General Discussion
  >> Jobs and Training

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | [148] | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JS97
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 08:33:09
Print Post

Re: Openreach recruitment 8

[re: lincsboy1979] [link to this post]

Can you let me know how in depth the driving part is when you get a chance please? I've never driven a van before and i'm pretty nervous for it.
Standard User Dmack13
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 13:33:48
Print Post

[re: kadaf] [link to this post]

I emailed John, take boots trousers combination of t/ polo shirt and a jacket. Don't need waterproofs till next week and we do get vans on Friday afternoon
Standard User Dmack13
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 13:35:40
Print Post

[re: JS97] [link to this post]

What I've just been told is. Clothes suitable for the classroom. Trousers, boots, t shirts/ polo's. For the week. Your own clothes for the night I think.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kadaf
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 16:08:33
Print Post

[re: Dmack13] [link to this post]

I know that question has been asked in the previous post but.... What if you don't have the proof of GCSE qualification? Will you be required sit some additional tests/exams for the NVQ during your induction/training?
Standard User Dmack13
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 16:17:07
Print Post

[re: kadaf] [link to this post]

To be honest I'm not 100% sure I never even picked mine up so I guess they'll probably ask us to request them from wherever is needed. I'm only guessing though
Standard User kadaf
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 16:24:34
Print Post

Yeah probably, we will see, not long now until Sunday, very excited!
Standard User Leezer01
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 18:12:12
Print Post

Am starting the 18th september
Standard User Leezer01
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 19:44:16
Print Post

[re: lincsboy1979] [link to this post]

What's the accomendation like at yarnfield ?

Edited by Leezer01 (Wed 06-Sep-17 19:45:05)

Standard User ShavedApe
(member) Wed 06-Sep-17 20:14:52
Print Post

Dont worry too much I assume you took the maths and english tests at the assessment day before you got the job in which case you wont have to do too much till much later in the training. Proof of qualifications are not essential but can help. I dont have mine and im in my mid 40's so getting hold of them could prove troublesome but I have been assured its really not an issue.

In reply to a post by lincsboy1979:
scrapped the conference call now mate,hows life on the road treating u?ive just done day 1 again seems ages ago now since we all started this going on here,theyve changed how they do things a bit now,all dor the better,the inductions laid out a bit different as ur allready picked into ur groups that ur going to b working with and also picking up of vans is different and also all ur gear gets sent now to ur house and u dont have to stay sunday nights now,seems theyve learnt over the year on how to tweek things dor the better

We where put in our groups quite early on too but its nice to hear they are tweaking things based on our feedback.

For me I am starting to feel like a proper engineer now still have no clue what Im doing most of the time but there is lots of support and even a coaching on demand thing they are beta testing although I think they got tired of waiting for those of us who were in on the beta test to call and opened it up to more trainee's

Done lots of cab work and I do mean lots and a few provides, not much pole climbing since I've been out on my own but I have done it so and felt so much more comfortable once I had no one waiting for me at the bottom, or telling me what to do. If my back hurts I get down for 5 minutes if im struggling to get results same again take five and back up the pole but as I say most of the time so far I have been fortunate enough to not have to go up too often.

Done an NVQ day that went ok so 9 more of those to go gathering evidence can be tiresome but our NVQ coach seems pretty cool and I think anything we dont have he will help us get on one of the days.

In reply to a post by JS97:
Can you let me know how in depth the driving part is when you get a chance please? I've never driven a van before and i'm pretty nervous for it.

Its simply a case of driving for an hour or so, be aware of speed limit changes there are a lot around yarnfield, be aware of the vans size dont expect it to react like your family car. That said though they drive a lot like a family car these days so just drive it like its a brand new car and your scared you'll scratch it.
Check your mirrors often and tell the instructor you haven't driven a van before they will likely give you more time to settle in but may also give you help should you need it.
Even if you fail and its pretty hard to fail you will get a second chance it just may well be at a later date a guy on our intake failed and hes happily driving around in his own van now it just took a week or two.

My comments are my own and represent my opinion only not that of any person or company I may have links to.
Standard User lincsboy1979
(member) Wed 06-Sep-17 21:52:21
Print Post

So day 3 complete was a lot better today out of the classroom for the morning on the driving ASSESMENT not test,i stress this as a lot of nervous people where [censored]%ing thereselves thinking it was a test.Basically a driving assesor takes you out and wants to basically make sure you can drive properly without being a dic%head.You will do some free driving folowing his instructions,he wiill then pull you over and maybe pick up on some pointers regarding your driving,mine was really relaxed and sound,others not so much and a bit stuffy like an examiner,but honestly whether you have driven vans before or never it doesnt matter,you will learn how to do all your vehicle checks,where everything is in the van before you even pull off.For those wondering Service Delivery or CALOMI and ID get vauxhall vivarros,and FVR get Fiat Ducatos if you want to look them up.If you are getting a vivarrro you will go out with 2 of you and an instructor as they have 3 seats,1 drives for an hour then you swap,if your FVR in the ducatos you are sole driving for roughly 2 hours but all in all you go out to your van around 9 and get back about 12 but that will include your checks and a stop off mid point..You are graded and put into a risk factor,i was low risk myself which is the best grade but you can also get medium if theres a few niggles but your ok to get your van.If you get high risk.which there was 1 out of 40 you have to go home in a hire car and re-sit the assesment on week 2.The lad felt a bit hard doen by to be honest but his assesor just didnt feel that he planned ahead enough and did stuff late,as a group we all thought he was a bit hard done by to be hinest as most people,even the younger 20/25 year olds who had never drove a van got low risk so as i said before,i know ive rabbled on a bit but this forum is basically for information and ive allways put stuff i think can help,just remember to chill out and dont think your on a test,they dont even make you have hands at 10 to 2 and all that,they just want to make sure you are safe.The other part of the day is a theory side but its no test,just clips and slideshows with statistics and to make sure you realise the different speed limits for vans and that.Hope thats helped a few out
Pages in this thread: << 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | [148] | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to