Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Wed 02-Mar-16 18:43:36
Print Post

Using iPlayer or catch up TV , pay for a licence

[link to this post]

iPlayer will need a licence

Standard User flippery
(experienced) Mon 01-Aug-16 18:51:52
Print Post

Re: Using iPlayer or catch up TV , pay for a licence

[re: AdrianPH] [link to this post]

From September licence needed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36942458
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Aug-16 22:29:09
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

I can see where this is going - they'll know your IP and the exact date/time when you downloaded/streamed a live/catch-up stream, and so will be able to trace (due to the Investigatory Powers Act permitting access to your personal information held by your ISP) your address, and thus be able to instantly determine if you have a license or not.

It's all falling into place rather nicely, isn't it? 1984 on steroids.

Zen Unlimited Fibre with Native IPv6
Automated Hourly HTTP×6 TBB Speed Tests (3×IPv4+3×IPv6)
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being bløcked?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Aug-16 02:02:02
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mixt:
I can see where this is going - they'll know your IP and the exact date/time when you downloaded/streamed a live/catch-up stream, and so will be able to trace (due to the Investigatory Powers Act permitting access to your personal information held by your ISP) your address, and thus be able to instantly determine if you have a license or not.

Just use a VPN that has a uk server, and there will be masses refusing to help fund the bias bbc until it stops distorting & delaying reporting selective news stories

Also an IP address alone isn't proof beyond reasonable doubt the level that is required by the criminal justice system in the uk, and the details of any isp's subscriber doesn't prove that it was they who watched /downloaded the content, and IP 's can be spoofed

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 02-Aug-16 02:12:49)

Standard User Marky76
(newbie) Tue 02-Aug-16 02:02:53
Print Post

They should tackle the vpn providers that stream live to to Europe first
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Aug-16 02:14:44
Print Post

[re: Marky76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Marky76:
Why there could be UK tv tax payers wanting to catch up whilst on holiday or working away? and that is a different thing altogether (GEO blocking )
Also they wouldn't be able to do anything about them as they are not based in the uk

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 02-Aug-16 02:16:41)

Standard User alexatkin
(regular) Tue 02-Aug-16 03:13:33
Print Post

Unless you can do that in real-time (they can't) I don't get what your point is.

They aren't going to check every single person using iPlayer to see if they are streaming legally or not.

Far more likely you have to register an account against your TV license and they will do the same as Netflix, limit it to a fixed number of streams at the same time.
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Aug-16 05:06:36
Print Post

[re: alexatkin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by alexatkin:
Unless you can do that in real-time (they can't) I don't get what your point is.

I was in tin-foil hat mode, don't worry.

But what makes you think they can't do any of what I said? It is completely possible in today's world. This is nothing more than simple IP address logging on the server side (their side). A VPN might save you, but if based in the UK or any country with an international treaty with us, they would be required to disclose IP details if asked.

So, bottom line with all this is ... I never do get the part where they invent new laws like this and are then unable to enforce them properly. laugh

In reply to a post by alexatkin:
Far more likely you have to register an account ...

Good point, we shall see then. ITV Player already requires for you to register an account plus provide your postcode, last time I checked. Linking a platform against the TV licensing database would be a whole new ball game, but entirely do-able.

Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)

Edited by mixt (Tue 02-Aug-16 05:18:45)

Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Aug-16 05:09:09
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
Also an IP address alone isn't proof beyond reasonable doubt...

Not proof of the person, I agree, but certainly proof of address. And TV licenses are key'ed off of addresses - that's how they are able to send threatening letters to addresses that don't have one.

Standard User flippery
(experienced) Tue 02-Aug-16 11:11:39
Print Post

I use sky box to access Iplayer. Assume they will use my account number to allow access.
Does sky have a blocking policy in place for live access to BBC programs? I have always had a TV licence, curiosity only...
Standard User Marky76
(newbie) Tue 02-Aug-16 12:52:36
Print Post

Why there could be UK tv tax payers wanting to catch up whilst on holiday or working away? and that is a different thing altogether (GEO blocking )
Also they wouldn't be able to do anything about them as they are not based in the uk

U.K. Tax payers? What you mean freeloading ex pats. BBC just needs to get with the program and scrap tv license. Just go for a subscription model
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Aug-16 14:23:40
Print Post

U.K. Tax payers? What you mean freeloading ex pats. BBC just needs to get with the program and scrap tv license. Just go for a subscription model
I wish it would it would be dead within 5 yrs, And i said holiday makers who go to EU countries or further. there is also a lot of people who work in other European countries that like to catch up , and as you mention it ext pats too

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 02-Aug-16 14:26:11)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Aug-16 14:29:08
Print Post

Also an IP address alone isn't proof beyond reasonable doubt...

