Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User movinglight
(newbie) Wed 04-Jun-14 08:54:19
Print Post

BT Sport query

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I have a friend here in Sheringham that wants to watch BT sport on his television, he cannot currently receive it as his freeview is from the West Runton transmitter which doesn't transmit the channels.

He currently gets ADSL from BT and has the basic BT vision box.

Infinity (with multicast) is now available in his area and I was wondering if he switched to infinity and requested a humax freeview box from BT he would be able to receive the sports channels via the internet rather than through the aerial? (IPTV - perhaps some kind of app on the device?)

Sorry if this is a bit of an obvious question but I honestly cant find a straight answer to this (the BT site seems to assume that if you receive free view you will get the sports channels).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Jun-14 08:14:41
Print Post

Re: BT Sport query

[re: movinglight] [link to this post]

I thought with the youview that BTSport in HD was ip based

Best to check with bt sales and get an agreement where no penalty exit is allowed if it does not work

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User flippery
(committed) Thu 05-Jun-14 09:43:29
Print Post

I have just received literature from BT offering upgrade to TV.
It states that as long as I have download in excess of 6.4MBMbps I can get BT Sports and ESPN in SD
I watch Eurosport but can only get this with Infinity at a cost, or certain New TVs.
Looking to get rid of sky later this year when infinity arrives.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Thu 05-Jun-14 22:22:10
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Hi Flippery,

Does this come via the freetime box or is it just an indication that you could use an app on a smartphone or tablet?

Unfortunately my friend does not want a smartphone or tablet, they do like to make it hard on themselves sometimes!

S
(newbie) Thu 05-Jun-14 22:28:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the suggestion, I can see where your coming from (I didn't want him to get the deal and then find out it did not work with his setup either).

Not 100% sure BT would make an ad hoc agreement but I will suggest it to him.

There doesn't seem to be a flood of "I have a youview box and I receive BT sports without being able to pick up the freeview channels" type emails yet so its definitely a tread slowly and carefully scenario.

S
Standard User Rebeldiamond
(learned) Sun 15-Jun-14 21:00:25
Print Post

I use a google chromecast plugged into my tv hdmi to watch BT sport, the added bonus is it's in HD which you'd normally have to pay £3 a month for.
Not sure if that helps?
  Print Thread

Jump to