Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Dec-15 07:33:05
Print Post

Sky Q ?

[link to this post]

Just been looking at this kit and as far as i can see Sky are being extremely clever or very naive with this new Equipment.

For starters to me it looks like you have to be a Sky Broadband customer for this service to work with there new Sky Hub that talks to the new Sky Q boxes.

I love all media related stuff and gadgets but Sky for Broadband would not be the route i would take and i have to say if what i read about there new Sky Q is true and Sky Broadband is the only option for this to work then i doubt very much i would be interested.

I need reliability with my broadband and not high contention and drop outs,i have not tried Sky for Broadband but the few people i know that have haven't had many good things to say about the service.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 21-Dec-15 08:45:47
Print Post

Re: Sky Q ?

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

My Sky Fibre Pro Unlimited is perfect.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Dec-15 10:58:31
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Glad to here wink Im only going of what i have heard and what i read on various forums,there are always negatives regarding with how satisfied most customers are with a product or service.

I was more worried at the contention rates given they are now a big Broadband service provider.

In the past i have always had a better service and speed using smaller companies like Xilo and have refused to use the likes of BT,Sky,Talk Talk because of the negativity surrounding these companies.

Whats appealing about the bigger broadband suppliers is obviously the price structure ,i was paying virtually 3 times the cost with Xilo as opposed to the other bigger companies.

I now have BT and to be fair so far the last 10 months they have been decent,but i am down about 8/10 meg compared to Xilo.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User omnius
(member) Mon 21-Dec-15 13:49:23
Print Post

Ive been watching this as well but from what i have found the q box's will work with any internet provider/router its just that to get the full bells and whistles you need the skyQ router that only works with skys own service (for now anyway, wasnt the box sets only for sky bb subs untill they realised people wouldnt jump ship to them).

Mind you the only benefit i can see to useing their router is that it has built in powerline networking (that doesnt work with anything else so i look forward to all the complaints of people who dont read that bit and expect it to work with other kits) and turns any other skyQ boxs connected to it into wifi repeaters.

Still being able to record 4 programs while watching another AND streaming to 2 devices all at the same time does sound very handy (take that virgin, BT!!)
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Mon 21-Dec-15 18:25:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by time2die:
<snip>
I need reliability with my broadband and not high contention and drop outs,i have not tried Sky for Broadband but the few people i know that have haven't had many good things to say about the service.

I can't say anything but good things about the Sky Broadband service I get - I am pretty fussy as a general rule, and when I took Sky BB I only took my original line because it was completely free inc line rental at the time, so I figured I'd see how it was, and if it sucked, I'd just provision a line via my work as normal.

However... the reality is that Sky has provided me with utterly reliable broadband service, it "just works", it's able to reach the full 80/20 service provided, as I get the full sync and do regularly push it to the limit.

I'm also a Sky TV customer - Sky Q would hopefully address some of my long standing irritations - the inability today to have a programme recorded on any box played anywhere in the house is a reason I wouldn't have Multi-Room, and instead end up with mostly fine solutions like Slingplayer.

A lot of what Sky Q is supposedly going to offer I have no interest in, but there are a few bits I do and I will certainly look to end up with it. With any luck the set top box might be more reliable than the current HD 2TB box.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Dec-15 18:26:02
Print Post

[re: omnius] [link to this post]

It looks like a nice bit of kit but I'm still convinced that to get the best of what they release early 2016 you are going to really need to have Sky Broadband,at present we are paying around £80 a month for our subscription which has to HD Boxes and multi room before we get started on the subscription cost and the fact we have Sky Movies,Sky Sports and everything else nearly they have on there service.

Just the 2 HD boxes and the multiform is over £30 so i don't think this Sky Q will be cheap and i think we are going to see quite a hike in price if its not bad enough already.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Dec-15 18:32:06
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

The more i hear about the good broadband service the more i like it,I'm not exactly dishing the dirt on Sky having not tried them and only hearing negativity surrounding there service from the few people i know that did have broadband with them.

I said i would never ever go with BT,but the past 18 months i decided after many years of declining there services to try them out based on what i was paying at the time with Xilo which was around £40 with a download limit of 75gig.

Bt offered me Fibre with unlimited downloads and there new hub which i don't use for £14.99 a month,and at the time that included BT Sport for free which is now a fiver and i was paying £14.99 a month plus silo charge for broadband.
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Mon 21-Dec-15 20:08:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by time2die:
The more i hear about the good broadband service the more i like it,I'm not exactly dishing the dirt on Sky having not tried them and only hearing negativity surrounding there service from the few people i know that did have broadband with them.

Every ISP has the odd unhappy customer, so I understand of course. However... if you look at the Sky Forums generally you'll find it's not that "busy" - and they're not short of customers.
  Print Thread

Jump to