Not proof of the person, I agree, but certainly proof of address. And TV licenses are key'ed off of addresses - that's how they are able to send threatening letters to addresses that don't have one.
they already have a database of addresses without a TV licence , and have been sending their generic Threat-o-gram's on a near monthly basis , in a cycle rinse & repeat mode for years
Standard User arendall667
(regular) Tue 02-Aug-16 16:16:54
Print Post

Wonder if this means you will need a licence if you own an internet connected computer or console as you now own a device capable of receiving BBC transmissions (much like you can't own a TV or a digital TV recorder and say you will never watch the BBC).

Bet I can guess how Capita (who I believe are the current licence hunters) will try and enforce it.

Edited by arendall667 (Tue 02-Aug-16 16:17:42)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Aug-16 16:24:16
Print Post

[re: arendall667] [link to this post]

Nothing has changed on that score. You could already own a PC that was capable of showing the live stream and that already required a license. All this does is extend the license requirement to the catch up as well.
Standard User Davey_H
(learned) Tue 02-Aug-16 18:07:16
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Nothing has changed on that score. You could already own a PC that was capable of showing the live stream and that already required a license. All this does is extend the license requirement to the catch up as well.

Just to be clear, owning a PC/device capable of watching (or recording') TV as it's broadcast live didn't require a TV Licence.

A licence was Only required if you used it for those purposes.

Edited by Davey_H (Tue 02-Aug-16 18:09:17)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Aug-16 07:46:19
Print Post

[re: Davey_H] [link to this post]

That is correct. I was correcting the fact that there seemed to be a belief that something had changed on the PC front - but in reality it hasn't because you could already own a PC that could have been used to break the TV licensing rules and all that has changed is that there is now an additional rule that can be broken.

Given that the BBC has not put on anything to require people to log in to watch live TV streamed to computers may mean that they won't for the new change of requiring a license for catch up. The license could be broken ever since live streaming became available on iPlayer but they never did anything significant to stop people.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 14-Aug-16 16:41:09
Print Post

What has TAX to do with anything?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 14-Aug-16 17:36:29
Print Post

Keep in mind that it is the UK Government that legislated for the Licences, not the BBC.

And the Licence Fee is not "hypothecated" or directly allocated to the BBC, penny for penny.

The legislation is that an amount approximating to the Licence Fee would be allocated from general taxation to fund the BCC.
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Tue 13-Dec-16 11:53:19
Print Post

Funnily enough I had a goon come round yesterday. He saw my nice big 4K TV and said " you need a licence" I then asked him why and he said "well you use Amazon and Netflix, and Amazon has live TV in it"

I laughed, told him that if it did then he needs to tell Amazon as even they aren't aware of this awesome feature and asked him to leave.

Afterwards out of no where his colleague came up (female) and said " please ignore him love he is fairly new, You do NOT need a licence for the apps he has seen and we will be on our way now, but I thank you very much for letting him in to view, you didn't have to do that"

[censored] won't again that's for sure! they can get a warrant for 2 years time. I don't use wifi and I run my router through a VPN so I could be an [censored] and actually watch Iplayer anyway and they couldn't sniff anything, however I don't.

he did raise one good point, he said that because NowTV has a watch live feature "I had to potential to use it" my reply, whilst sarky and extreme but also to the point was

'I also have the potential to murder, dosen't mean I choose to.."

He didn't comment lol

Edit: I don't use NowTV anyway! not my fault it came bundled and I can't uninstall it :/

Edited by 23Prince (Tue 13-Dec-16 11:56:14)

Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 13-Dec-16 12:14:49
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

This is the thing people do not realise. They have to be able to prove that you have or are:

1) Watching live TV, physically, with your eyes (and ears), sourced from a live broadcast or data stream (terrestrial or online, etc)

2) Recording, to any medium, in any format, a live stream, sourced from a live broadcast or data stream (terrestrial or online, etc)

The question of whether your equipment has the potential to allow for the above is irrelevant. It is the act of using said equipment to achieve any of the above 2 points that means you need a TV license, and is what they have to prove you have done (or are doing) before they can prosecute you.

