Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Fri 23-Aug-13 02:00:57
Print Post

youview mobile broadband

[link to this post]

Hi would youview's internet services work fine over mobile broadband out local cash generator are selling YV boxes for £60 thinking of investing in one for my grandma as she has no intrest in sky/virgin but would like to be able to record/pause/rewind etc and at £60 these seam's a bargain

She wont get the internet as she has no interest in computers/consoles and things like that and dose not want to have to pay line rental just to get internet and so on,
But i do have a spare one plan sim and a spare android phone to use as a hot spot ( link the 2 by adding a wireless to Ethernet bridge).

So my main question are the online services on youview fine with mobile BB as even on a standard H phone i get 5.2D/2U meg at her house so speed wise this should be fine but im not sure if there would be problems with latency or anything as im not 100% sure how the YV boxes handle their internet content average ping is about 65-85ms

Thanks Ash

Sky Unlimited - Speed to Be seen when fully activated

Edited by acpsd775 (Fri 23-Aug-13 11:24:55)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Aug-13 11:56:19
Print Post

Re: youview mobile broadband

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

The internet connection should only be needed for catch up services. the freeview PVR (which is the core of the box) should operate without an internet connection.

So should no be problem for record/pause, and if you can get above 3 Mbps type connection then TV viewing is possible over mobile but usage allowance would be the issue there.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Fri 23-Aug-13 11:59:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The internet connection should only be needed for catch up services. the freeview PVR (which is the core of the box) should operate without an internet connection.

So should no be problem for record/pause, and if you can get above 3 Mbps type connection then TV viewing is possible over mobile but usage allowance would be the issue there.

well its unlimited (threes the one plan) i new the box its self would work ok offline but was not sure how the catch ups works iif they were downloaded or streamed ETC so was not sure if latency would be a problem or not i presumed it would be fine ans catch up is more bothered about bandwidth in general, its only live streams that i know have usually have latency problems.

So in a nut shell every thing should be A OK

Ash

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Aug-13 13:43:21
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

Streaming should cope reasonable well with latency, certainly people do streaming over satellite services

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Fri 23-Aug-13 13:48:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thanks i thought it would be ok but always best to check these things, TBF i cant see her using too much on demand its s i say mainly the record / pause / rewind etc of freeview channels shes waning

Ash

Print Thread

Jump to