General Discussion
  >> Jobs and Training

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | [49] | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pythonz
(learned) Thu 18-May-17 16:59:14
Print Post

Re: Openreach recruitment 8

[re: ShavedApe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ShavedApe:
Just had a second email pretty much telling us he's busy so to email any questions.
In red he put IMPORTANT please bring proof of qualifications for English, maths and ICT. Being that I'm now 44 I can barely remember being at school never mind what I got in my exams I know for sure I don't have any proof.
I left school and started work I didnt much care how I had done I was earning far more than any 16 year I knew and didnt collect my results didnt think they would matter being the know it all 16 year that I was lol.

I was going to email him but then considered it might be best just to ask on the conference call.
Are you or is anyone aware of people that didn't have proof?

Most likely that portion of the email aimed at people on the apprenticeship scheme. Surely they would've ask to see copies of qualifications before, such as during the tasks they set out for all to complete.

Anyone else who has started their training had to show qualifications, especially guys over 30's ?
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Thu 18-May-17 17:13:39
Print Post

[re: pythonz] [link to this post]

I read a previous email and it definitely says IF you have them so not too worried at this point but would be nice to hear from some of the older guys if possible.

Im fairly certain I read it in an email where it asked "younger candidates" to provide proof but didnt bother looking once I saw the one that said "if".

Edited by ShavedApe (Thu 18-May-17 17:14:40)

Standard User Nrfk24
(newbie) Thu 18-May-17 17:14:44
Print Post

Another update, just been given my start date - 12th June.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lincsboy1979
(regular) Thu 18-May-17 19:17:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by ShavedApe:
I read a previous email and it definitely says IF you have them so not too worried at this point but would be nice to hear from some of the older guys if possible.

Im fairly certain I read it in an email where it asked "younger candidates" to provide proof but didnt bother looking once I saw the one that said "if".

oK so what they dont tell you is that everyone is an apprentice so doesnt matter how old you are and you are asked for copies of GCSE certificates but its just for HR purposes and if you ahve them then great but if not it doesnt matter you will be required to dso a bit more maths and english during your training.Dont do like one lad did and pay for copies only for them to not arrive befoere he went and it was basically £35 down the drain
Standard User Kirky89
(regular) Thu 18-May-17 19:43:15
Print Post

[re: lincsboy1979] [link to this post]

To be fair if you don't have your certificates straight away it's not a problem part of the NVQ requires you to be at level 2 for maths, English and ICT and if you don't have proof then at some point you'll have to sit English maths ICT test but it's a simple enough test, if you can provide a GCSE or equivalent at a later date just might eliminate you having to take a test for it. Just for any of the new starters if you didn't declare on accepting the job your holiday don't accept them to honour it, there courses are packed so it's not as simple to move you from one to another so holidays within first 12 weeks are bit of a no no
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Thu 18-May-17 21:53:21
Print Post

[re: Kirky89] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info guys you set my mind and no doubt others minds at ease much appreciated.
Standard User SC999
(newbie) Thu 18-May-17 22:25:04
Print Post

I've been reading these posts throughout today and it seems the goal posts are getting wider all the time? At what stage are they letting people know that they may have to sit Maths/ English exams now? My certiicates are god knows where, and my old school is just a field now so not much hope of any photocopies either. None of this was mentioned at my assessment day last year. I may have to give them a call before I hand my notice in .....
Standard User lincsboy1979
(member) Thu 18-May-17 22:41:36
Print Post

[re: SC999] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SC999:
I've been reading these posts throughout today and it seems the goal posts are getting wider all the time? At what stage are they letting people know that they may have to sit Maths/ English exams now? My certiicates are god knows where, and my old school is just a field now so not much hope of any photocopies either. None of this was mentioned at my assessment day last year. I may have to give them a call before I hand my notice in .....

Its only a test you have to do at some point in your training just to make sure you are at level 2 in all 3 subjects.You wont have been told this because you did your assesment last year and as of this year,mine being the first,you have to sit maths and english tests on the assesment on laptops.My mate who started with me had his assesment last year and was told at some point he would have to take these tests as he was on last years assesments,there only to see where you are academically,we were told they are not fail/pass tests and if your not level 2 you will just have to do a bit more english and maths during your apprenticeship,thats all
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Fri 19-May-17 07:26:30
Print Post

[re: SC999] [link to this post]

It is possible to get replacement certificates from the exam board, though there is a fee to pay. Indeed, even if the school still existed, they probably have no records for pupils that left more than a few years ago and would probably redirect you to the exam board.

There have been numerous mergers of exam boards in the past few decades, but one of OCR, AQA and Edexcel should have the records you are after, assuming you took your exams in England.

The alternative is to forget about the certificates if there is an option to take English and Maths tests. However, today's society relies increasingly on paper qualifications, even though it may be many decades since you left school, so it's potentially worth getting replacement certificates and keeping them safe.

I have a folder with all my GCSE, A level and university certificates in it.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User Dippa
(learned) Fri 19-May-17 08:53:17
Print Post

[re: lincsboy1979] [link to this post]

Just had an email saying;

You are ready to start work for us!

We have completed all of our initial employment checks and we are delighted to confirm your start date with us.

Here are the details:

Manager details
Hiring managerís name: ********
Job request number : ****
Job title: Trainee Openreach Engineer
Role code: TMNE2
Line of business : B
Work location:

What's role code TMNE2 ?

Edited by Dippa (Fri 19-May-17 18:38:17)

Pages in this thread: << 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | [49] | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to