Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Skilty
(member) Tue 05-Jan-16 08:28:47
Print Post

Sky, BT TV, TalkTalk TV or wait

[link to this post]

Just wanted peoples opinions and experiences of BT TV and TalkTalk TV. I have been a Sky TV subscriber for over 15 years and I am wondering about the alternatives.

If I list the channels its BBC, ITV, C4, C5, Sky One, Sky Atlantic and Nick/Disney. Maybe a bit of Discovery or National Geographic every now and then. Don't watch sport and have Netflix/Amazon Prime for movies etc. Catch up would be good as my wife works away and records a week of East Enders etc to watch when she gets back.

Sky Q looks interesting (depending on sub and price of kit) but BT TV is a lot cheaper with their quad play and provides the channels (except the two Sky ones) we watch. The question is are the kids channels live stream or only OD? Same question applies to TalkTalk TV. For Sky Atlantic would pick up a NowTV subscription as and when needed.

The other left field candidate is the new AppleTV, it can play my extensive movie and TV show library, it has iPlayer, NowTV and as people can add apps I am guessing more content providers will pop up over time.

What are peoples thoughts and has anybody else considered jumping off the Sky ship?

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Jan-16 11:50:46
Print Post

Re: Sky, BT TV, TalkTalk TV or wait

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

I have just switched back to BT TV from Sky. I am on the Entertainment Plus Package with HD - mainly because I watch the SyFy channel. I will use NowTV for some Sky 1 and Sky Atlantic stuff (GoT). Can pick up 3 months of NowTV entertainment in Currys for £15 (they also do movies a bit cheaper than going direct - and it is by far the cheapest way to get Sky Movies).

I am pretty sure the kids channels are streamed but I don't get them as I don't have kids. SyFy channel works well on streaming - good quality and have recorded a couple of programmes this week which have worked just fine.

I was going to get the top UHD package but wasn't allowed as my Internet is only 45Mbps (have to be at least 55Mbps).

The new YouView box is much smaller than the old one I had and seems to work well. The ability to go back to previous days in the planner for on demand works quite well - BBC iPlayer is particularly good but the channel 4 catch up not so much - it doesn't download the content like the Sky box does.

So far I am happy with BT TV. In a year I might go back to Sky if Sky Q is any good but the big benefit of BT TV is that I am not getting the signal issues I have been getting with Sky lately in the bad weather.
Standard User Skilty
(member) Wed 06-Jan-16 13:25:17
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

From memory you used to be able to watch NowTV on the YouView box itself but there were issues between the casting used by Sky etc.

Do you need the separate NowTV box?

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Jan-16 14:34:35
Print Post

Not sure. I will try to remember to have a look tonight - my TV supports NowTV as does my Blu-Ray player so I haven't even looked to see if the BT box has the app.

EDIT : It looks like it is a YouView app in general so presumably is available on all YouView boxes. But, I will try and look to confirm.

Edited by ian72 (Wed 06-Jan-16 14:35:55)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Jan-16 18:10:31
Print Post

NowTV app is indeed on my new bt youview box.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Jan-16 08:31:46
Print Post

Just noticed over on the PlusNet board that someone on theirs has the NowTV app but seems can only get it working with Movies and not Entertainment channels.
Standard User nelix01
(committed) Thu 23-Feb-17 13:58:53
Print Post

Correct, NOW TV app on YouView will only support Movies and Sport. You cannot get the entertainment channels like Sky 1 and Sky Atlantic.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Feb-17 14:29:54
Print Post

Other than the BTTV box crashing a fair bit I've found it to be decent.

It is just freeview with a few extra channels in my opinion.

I had the entertainment max package and typically the HD streamed channels are what causes it to freeze if it does. I also had plenty of times the audio wouldn't play on the streamed channels. A quick reboot later and it was always fixed.

Compared to sky it does lack a lot of channels but it has the essentials. You can get a full channel listing on the BT website and I'd encourage you to take a good look.

Also for me the BT Mini connectors didn't work well for the live streaming of channels and I ended up running a long wire between.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Feb-17 17:52:51
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Would that be no 4K then?

Michael Chare
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Feb-17 18:24:18
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Yep no 4K... I have just switched over to the full house bundle with virginmedia today. I believe it has some 4K stuff but I've yet to find it.
  Print Thread

Jump to