General Discussion
  >> Jobs and Training

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 232 | 233 | 234 | 235 | 236 | 237 | 238 | 239 | 240 | 241 | 242 | 243 | 244 | 245 | [246] | 247 | 248 | 249 | 250 | 251 | 252 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MMCMME
(learned) Thu 08-Mar-18 06:34:19
Print Post

Re: Openreach recruitment 8

[re: GG89] [link to this post]

Ah great stuff, glad to see a few others with the same start date.

Puts my mind at ease a bit lol

Where are you guys coming from on the 28th?

Wonder if we get paid at themd of the 1st week then for the 4 days.

Cant wait to get started now! Notice is going in tomorrow! All starting to finally feel real! laugh
Standard User frazmataz666
(regular) Thu 08-Mar-18 08:05:10
Print Post

[re: MaybeOpenreach] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MaybeOpenreach:
I know Iíve read it somewhere, but how long is it they like you to do before taking any annual leave?

You cant take any holidays in the first 8 weeks of training and they would rather not have you take any in the 12 week training period.
(regular) Thu 08-Mar-18 08:08:17
Print Post

[re: MMCMME] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MMCMME:
Does anybody start at Yarnfield on May 28th by any chance?

Been given this start date but its a bank holiday Monday, guessing things will go ahead as normal?

It probably will, I got the 26th March, the induction week ends on Good Friday and would then start training centre on Easter Monday.

Im sure bank holiday is double time and a half. smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MaybeOpenreach
(newbie) Thu 08-Mar-18 17:04:33
Print Post

[re: frazmataz666] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by frazmataz666:
In reply to a post by MaybeOpenreach:
I know Iíve read it somewhere, but how long is it they like you to do before taking any annual leave?

You cant take any holidays in the first 8 weeks of training and they would rather not have you take any in the 12 week training period.

Thanks.
Standard User davek19
(learned) Thu 08-Mar-18 17:27:22
Print Post

[re: frazmataz666] [link to this post]

Are there any opportunities to earn more than the £20k starting salary in the first year? Or is it £20k no matter what?
Standard User Richard110187
(newbie) Thu 08-Mar-18 18:28:42
Print Post

[re: davek19] [link to this post]

Once you have gone live you can pick up overtime if you want.
Standard User ShavedApe
(member) Thu 08-Mar-18 19:20:29
Print Post

[re: davek19] [link to this post]

Lots of opportunities for overtime once live and even the opportunity to go on lodge. I recently did lodge you are paid nearly 700 tax free advance for accommodation before you travel. it doesnít have to cost that of course so if you find somewhere cheap and eat cheaply too your quids in. 12 days of work including a Saturday and Sunday and of course overtime during the week too. Nice little earner.

Lots of mentions here of bank holidays while training, I started end of May last year we had a bank holiday while I was at Yarnfield for my first two weeks. It just meant we lost a day of training. They may have changed things this year but unlikely they are going to force the trainers to work bank holidays I wouldnít of thought.

My comments are my own and represent my opinion only not that of any person or company I may have links to.
Standard User McGregor66
(newbie) Thu 08-Mar-18 21:05:09
Print Post

[re: ShavedApe] [link to this post]

Hi All, I havenít been on the forum for about 8 months. Iím now 8 months into the apprenticeship. ID Fibre Jointer on a 4 day week. Absolutely loving it to be honest. Money is not great to start but with a bit of OT it helps boost it up. I went through everything you have been through or about to go through. If you need advice on anything quote me or DM me I will call back few times this week and if I can help you I will. Yarnfield is decent, food is good, accommodation is good. Be prepared to stay away from home for at least 4/6 weeks of initial training. We went all over the country. We had a brand new van end of the first week in Yarnfield. Vivaro. Yarnfield for two weeks, Cardiff for a few weeks then Hertford to finish. My intake we had a good bunch of boys which made it more enjoyable for us all, we had a good laugh. When you go buddying first you will just be watching and general assisting for a few weeks as you wonít have completed all your courses. The hardest course for me was probably climbing poles. I was a bit iffy with heights but as soon as you have done it a couple of times itís easy. I do it regularly now in my job. The company is massive on H&S and everything has to be done to a set standard. Itís a good job with good progression for the future. Iíve heard there will be 2000 apprentices this year. 800 to ID and BDUK. The rest to SD. All coming on to help step 1 engineers complete the fibre to the prem (FFTP) government targets. The area we cover on ID is huge. Could be travelling up to two hours away daily. We do everything from building the network (Incrimental builds) to helping SD with faults. If you can get in then 100% take it. We have NVQ days to study with a few others and our NVQ coaches as well. About 10 days off to study during the year.

Question I have for the apprentices that have been on for a year, what does the wage increase to? And are there any requirements that have to be met to get the increase? Thanks.
Standard User Jbs89
(member) Thu 08-Mar-18 21:35:10
Print Post

[re: McGregor66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by McGregor66:
Hi All, I havenít been on the forum for about 8 months. Iím now 8 months into the apprenticeship. ID Fibre Jointer on a 4 day week. Absolutely loving it to be honest. Money is not great to start but with a bit of OT it helps boost it up. I went through everything you have been through or about to go through. If you need advice on anything quote me or DM me I will call back few times this week and if I can help you I will. Yarnfield is decent, food is good, accommodation is good. Be prepared to stay away from home for at least 4/6 weeks of initial training. We went all over the country. We had a brand new van end of the first week in Yarnfield. Vivaro. Yarnfield for two weeks, Cardiff for a few weeks then Hertford to finish. My intake we had a good bunch of boys which made it more enjoyable for us all, we had a good laugh. When you go buddying first you will just be watching and general assisting for a few weeks as you wonít have completed all your courses. The hardest course for me was probably climbing poles. I was a bit iffy with heights but as soon as you have done it a couple of times itís easy. I do it regularly now in my job. The company is massive on H&S and everything has to be done to a set standard. Itís a good job with good progression for the future. Iíve heard there will be 2000 apprentices this year. 800 to ID and BDUK. The rest to SD. All coming on to help step 1 engineers complete the fibre to the prem (FFTP) government targets. The area we cover on ID is huge. Could be travelling up to two hours away daily. We do everything from building the network (Incrimental builds) to helping SD with faults. If you can get in then 100% take it. We have NVQ days to study with a few others and our NVQ coaches as well. About 10 days off to study during the year.

Question I have for the apprentices that have been on for a year, what does the wage increase to? And are there any requirements that have to be met to get the increase? Thanks.

Great post mate. Appreciate the info! Love the fact loads of people are really enjoying it. Also a 4 day week does appeal to me down the line. What you normally do then say 8-6pm roughly?
(regular) Fri 09-Mar-18 08:30:29
Print Post

[re: Jbs89] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jbs89:
In reply to a post by McGregor66:

Great post mate. Appreciate the info! Love the fact loads of people are really enjoying it. Also a 4 day week does appeal to me down the line. What you normally do then say 8-6pm roughly?

Yeh cheers for that mate, second that question. If you wouldnt mind just blasting through a quick 'typical' day.
Pages in this thread: << 232 | 233 | 234 | 235 | 236 | 237 | 238 | 239 | 240 | 241 | 242 | 243 | 244 | 245 | [246] | 247 | 248 | 249 | 250 | 251 | 252 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to