General Discussion
  >> Jobs and Training

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | [149] | 150 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lincsboy1979
(member) Wed 06-Sep-17 21:56:14
Print Post

Re: Openreach recruitment 8

[re: kadaf] [link to this post]

Out of 80 there were about half without no gcse papers,you can request them from your exam board at a cost,around £45 or just sit a basic maths and english level 1 test at some point during your training,not in weeks 1 and 2,its more basic than the one you will have done at assesment day.If you have done any IT courses there are some that overide the apprentice courses,but the only lad that had an equivalent has to come and sit in the apprentice courses anyway so no real point,its quite mad really as there was a lad with a degree in IT but as this was not on BTs approved list he has to do the computer training like the rest of us
(member) Wed 06-Sep-17 22:04:10
Print Post

[re: lincsboy1979] [link to this post]

weve just found out aswell that yarnfield is allready fully booked on monday night next week so all of us have to stay in the local holiday inn for the night,so a bit of a ballache to come down sunday night get a room,clear it out monday,then come back in yarnfield tuesday night,but they take care of all that and its all booked,for those who are starting next week im not sure if this affects you im sure you will be told but all of us on week 2 are out the monday night.They might have only had a few rooms allocated so may give it to the week 1 lads as not to disrupt your first wek too much,as i said im not sure all i know is we are somewhere else.There has been a change from the start of the inductions now where you dont have to stop sunday nights as of week 2 if you dont want to and can travel up/down monday morning,i personally only being 90 miles away may do this so not to mess aorund on the monday morning.
(member) Wed 06-Sep-17 22:16:17
Print Post

[re: Leezer01] [link to this post]

Allright not 5 star but not 1,i would best describe it like student halls,you have your own en-suite room some have doubles some singles,luck of the draw.There cleaned regularly,theres a small tv and a desk to work on,a wardbrobe and thats it.little kettle with tea,coffee and biscuits,if you use them they will replenish them,its ok for what we need it for.foods pretty good 3 buffets a day,plenty to choose from,i will doubt anyone will starve whilst here what ever your food habits/beliefs.

Edited by lincsboy1979 (Wed 06-Sep-17 22:25:20)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SteCunningham
(newbie) Wed 06-Sep-17 23:08:46
Print Post

Thanks for all the info mate. You and the other guys that have posted, it helps greatly to give us guys due to start some info. I start on 25th Sept and cant wait.
Standard User JS97
(newbie) Thu 07-Sep-17 10:46:09
Print Post

Holy cow! I think i could fit my car in the back of one of them ducatos. I guess i'll just have to take it slow and explain i'm new to driving a van (tank). Thanks man
(member) Thu 07-Sep-17 11:52:57
Print Post

[re: JS97] [link to this post]

Yep being fvr u actually benefit as u will be 1 to 1 so take the full advantage and if ur not sure he will drive for a bit on a demo,remember the next day u will b pulling off in £20,000 worth of van so be fully confdent
(member) Thu 07-Sep-17 22:18:49
Print Post

Day 4 i wont lie boring as hell till dinner,all the apprenticeship work really is boring and tedius and to be honest as ur all in a massive classroom together its chaos.Had dinner then back in classroom but then at 13.30 us FVR lads went to magna park for the best bit,the van collection.These vans really are amazing,there lovely and spanking new,30/40 delivery miles on clock,theyre all synced up with ur phones and bluetooth.Inside the back is everything u need with no expense spared,and im not joking there is a microwave and water boiler in the back aswell as u have a power invertor that works off the engine so u can charge ur tools,they are also milwaukee whoch are one of the best makes!!You get fuel card but it can only be used at esso so make urself aware of one local to u.u can type it into an app u get on ur phone called co pilot and it will find nearest one for where u r.Bonus is u can use ur tesco clubcard with it.Magna park itself is awful to drive back from but only some of u will come back thursday night with van others will go friday morning so it could benefit u if its in ur direction of home.Can go at 7 tomoz so hopefully be home for 10 after a bit of brekkie!!any questions about week 1 fire away,i will try my best,this forum helped me loads so nice to give a bit of info back
(member) Wed 13-Sep-17 22:13:56
Print Post

Brief summary of week 2.Monday we had another induction but this time it has the top mangers of your role there so was good to ask them questions and each one spoke about the roles and the career pathway.u also get a talk from the union and chance to join,they dont make u but its worth the £9 a month in case u ever have any problems as first 2 years are probationary with no access to any appeals.In the afternoon u get to go inside an exchange,have a look around a scaled down network,and then get chance to go through your van and how everything goes with an actual engineer,they only do the vivarro though so pretty pointless for FVR as u will get a fiat ducato,they were supposed to arrange one for the bigger vans but no ones said anything yet.Day 2 was a your visit counts,basically all day surrounding customer service and practices,all day in the classroom but our instructor made it bearable as he was quite funny.Today has been the laptop and iphone training,if a day is ever strung out its this one,no need for all day but it is,u learn how to change all your passwords,there is loads,and u learn how to use ur phone and what apps u can have.Was ok done by 3,
(member) Wed 13-Sep-17 22:17:10
Print Post

Also forgot to put a reply to an earlier post,u have to stay in accomodation unless u can set off from home after 7,so basically 45 min comfortable deive,this also counts when u go off to ur local training schools as ur not allowed to drive vans before 7
(member) Fri 15-Sep-17 23:31:33
Print Post

Well week 2 has now been and gone,for the vast amounts of time we have spent in a classroom its suprising!day 4 was the EUSR qualification,again boring as hell with a 50 question test but its another qualification and card to add to the list.day 5 the best by far,got to use a fibre jointing machine using the latest technology to make a fibre joint,did a couple of extra little computer bits then it was the one everyone was waiting for,the pole climb.im used to working at heights for last 10 years but this was totally different,u get all ur harness sorted then get a demo and practice on a baby pole,then up the proper one around 30ft.There were a few lads wobble at the top but everyone got through it and enjoyed the experience,its all about trusting your equipment and getting used to it.was on the road by 2.next 2 weeks im at yarnfield again but will be a lot better as will be in our small group of 8 so a lot better as its chaos sometimes when in the big groups.
Pages in this thread: << 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | [149] | 150 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to