Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mikejp
(member) Fri 01-Jan-16 09:31:13
Print Post

Amazon Prime:Streaming movies

[link to this post]

Season's greetings to all.

Amazon 'Prime' has an annoying 'missing' function, unlike Netflix, in that it does not allow you to choose the stream definition. Although I would be happy to stream in SD (for bandwidth purposes) Amazon does not allow a choice. Watched 'Mr Turner' last night at 14.37GB !! which would cripple some low bandwith customers (like my son).

I see a long-standing 'wail' from Prime users about this but no reply from Amazon. I am using a Firestick, which I have set to 720p, but movies detect my HSB connection and revert to HD. It looks as if Amazon are not interested in offering this function (which they do for downloaded movies) so the only choice would be to ditch Prime and go to Netflix, UNLESS there is a way to tell my Billion 8800NL router via QOS to limit the Firestick speed. The problem I see here is that I gather the IP address for the Firestick can change on each reboot.

Can anyone help with this problem? Can I ‘freeze’ the IP address for the Firestick without adversely affecting my set up?

I have now 'discovered' via Amazon Firestick 'help' that while the Fire TV DOES apparently offer a streaming choice, the Firestick does not. I have requested they look at a firmware upgrade here if they do not want to lose Prime customers.

Edited by mikejp (Fri 01-Jan-16 11:54:04)

Standard User mikejp
(member) Sat 02-Jan-16 17:36:40
Print Post

Re: Amazon Prime:Streaming movies

[re: mikejp] [link to this post]

So far so good, I have set WAN to LAN to 3% for the IP of the firestick. Tomorrow will bring a check on bandwidth used streaming a movie at that.
Standard User Amjad
(learned) Sat 02-Jan-16 19:11:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by mikejp:
Can anyone help with this problem? Can I ‘freeze’ the IP address for the Firestick without adversely affecting my set up?

Hi,

Can't help with the stream settings but you can set a device to receive the same IP address. Find the MAC address of the firestick, this should be shown in your client list on the router, it will be a 12 digit hex code in 6 pairs, ie: 00:12:6C:1D:BB:AB.

On the routers DHCP page there will be a section for 'DHCP static mappings', enter the firesticks MAC address and the IP address that you want it have in there. You will need to reboot the firestick (not the router) if you want it to use the new address immediately.

Happy New Year.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mikejp
(member) Sat 02-Jan-16 19:20:36
Print Post

[re: Amjad] [link to this post]

Thanks, Amjad - in my journey through the jungle I had found out how to do that and it is set.
Standard User mikejp
(member) Tue 05-Jan-16 10:34:30
Print Post

UPDATE: Despite the 'advice' on Kitz that QoS was not what I need, I am delighted to confirm that setting the WAN to LAN rate at "3%" on a 30Mb+ down speed has produced 2 (full) movies streamed with no impact on viewing and a useage of 4.84GB which is a bit of an improvement on 14+ for one!

Son has reported that simple setting the firestick to boot at 720 appears to have sorted his ADSL bandwidth issue.,

Edited by mikejp (Tue 05-Jan-16 10:34:58)

Print Thread

Jump to