Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Feb-16 18:06:40
Print Post

Re: Sky Q Hub ?

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

Not exactly the future is it coming with just 2 Ethernet ports,I'm really tempted by Sky Q but for starters you got to be a broadband customer until further notice for others broadband users, and I'm not convinced by a Hub That is kitted out with just the 2 Ethernet ports.

Yeah i know you can use a Ethernet Switch,i already have one at the back of my Tv For the Xbox One,Playstation 4 and the tv,would it be practical to have to use another from the Sky Hub situated in the office.

Im also not convinced that there Hub is on par with my Netgear router that cost around £200,do i discard that for there Hub.

I already use all my 4 ports on the Netgear ,Homeplugs,Sonus you name it.?

I also read but may have got a little confused that only sky Homeplugs are compatible but don't take me word for it,didn't even know they produced any.

This is part of the quote and I'm completely in the dark regarding this because i thought this was standard for any router........
The WiFi is run by a new Sky router Ė the Sky Q Hub. As an added boon, Sky claims the Q setup can send broadband signal over electrical wiring to create a complete home network and can turn mini hubs into broadband hotspots. I didnít get a chance to test the feature by checking network speed differences with the hotspots turned on and off, but can definitely see its appeal in homes with poor WiFi signal in remote rooms.

Im also not sold on the Sky Q package i was offered when looking online and when i get the option.

I sky Silver Box and a Mini for £99 plus £50 installation.

I know you can stream stuff to the sky mini but my girlfriend likes watching and recording her own stuff so this does not work for us.

Don't want her shouting down the stairs ever 10 minutes asking me to record this and that..........

im not convinced they have thought this through if I'm honest because there are plenty of people out there with multi-room boxes and this is not going to suit those people that want to record when they can not using the Mini.

Edited by time2die (Wed 17-Feb-16 18:11:15)

Standard User Davey_H
(learned) Wed 17-Feb-16 20:59:43
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by time2die:
Im also not sold on the Sky Q package i was offered when looking online and when i get the option.

I sky Silver Box and a Mini for £99 plus £50 installation.

I know you can stream stuff to the sky mini but my girlfriend likes watching and recording her own stuff so this does not work for us.

Don't want her shouting down the stairs ever 10 minutes asking me to record this and that..........

im not convinced they have thought this through if I'm honest because there are plenty of people out there with multi-room boxes and this is not going to suit those people that want to record when they can not using the Mini.

You've misunderstood how Sky Q works.

The Sky Q/Silver boxes are effectively used as tuner/media servers for the Minis.

So you can set recordings from and playback recordings on the Minis its just they are recorded on the Silver box. That's why Q has all those tuners.

It also means you have a shared planner, which I think could be an annoyance for some unless they add/include the option of user profiles

Edited by Davey_H (Wed 17-Feb-16 21:07:04)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Feb-16 21:14:20
Print Post

[re: Davey_H] [link to this post]

So she can still record something upstairs in her bedroom using here Sky Q Mini and then watch it on that device.

Sounds a little confusing if you ask me,how do the sky q mini connect to the television,I'm not keen on that trying to pick up a wireless signal from the other device.

In my eyes i still need 2 Sky Q Silvers to have the same functions i now get ?

Edited by time2die (Wed 17-Feb-16 21:15:08)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 28-Feb-16 15:34:15
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

>So she can still record something upstairs in her bedroom using here Sky Q Mini and then watch it on that device.

Correct, or any other Sky Q or Sky Mini box in the household can record what it wants and watch it back on any of the other devices.

They connect to the TV via a HDMI cable.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User soapysoutar
(learned) Sun 28-Feb-16 16:07:10
Print Post

Re: Sky Q Arrives 9th February

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I hope you have plenty of money because Sky q is over priced, oh but then so is Sky anyway, but Sky Q is even more over priced.

Completely agree with you there mate. Last year we ditched our £80pm $ky subscription and instead bought a MAG254 IPTV box, and took out a 30 euros pm subscription on NTV.mx for all UK & USA premium channels. So all our $ky & $ky HD channels now come through our 80mbps fibre broadband via iptv and we've given the middle finger to $ky wink
$ky....believe in better and cheaper LOL

Excuse my ignorance on this, but is that a legitimate TV service, or something that is questionable at best?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 28-Feb-16 16:23:52
Print Post

[re: soapysoutar] [link to this post]

In reference to ntv.mx:
Access restricted

Access to www.ntv.mx is restricted due to your location.

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User derekdel
(member) Sun 28-Feb-16 17:15:15
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I suppose the use of a VPN would be handy for this although not ideal.

Fibre Line 1 BQM
ZeN Line 2 BQM
BT Backhaul sucks
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Feb-16 15:27:18
Print Post

[re: derekdel] [link to this post]

Or indeed likely to be allowed under the service Ts&Cs and copyright ownership of the material. If you need a VPN to access content due to location restrictions then the Ts&Cs are almost certainly being broken.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to