General Discussion
  >> Jobs and Training

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 214 | 215 | 216 | 217 | 218 | 219 | 220 | 221 | 222 | 223 | [224] | 225 | 226 | 227 | 228 | 229 | 230 | 231 | 232 | 233 | 234 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lincsboy1979
(committed) Mon 19-Feb-18 21:39:14
Print Post

Re: Openreach recruitment 8

[re: ccatter203] [link to this post]

ID without a doubt dont even hesitate,very suprised u got option as most not even been told,my guess is u will be waiting for someone from last years intake to finish their 12 months before they take on another ID apprentice,its working on all the new build housing sites/buisnesses putting all the main infastructure,all nice and new:):):)smile
Standard User Jbs89
(member) Mon 19-Feb-18 21:41:30
Print Post

[re: lincsboy1979] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lincsboy1979:
ID without a doubt dont even hesitate,very suprised u got option as most not even been told,my guess is u will be waiting for someone from last years intake to finish their 12 months before they take on another ID apprentice,its working on all the new build housing sites/buisnesses putting all the main infastructure,all nice and new:):):)smile

Yeah, completely agree. Much more interesting in my opinion.
Standard User lincsboy1979
(committed) Mon 19-Feb-18 21:46:51
Print Post

Think ur a bit mixed up mate-
Fibre jointer is obviously working with the fibre,good job,future of the company

FVR-Fault Volume Reduction,working in all the underground network bringing the network up to scratch by swapping over all the old [censored] thats been in for years and replacing it with better crimps and joints that they sit in.

Infastructure Delivery-Installing the new infastructure into new housing sites and buisnesses, i believe they are also trying to push work their way that they currently contract out such as installing of the new pcp’s and Dslams

Calomi-Mostly customer end,up poles,in pcp/exchanges

All different roles best i can sum up

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ccatter203
(newbie) Mon 19-Feb-18 22:02:38
Print Post

[re: lincsboy1979] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lincsboy1979:
Think ur a bit mixed up mate-
Fibre jointer is obviously working with the fibre,good job,future of the company

FVR-Fault Volume Reduction,working in all the underground network bringing the network up to scratch by swapping over all the old [censored] thats been in for years and replacing it with better crimps and joints that they sit in.

Infastructure Delivery-Installing the new infastructure into new housing sites and buisnesses, i believe they are also trying to push work their way that they currently contract out such as installing of the new pcp’s and Dslams

Calomi-Mostly customer end,up poles,in pcp/exchanges

All different roles best i can sum up

Cheers, that helps a lot. What she sent over is 'Infrastructure Delivery Fibre Jointer', going from the job specs SD/CALOMI is more me, customer orientated etc.

I've let her know now so will see what she comes back with tomorrow!

Thanks again

Cal
Standard User Dippa
(regular) Mon 19-Feb-18 23:58:28
Print Post

CALOMI is a very interesting and demanding role. There's a lot more to it than just provides with customers.

At first you'll be doing simple jobs like provides and SI, which is jumping pairs in the cabs through the Dslam, which is fibre.

Every job will be different and challenging. It requires a bit more thinking and skill. You'll be fault finding and fixing them.

UG training is something that can happen in this role, eventually. Once UG trained you'll be able to walk the node, find and fix the reason why your customer isn't connected. You'll also do joint remakes like FVR do once UG trained.

On the service delivery side (D side), it's the CALOMI who call the shots. As an FVR engineer, we work around the CALOMI helping them. CALOMI are the main ones and are prioritised tbh. They dictate what needs to happen to keep the customer happy.

There's plenty of overtime in this role also. Especially years down the line and you're skilled to the max with UG and broadband

infrastructure delivery (ID) from what I know is a very tedious and boring role, but I have no experience in this role so take my opinion with a pinch. Same as cablers who work in gangs pulling cables through mechanically everyday. FVR is boring also, no thinking involved tbh. No real problems or challenges CALOMi who run into a problem with a customers pair. Trying to locate where it's dis to then get a battery fault and once fixing that they get a HR fault and so on lol

The ID guys who started when I started only had a few weeks training at Yarnfield and were straight out on the tools, unlike us who had weeks and weeks of training

Edited by Dippa (Tue 20-Feb-18 07:47:12)

Standard User frazmataz666
(regular) Tue 20-Feb-18 08:20:45
Print Post

[re: Dippa] [link to this post]

Some nice info from the folks already doing the job.

Just to play devils advocate, surely Infrastructure Delivery is just CALOMI without the interaction with customers and a bit on the side.

You are going into a house (new build) and setting up from exchanges etc all ready to go. Not dissimilar to CALOMI I imagine.
Standard User Jbs89
(member) Tue 20-Feb-18 11:27:47
Print Post

[re: Dippa] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Dippa:
CALOMI is a very interesting and demanding role. There's a lot more to it than just provides with customers.

At first you'll be doing simple jobs like provides and SI, which is jumping pairs in the cabs through the Dslam, which is fibre.

Every job will be different and challenging. It requires a bit more thinking and skill. You'll be fault finding and fixing them.

UG training is something that can happen in this role, eventually. Once UG trained you'll be able to walk the node, find and fix the reason why your customer isn't connected. You'll also do joint remakes like FVR do once UG trained.

On the service delivery side (D side), it's the CALOMI who call the shots. As an FVR engineer, we work around the CALOMI helping them. CALOMI are the main ones and are prioritised tbh. They dictate what needs to happen to keep the customer happy.

There's plenty of overtime in this role also. Especially years down the line and you're skilled to the max with UG and broadband

infrastructure delivery (ID) from what I know is a very tedious and boring role, but I have no experience in this role so take my opinion with a pinch. Same as cablers who work in gangs pulling cables through mechanically everyday. FVR is boring also, no thinking involved tbh. No real problems or challenges CALOMi who run into a problem with a customers pair. Trying to locate where it's dis to then get a battery fault and once fixing that they get a HR fault and so on lol

The ID guys who started when I started only had a few weeks training at Yarnfield and were straight out on the tools, unlike us who had weeks and weeks of training

Cheers for that! Interesting to hear. I'm absolutely buzzing to get started.
Standard User ccatter203
(newbie) Tue 20-Feb-18 14:08:35
Print Post

[re: Jbs89] [link to this post]

Been given a start date of 23/04 now!

Anyone else on this intake?

Cal
Standard User Burgo87
(newbie) Tue 20-Feb-18 15:10:00
Print Post

[re: Jbs89] [link to this post]

brilliant read that! thank you for taking the time to write all that out! good read.
Standard User Burgo87
(newbie) Tue 20-Feb-18 15:11:32
Print Post

Congrats buddy! I bet you can't wait!

Anyone from the assessment center on the 30th Jan waiting for a start date?
I had an email last week saying April was a likely start date.
Pages in this thread: << 214 | 215 | 216 | 217 | 218 | 219 | 220 | 221 | 222 | 223 | [224] | 225 | 226 | 227 | 228 | 229 | 230 | 231 | 232 | 233 | 234 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to