Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Nagraman
(newbie) Sun 28-Jul-13 17:25:29
Print Post

BT Sport on Youview

[link to this post]

Hello all,

Would value some advice

BACKGROUND

I have a working system via BT Infinity - and a Youview Box.

However I am NOT a fan of the BT Homehub, and thus use a Linksys E4200 router instead. It works fine, and unlike the Homehub, enables me to use the excellent Opendns to control what comes in to a network of family users on various devices.

However, it will NOT allow BT sport - which is currently broadcasting it's "coming soon" messages.

It gives me an IPC6023 code which the Youview website says is "Poor Internet Channel Picture Quality".

As an experiment today I put the Homehub back into circuit, and after a while the notoriously slow Youview box starting showing the BT Sport programmes. Of course, because BT are odd and stubborn, it will not allow me to configure and use Opendns.

My question is this...

Which settings would I need to change if I switch back to my Linksys E4200, to allow BT sport to stream?

Is it more likely to be a router setting, or an Opendns setting which is currently preventing it? Any suggestions?

Some factors - All my connections and speeds are clearly fine - because it's working now on a Homehub.

As for the Linksys, all other TV over broadband services work fine on it, eg BBC iPlayer, 4OD, iTunes downloads on an Apple TV etc.

In fact everything that should work on a Homehub does also work on the Linksys - absolutely everything - except BT Sport....

Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 28-Jul-13 21:35:56
Print Post

Re: BT Sport on Youview

[re: Nagraman] [link to this post]

BT TV which is how BT Sport works over YouView relies on multicast and the Linksys is probably not setup for this. Certainly when trialing multicast over ADSL years ago the kit choice was limited.

There is also some QoS that may take place with the HomeHub to try and ensure someone starting a massive download does not make the stream stutter.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 28-Jul-13 22:05:57
Print Post

Why not connect the Linksys to the Homehub and put it in the DMZ?

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MikePiff
(newbie) Sun 11-Aug-13 15:35:42
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Would that not open up one of the routers and your home to hacking? Stealth is preferable.

Also, did you mean connect the homehub to your LAN but stick it in the DMZ or connect the homehub to your modem, the other router to its LAN and put the other router in the DMZ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Aug-13 17:53:04
Print Post

[re: MikePiff] [link to this post]

Putting a router in DMZ would only be dangerous if it had exploits out there in the wild for the device that was designated as the DMZ host, which in the example would have been the Linksys device.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Sun 11-Aug-13 19:15:51
Print Post

[re: MikePiff] [link to this post]

Would that not open up one of the routers and your home to hacking? Stealth is preferable.

only slightly LESS than if using it as the primary (wan facing) router
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 11-Aug-13 19:47:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just one other thought.

If you let the linksys automatically obtain its DNS servers (so it uses the BT ones) does this have any effect on the issue as I suspect BT will restrict the propagation of the IP addresses of the nodes streaming BT Sport for obvious reasons.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Aug-13 22:16:17
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

I doubt that will have any effect., the original problem is the multicast and that the Linksys is not handling it

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5085-more-evidenc...

Standard User Nagraman
(newbie) Tue 27-Aug-13 00:32:26
Print Post

Hi all,

For the record I solved this.

I got the BT Homehub out, turned it on, disabled wifi. I plugged it into the Infinity router, and plugged the Youview box ethernet into the back. BT Sport channels now work.

I kept the Linksys doing all other work for my home, including Opendns, and ran an ethernret cable over into the BT Homehub.

Works fine.

Thanks for all your thoughts, most of which were way above me.
  Print Thread

Jump to