General Discussion
  >> Jobs and Training

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | [142] | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Nrfk24
(newbie) Mon 14-Aug-17 21:18:40
Print Post

Re: Openreach recruitment 8

[re: Luke_the_nuke] [link to this post]

Pay back 2k? I have heard nothing of the sort.

As long as you listen the majority of the Pass/Fail Assessments are simple. That said, we did have one fail the Dropwire course and I believe the intake one week in front had two fail. Just do as they say, there's nothing to worry about.
Standard User lozishere
(newbie) Mon 14-Aug-17 22:45:10
Print Post

i did 5 weeks with openreach and lft with out paying 2k but did hear i might have had to but they didnt with me thank god. training is good but can be hard n you have 2 tests that you must pass or they let u go.and they do let you go. i left bcus i had no support with the apprentice stuff and it was to much with learning the job to . work is gd but u can be over worked and even worst with apprentice cours
Standard User Baivox
(newbie) Wed 16-Aug-17 15:07:23
Print Post

[re: lincsboy1979] [link to this post]

Hi all,

I start at Yarnfield on the 4th September and have had my train tickets through, starting to feel real now!!

Does anyone know how supportive they are if I need to leave a little earlier one day for dental work? I have a few appointments to get some dental work done and my final appointment is 15th September (the Friday in my second week).

I booked the latest time in the day possible (5:10pm) but need time to travel back from Yarnfield so would need to leave by 2:30pm. Are they likely to get funny with that?

Thanks smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User harryvw
(newbie) Wed 16-Aug-17 16:16:04
Print Post

[re: Baivox] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Baivox:
Hi all,

I start at Yarnfield on the 4th September and have had my train tickets through, starting to feel real now!!

Does anyone know how supportive they are if I need to leave a little earlier one day for dental work? I have a few appointments to get some dental work done and my final appointment is 15th September (the Friday in my second week).

I booked the latest time in the day possible (5:10pm) but need time to travel back from Yarnfield so would need to leave by 2:30pm. Are they likely to get funny with that?

Thanks smile

Last week when I picked up my van I was off by 12pm. And this week we only have the shcedule until lunch at 12pm and then we're off home I think so I reckon you should be on your way home by 2:30pm
Standard User DisneyFan
(newbie) Thu 17-Aug-17 11:33:02
Print Post

[re: DSLJ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DSLJ:
I also have a start date of the 21st of August. I was told that I would receive my contract 4 - 6 weeks before starting at the end of June but heard nothing since...

Hi DSLJ - Guessing you're from Scotland? I'm over in Ayrshire and wondered if you wouldn't mind giving me some advice. I applied in the Spring of this year and have passed the video interview etc - now awaiting assessment invite. Keep getting an email every few weeks from Openreach saying that they haven't forgotten me and are still considering my application for vacancies where I live, but as yet cannot book me into an assessment centre. I had it in my mind that these assessment centres run till August, and so I have started to think that maybe it's not going to happen for me. What advice/info would you give? Thanks a lot.
Standard User MrSpud
(regular) Thu 17-Aug-17 17:43:32
Print Post

[re: lozishere] [link to this post]

It's a bit of a shame to say that you misunderstood what the Nvq was about. OR give you 96 hours with an nvq assessor to get it done! And you only need to complete 10 tasks, most of which can be done with one video, some just need a testimony from your manager. I'm hoping to have it completed in the next 3 weeks and I've just started my end buddying. It's a level 2 nvq not a degree is Astro physics! I can't believe you gave the job up just because of that
Standard User Luke_the_nuke
(newbie) Thu 17-Aug-17 19:31:47
Print Post

[re: MrSpud] [link to this post]

Does anyone know if you have to sit a maths and english exam in your first week?
Standard User Baivox
(newbie) Thu 17-Aug-17 19:41:46
Print Post

[re: harryvw] [link to this post]

Ahh, fingers crossed it'll be roughly the same time for me then! Thanks a lot smile

Counting down the days now!!
Standard User kadaf
(newbie) Thu 17-Aug-17 23:37:51
Print Post

Re: Openreach recruitment 8 *DELETED*

Post deleted by kadaf

Edited by kadaf (Thu 17-Aug-17 23:38:47)

Standard User Dslammer
(learned) Fri 18-Aug-17 12:39:07
Print Post

[re: MrSpud] [link to this post]

I also left because of the Apprenticeship. Like most big companies BT Openreach are paying 0.5% of their total wage bill to pay the apprentice levy.

I estimated BT Openreach are paying 9 million apprentice levy.

In order to recoup this money large companies are converting any suitable roles to apprenticeships. This enables to recover up to £4000 per apprentice.

I personally had no issue with this. The issue I had was that three of the units were identical to the mandatory training modules, ladders, pole climbing etc.

I read the apprentice documentation cover to cover and everything on the gov.uk web site

You complete the three mandatory units at the training center, then once you are working on your own you have to repeat the content of the three units on the job.

That includes up to three photos per activity, climbing pole, rotating on pole, running sash lines, across a road, up a metal pole, typically outside a school.

Your manager has to arrange this.

My questions were:

How will this be arranged for 1500 people
How can it be arranged in a normal working day
Who will take the photos
How will it all be completed in 12 months.

This apprenticeship was created to recoup the apprenticeship levy. You can still do the job without doing the apprenticeship.

What advantage is there to anyone doing it?

Last year you got £26,000 after 12 weeks. What advantage is there to waiting 52 weeks to get £26,000

The skills you get are not readily transferable to other roles.

Remember we all left other jobs to take this one. Those jobs must have been attractive at one time otherwise we wouldn't have taken them.

Like someone mentioned I understand the retention rate is %75, but I am sure you can get this confirmed at Yarnfield.

I completed the mandatory ladders and also the apprenticeship ladders modules.

Who has completed units, 9, 10, 11 etc?

My advice remains the same

Join the Union
Understand the contract

Anyone who was sent home for being overweight, not driving competently should ask whether it is an apprentice contract, if it is, seek relevant advice
Pages in this thread: << 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | [142] | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to