General Discussion
  >> Jobs and Training

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | [130] | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GDLuke
(newbie) Sun 23-Jul-17 14:23:01
Print Post

Re: Openreach recruitment 8

[re: ShavedApe] [link to this post]

Those vans are huge! Having never driven a van I'm a bit nervous
Standard User Swanseajack91
(member) Sun 23-Jul-17 14:27:25
Print Post

Good luck for 2 weeks! Had my first day on my own Friday didn't get home until 8! Bundled 8 jobs managed to complete 6.
Standard User ShavedApe
(member) Sun 23-Jul-17 14:52:53
Print Post

[re: GDLuke] [link to this post]

The vans are indeed huge and if you haven't ever driven a van you need to be aware of its size. Dont swing out on turns that isnt going help unless you know how to do it correctly. When making a turn you need the front end to go deeper into the junction before making the turn, remember the back wheels will always take the shortest route.
Try and keep an eye on your left mirror as you turn left so you can see where the back end is going in relation to your turn. Same goes for a right but if there is no one in the junction you have a bigger margin of error.

Make your instructor/assessor aware of your inexperience as much as they are there to assess you they are ultimately teachers and will help you more if they know they need to. Biggest thing to remember is to take your time, its much easier to fix something thats going wrong because your going slowly that it is to fix something thats gone wrong because you did it too quickly to be able to stop it.

The assessment is more or less in three parts an initial drive to give you time to settle in, the assessment and then the fix the trouble is its still all an assessment get it wrong badly in the first 30 seconds and you'll still fail. So as I say take your time relax as its not a test its pretty much is this guy an idiot / dangerous if yes fail if no pass with feedback on where they can improve.

My comments are my own and represent my opinion only not that of any person or company I may have links to.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ShavedApe
(member) Sun 23-Jul-17 14:56:26
Print Post

[re: Swanseajack91] [link to this post]

Why didnt you get home till 8? what time are you supposed to finish? Im out on my own 2 weeks from now and expect a few late nights but my rota is 8 - 4:10 so im not expecting to get home after 8 too often maybe 6 lol
Completing 6 in a day is pretty impressive I was told during my SI buddying 4 or 5 is the expected anything after that is a bonus.

My comments are my own and represent my opinion only not that of any person or company I may have links to.

Edited by ShavedApe (Sun 23-Jul-17 15:05:41)

Standard User MrSpud
(learned) Sun 23-Jul-17 15:11:01
Print Post

Although different I did do 9 exchange tasks in 7 exchanges on Friday. Drove over 120miles! Still home for 4!
Standard User Dippa
(learned) Sun 23-Jul-17 15:19:31
Print Post

Good to know! I'm used to driving big vans so no worries there smile

@GDLuke, I'm starting the same date as you and in the same hotel I believe!
Standard User Dippa
(learned) Sun 23-Jul-17 15:27:22
Print Post

[re: Dippa] [link to this post]

Also, now we've been given our clothing prior to going, what are is everyone recommended to take for their carry ? Still a suitcase ?
Standard User GDLuke
(newbie) Sun 23-Jul-17 17:26:29
Print Post

Thanks for the advice mate. I have been driving for 6 years, lots of vehicles but nothing that big. I'll just take my time and go careful.

Dippa - see you there. I'm a bit confused about the travel arrangements as I'm arriving in Stafford so I imagine I'll have to get a taxi to Stoke. I sent them an email the other day to clarify
Standard User MohammadAli
(newbie) Sun 23-Jul-17 17:42:14
Print Post

[re: Dippa] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Dippa:
Also, now we've been given our clothing prior to going, what are is everyone recommended to take for their carry ? Still a suitcase ?

Dippa

From what I've been told and read,it's take as much as you need for first week,as it's only classroom based so won'T need much.
Obviously if some don't fit then take it up with you and get it changed for different size.

Still I'm taking a Suitcase as there's a lot to bring back as like everything we need for work so.
Mohammad Ali

Edited by MohammadAli (Sun 23-Jul-17 17:44:26)

Standard User MohammadAli
(newbie) Sun 23-Jul-17 17:49:22
Print Post

[re: GDLuke] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GDLuke:
Thanks for the advice mate. I have been driving for 6 years, lots of vehicles but nothing that big. I'll just take my time and go careful.

Dippa - see you there. I'm a bit confused about the travel arrangements as I'm arriving in Stafford so I imagine I'll have to get a taxi to Stoke. I sent them an email the other day to clarify

GDLuke

I'm the same ,was wondering that.been told it's Best Western Hotel In Stoke For Me,well seems a few of us Know.
And also how are we getting From Stoke Hotel And Yarnfield on Daily Basis.Does anyonow Know That.
I'm hoping there's a Bus's to pick us up and drop us off.
Let me know what they say when they reply to you Please.

Thanks

Mohammad Ali
Pages in this thread: << 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | [130] | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to