility it seems a bit of a false economy - the Roku LT is more expensive (£40 eBay) but it's still peanuts.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 05-Aug-13 18:10:10
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

Well, it was a tenner including batteries for the remote and an HDMI cable - which is probably the p&p from Ebay wink
I'll check out the Plex channel to see if it's available...

Standard User geoff_mack
(newbie) Sat 17-Aug-13 19:14:26
Print Post

Definitely worth the money.

Movies quality is decent, not full HD but it'll do.

Plex is available in developer mode but I don't think i'll ever use it.

Would recommend installing the Now USTV app - NBC are airing some premier league games this season. Currently watching Swansea - Man U and the quality is BETTER than that of the free to air screening on Sky 2.
Standard User britishtrident
(newbie) Fri 17-Jan-14 13:46:01
Print Post

[re: geoff_mack] [link to this post]

Yes I bought one as a toe in the water exercise, works just fine only complaint is I ordered an AV cable but it has arrived, I will now chase up the AV cable order for the second time.
The box worked well on reasonable fast normal broadband but I am on FTTC it is better particularly on BBC iPlayer ..
The main draw back is Netflix is blocked.
I now don't know if I should order a more upmarket Roku model for one of my other TVs or wait for Chromecast to arrive in the UK, I probably end doing both.
Standard User astateoftrance
(experienced) Thu 03-Apr-14 22:08:12
Print Post

I wouldn't go as far to say the quality of NOW TV is awful but it is nowhere near as good as Netflix. NOW TV is streamed live in SD and the on demand is in 720p according to their web site. Netflix is full/super HD if bandwidth allows. I have around 6 mbps so think it streams at full HD and the difference between Netflix and NOW TV is big.

I will still keep NOW TV though as it has all the TV shows I love but Sky need to up the quality.
Standard User brandscill
(member) Sat 05-Apr-14 11:56:57
Print Post

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

It sucks that the quality isn't as good because the content is so much better. Sadly the Roku hardware that the Now TV is based on doesn't support 1080p. I guess they chose the lower box price in an attempt to get it into as many homes as possible.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Jul-14 10:07:21
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

i decided to get myself one of these now TV boxes and while it don't support 1080, the quality is pretty good, much better than when I tried it on my ps3.

I have six months entertaiment on it, so I will see if it is worth keeping after the six months.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Jul-14 11:55:33
Print Post

Is the quality that much better than PS3? If it is perhaps I should get around to plugging mine in as I used the PS3 assuming it was no different.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Jul-14 14:54:11
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Is the quality that much better than PS3? If it is perhaps I should get around to plugging mine in as I used the PS3 assuming it was no different.

it is for me, but my PS3 is getting on a bit. a mate of mine got one of slimmer ones, the ones they made after the fat ones and he seems to think the Now box is better than is PS3 as well.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Standard User bernado
(regular) Thu 24-Jul-14 16:33:28
Print Post

I got one of these just for the free catch up services which work great, certainly when compared to my PS3 which is pretty hopeless for that
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Jul-14 09:45:38
Print Post

[re: bernado] [link to this post]

I paid for 6 month entertainment pass which came with the free NowTV box. Must get around to plugging it in as it seems I am possibly not getting the best experience using the PS3.
Standard User bernado
(regular) Wed 30-Jul-14 08:41:46
Print Post

Yes do give it a whirl, I find the PS3 OK for Iplayer but all the other channels hopeless. You can also download a free remote control app for your phone which is handy, the kids always lose the little white devil
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Wed 30-Jul-14 09:18:55
Print Post

I would recommend anyone to buy the real Roku box. For ~£40 you get 1080p, Dolby Digital, Netflix and hundreds more channels.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Jul-14 15:14:06
Print Post

[re: bernado] [link to this post]

I've got a Logitech smart remote and have already programmed it for the NowTV - just haven't got around to actually plugging the NowTV in. I seem to be fighting against apathy at the moment especially now that Game Of Thrones has finished.
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Sat 09-Aug-14 07:34:49
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

The £40 Roku is 720 only but that asides it's a much better buy as like you said you get access to more channels!

BT ADSL 4.7Mbps (Actual)
Standard User Davey_H
(newbie) Sat 09-Aug-14 07:40:42
Print Post

A tenner more gets you either the streaming stick or roku 1 though, which are 1080.
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Sat 09-Aug-14 12:17:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by brandscill:
The £40 Roku is 720 only but that asides it's a much better buy as like you said you get access to more channels!

My Roku 2 XS, which I bought for less than £40, is 1080p and DD5.1]

Edited by Stevenage_Neil (Sat 09-Aug-14 12:18:42)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to