General Discussion
  >> Jobs and Training

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | [139] | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Dslammer
(learned) Wed 02-Aug-17 09:19:08
Print Post

Re: Openreach recruitment 8

[re: lincsboy1979] [link to this post]

I have resigned from the Openreach Trainee Engineer role. I handed my notice in, spoke to my manager at 8am and was heading back to Adastral Park at 8.15am to hand back the van.

My reason was that the length of the probationary period of 18 months was too long, as I need a mortgage.

12 month Apprentice role probation
6 month minimum once in role probation

It is probably a misunderstanding on my part, that the probationary period was so long, most organisations I have worked for have been 3 or 6 months.

I did not believe that the NVQ could be completed in 12 months, given that I had completed 2 of the units in the first 6 weeks and consider myself highly motivated.

For me, the possibility of the NVQ not completing in 12 months was not an option. The full salary is dependent on completing the NVQ.

I have no opinion on whether anyone should pursue a career in this organisation. I waited a long time to start, left a job to join, gave it my best shot and found it did not match my personal objectives.

My only advice is

1. Join the Union
2. Understand the employment contract

I met a lot of very nice people, motivated trainers and wish everyone the very best for the future.
Standard User lincsboy1979
(member) Thu 03-Aug-17 21:59:56
Print Post

[re: Dslammer] [link to this post]

Fair enough mate if thats your reasons but why does it matter about ur probationary period for a mortagage,if ur accepted for one they dont need to know how long ur proation is,now u will be starting another job which will be ur 3rd in a year and as an ex scaffolder who was allways having to chase the money and go to different companies i know how the mortgage companies feel about job changes especially if different fields.At least u gave it a shot,it cant suit everyone and im sure by the end of 2017 every trainee from this years intake wont b there
Standard User lincsboy1979
(member) Thu 03-Aug-17 22:02:22
Print Post

[re: lincsboy1979] [link to this post]

Also u state that u did 2 units in 6 weeks,is that not good going then??if its spread out over a year how many units are there?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Russ00Swan
(newbie) Fri 04-Aug-17 03:47:40
Print Post

[re: Swanseajack91] [link to this post]

I start on 21st of this month and just wondered how the wages are paid? My wife works for BT so I assume its the same pay date (last day of the month) but I'm wondering if I'll have to wait till the end of September to get any wage? Its not a massive issue just would like to know now so I can prepare for the short fall between wages from my previous job and this one.

Edited by Russ00Swan (Fri 04-Aug-17 03:49:55)

Standard User Swanseajack91
(member) Fri 04-Aug-17 08:00:11
Print Post

[re: Russ00Swan] [link to this post]

Yep last day of the month mate.. If you sent your payroll stuff you should get paid end of the month my first month I had 1 weeks pay the first time
Standard User MikeyGrant89
(learned) Fri 04-Aug-17 15:40:43
Print Post

Just been told I'm Fibre Jointing under Infrastructure Delivery. Pretty happy with that as I wanted to get into Fibre. Is this a slightly different role to the BCD Fibre jointers?
Standard User Swanseajack91
(member) Fri 04-Aug-17 17:28:18
Print Post

[re: MikeyGrant89] [link to this post]

That will be good mate, I think that's more installing fibre at big sites and new builds don't quote me on that though.
Fibre is where the future is at all the normal engineers are trying to get on it!
Standard User Keli
(learned) Sat 05-Aug-17 20:54:18
Print Post

[re: MikeyGrant89] [link to this post]

Have you been told if you are legacy or connoctorise yet? Because they have different training lengths and you don't learn everything with connect. But yeah it's all fibre stuff, I'm on a break with my training as I have been ill but heading off to Cardiff in about a week to continue.
Standard User MikeyGrant89
(learned) Sat 05-Aug-17 21:54:01
Print Post

[re: Keli] [link to this post]

Cheers for the info Jack. Sounds good to me!

I've not been told which one I'm doing yet. What do you do in each of them roles and what is the difference? Is Cardiff your local training centre or is that where I will be going too? Also, did you get a van at the end of week 1?
Standard User sotond
(newbie) Sun 06-Aug-17 09:28:02
Print Post

Off to yarnfield today,can anyone who has done there first week tell me what kind of time we would be leaving on the friday,been offered some work friday night and just want to know if I'll be back in time.
Pages in this thread: << 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | [139] | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to