And you are right. You don't need to let them in at all. They may tell you otherwise as an intimidation tactic, but they can only gain entry if you let them or via a search warrant, which normally requires a court order.

IDNet Fibre Unlimited 55/10 with Native IPv6
Previous ISPs » Zen (40/10 FTTC) | aaisp.net (40/10 FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)

Edited by mixt (Tue 13-Dec-16 12:15:48)

Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Tue 13-Dec-16 12:28:28
Print Post

Anyone who needs to clarify should also spend some time on YouTube - they will soon realise that TVL Capita staff have no more right to enter your house than the post man.

I use an IPTV app at half service which is as on demand as you can get - and it also can come with a IPTV live TV section so I could stream all live TV channels including Sky through it - however all they would see was me connected to a server, and that could be any server. Not that I would anyway.

It does annoy me that people pay when they don't need to - my wife was the same, out of fear for a £1000 fine. Now after some education she dosen't give a stuff.

I will never forget in 2012 when I first dealt with the "call about my licence" when the woman on the end of the phone ,and no word of a lie, told me that I should "get a pair of pliers and ensure that my TV was never able to accommodate an Ariel again"

As I had just bought it - you can imagine that the second word to come out of my mouth directly in reply was "off" smile

Until my dad stepped in they were harassing me nan to buy a TV licence, and it took a rather sharp conversation for them to realise..

She's 87! Her's has been free for the past 13 years! ;D
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Dec-16 14:34:53
Print Post

Best advice is the no contact method, Don't reply to the monthly threat -o- grammes they send ,
Don't even answer the door to them

And i have no intention of paying the licence fee to a biased anti-democratic news and media broadcaster, time the BBC were stripped of public funding and the TV tax abolished
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Tue 13-Dec-16 14:39:01
Print Post

Best advice is the no contact method, Don't reply to the monthly threat -o- grammes they send ,

And i have no intention of paying the licence fee to a biased anti-democratic news and media broadcaster, time the BBC were stripped of public funding and the TV tax abolished

+10000000!

They haven't bothered me for a few years actually, I am expecting a letter soon then!

Nah, I don't want to pay for Peados either!
Standard User flippery
(experienced) Tue 13-Dec-16 14:58:48
Print Post

How do you know, if you are not paying for service. Anti democratic is that an opinion that disagrees with yours?
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Dec-16 15:07:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by flippery:

How do you know, if you are not paying for service. Anti democratic is that an opinion that disagrees with yours?
They have been biaed for years and there are other non bias media sources out there who have highlighted this bias in particular about Brexit 17.4 million people voted for brexit and the BBC and other MSM have done nothing but to try and derail brexit, that is anti democratic as they seek to undermine the democratic will of those 17.4 million people at every turn with their propaganda and fake news, it was similar with Donald trump

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 13-Dec-16 15:09:44)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Dec-16 15:54:45
Print Post

Maybe they are also representing the 16.1 million people who didn't vote for brexit?

There are a lot of prominent people on all the TV channels who are anti-brexit. Channel 4 is much the same from the shows I have seen. I am assuming that most of the people on these programmes happen to come from backgrounds that make them more likely to have voted remain.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Dec-16 16:53:27
Print Post

Maybe they are also representing the 16.1 million people who didn't vote for brexit?

There are a lot of prominent people on all the TV channels who are anti-brexit. Channel 4 is much the same from the shows I have seen. I am assuming that most of the people on these programmes happen to come from backgrounds that make them more likely to have voted remain.
It's down to the corrupt establishment elite
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Tue 13-Dec-16 16:56:27
Print Post

More than likely the small cult of abusers they have paid and turned a blind to over the past 60 odd years... Most of who didn't want Brexit either. I wonder why.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Dec-16 17:08:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by 23Prince:

More than likely the small cult of abusers they have paid and turned a blind to over the past 60 odd years... Most of who didn't want Brexit either. I wonder why.
they are using the licence fees to pay for known jihadi's Abdul Haqq

This all part of forced cultural enrichment, that does not work

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 13-Dec-16 17:09:54)

Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Tue 13-Dec-16 17:12:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by 23Prince:

they are using the licence fees to pay for known jihadi's Abdul Haqq

This all part of forced cultural enrichment, that does not work

Well, we only have to look at the deal with Noel Edmonds to know it's all about the money. As soon as he announced in his purchase contract that he would end the TVL fee they shut him down in a flash.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to