Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Wed 02-Mar-16 18:43:36
Print Post

Using iPlayer or catch up TV , pay for a licence

[link to this post]

iPlayer will need a licence

Standard User flippery
(experienced) Mon 01-Aug-16 18:51:52
Print Post

Re: Using iPlayer or catch up TV , pay for a licence

[re: AdrianPH] [link to this post]

From September licence needed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36942458
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Aug-16 22:29:09
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

I can see where this is going - they'll know your IP and the exact date/time when you downloaded/streamed a live/catch-up stream, and so will be able to trace (due to the Investigatory Powers Act permitting access to your personal information held by your ISP) your address, and thus be able to instantly determine if you have a license or not.

It's all falling into place rather nicely, isn't it? 1984 on steroids.

Zen Unlimited Fibre with Native IPv6
Automated Hourly HTTP×6 TBB Speed Tests (3×IPv4+3×IPv6)
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being bløcked?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Aug-16 02:02:02
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mixt:
I can see where this is going - they'll know your IP and the exact date/time when you downloaded/streamed a live/catch-up stream, and so will be able to trace (due to the Investigatory Powers Act permitting access to your personal information held by your ISP) your address, and thus be able to instantly determine if you have a license or not.

Just use a VPN that has a uk server, and there will be masses refusing to help fund the bias bbc until it stops distorting & delaying reporting selective news stories

Also an IP address alone isn't proof beyond reasonable doubt the level that is required by the criminal justice system in the uk, and the details of any isp's subscriber doesn't prove that it was they who watched /downloaded the content, and IP 's can be spoofed

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 02-Aug-16 02:12:49)

Standard User Marky76
(newbie) Tue 02-Aug-16 02:02:53
Print Post

They should tackle the vpn providers that stream live to to Europe first
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Aug-16 02:14:44
Print Post

[re: Marky76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Marky76:
They should tackle the vpn providers that stream live to to Europe first
Why there could be UK tv tax payers wanting to catch up whilst on holiday or working away? and that is a different thing altogether (GEO blocking )
Also they wouldn't be able to do anything about them as they are not based in the uk

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 02-Aug-16 02:16:41)

Standard User alexatkin
(regular) Tue 02-Aug-16 03:13:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by mixt:

Unless you can do that in real-time (they can't) I don't get what your point is.

They aren't going to check every single person using iPlayer to see if they are streaming legally or not.

Far more likely you have to register an account against your TV license and they will do the same as Netflix, limit it to a fixed number of streams at the same time.
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Aug-16 05:06:36
Print Post

[re: alexatkin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by alexatkin:
Unless you can do that in real-time (they can't) I don't get what your point is.

I was in tin-foil hat mode, don't worry.

But what makes you think they can't do any of what I said? It is completely possible in today's world. This is nothing more than simple IP address logging on the server side (their side). A VPN might save you, but if based in the UK or any country with an international treaty with us, they would be required to disclose IP details if asked.

So, bottom line with all this is ... I never do get the part where they invent new laws like this and are then unable to enforce them properly. laugh

In reply to a post by alexatkin:
Far more likely you have to register an account ...

Good point, we shall see then. ITV Player already requires for you to register an account plus provide your postcode, last time I checked. Linking a platform against the TV licensing database would be a whole new ball game, but entirely do-able.

Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)

Edited by mixt (Tue 02-Aug-16 05:18:45)

Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Aug-16 05:09:09
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
Also an IP address alone isn't proof beyond reasonable doubt...

Not proof of the person, I agree, but certainly proof of address. And TV licenses are key'ed off of addresses - that's how they are able to send threatening letters to addresses that don't have one.

Standard User flippery
(experienced) Tue 02-Aug-16 11:11:39
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

I use sky box to access Iplayer. Assume they will use my account number to allow access.
Does sky have a blocking policy in place for live access to BBC programs? I have always had a TV licence, curiosity only...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to