Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bilbobaggins
(regular) Tue 30-Jun-15 19:43:11
Print Post

BT Master Socket and 'engineer visit'

[link to this post]

I 've asked Sky for a Fibre Unlimited service, as my local exchange now offers FTTC. I have a very elderly BT Master Socket in the attic, with feeds from that to e.g. a conventional ADSL router at ground level and hence to PCs, and also telephone services.

In order to gain advantage from this enhanced fibre service, am I likely to need an improved BT Master Socket and/or enhanced cabling and/or the relocation of this to the ground floor, or should I 'suck it and see'.....?

Er, I'm not yet into HD streaming, but expect to do so with e.g. movies, and VoIP sounds interesting

Er, 'search' returned nothing that seemed relevant....

Edited by bilbobaggins (Tue 30-Jun-15 19:44:02)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 01-Jul-15 00:34:46
Print Post

Re: BT Master Socket and 'engineer visit'

[re: bilbobaggins] [link to this post]

Ideal world the filter for the VDSL service is placed at the master socket, before all the wiring splits to go around the house. VDSL/FTTC is more sensitive to the impact of extension wiring.

Is it an engineer install or a self install (the later is normal with Sky) with the engineer install so long as the master is accessible they will usually switch it out for the newer style and add a VDSL faceplate e.g. http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/

If your master socket is old, but still the type that has a removeable faceplate, fitting the VDSL filter plate is pretty simple.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bilbobaggins
(regular) Fri 10-Jul-15 13:49:18
Print Post

Re: BT Master Socket and 'engineer visit'

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've had the Sky 'migration service', and it was a complete farce. While I had been told that a fitter/engineer would call and effect the migration of services - without my so requesting - the fellow who came simply changed the several connections from my ADSL router to his provided Hub router. He was unable to effect a working connection to the exchange.

After a lengthy telecall, he announced an Openreach engineer would effect the connection later that day, and left. It didn't happen. Subsequent investigation uncovered a small difference between what the gaining company's database had as my postal address, and what Openreach had. The 'system' rejected the order. No-one bothered to deal with it - although the Sky 'broadband excalation' team leader was somehow aware of the potential problem.

It went from bad to worse - but I won't trouble good readers with further tales of Sky woe. Suffice it to say that I'm now advised that fibre-speed increment would, for me, likely be around 2-3Mbps, and not worth the premium. Oh, and Sky want to charge me £50 for an 'assisted installation' I didn't request, and didn't happen.

NB. For info, and flagged up to The Staff FWIW, the Sky Hub-modem supplied is now an SR102-C, all in black.

Edited by bilbobaggins (Fri 10-Jul-15 14:18:14)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to