General Discussion
  >> Jobs and Training

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User allbro75
(newbie) Sat 29-Apr-17 12:05:19
Print Post

Re: Openreach recruitment 8

[re: lincsboy1979] [link to this post]

Hi, I start on the 15th as well. Looking forward to starting something new as well and will probably meet you there.

Allen.
Standard User MrSpud
(newbie) Sat 29-Apr-17 12:08:46
Print Post

[re: GDLuke] [link to this post]

They are one on one. They are relaxed and I get the impression that the interviewer isn't there to make you crash and burn. I had 2 very good chats with mine, almost like talking to someone you have known for years and they took notes throughout. However I am yet to hear if I have passed so don't take my advice just yet
Standard User ShavedApe
(learned) Sat 29-Apr-17 13:22:34
Print Post

[re: Rickimcc78] [link to this post]

I'm an ex driving instructor so while I haven't yet been through this assessment I did do them myself for a long time.

Remember it's not a test you can already drive so he isn't looking for that more he's looking to see if you are a safe, legal and courteous driver. Sure if you drive with one hand on the wheel and the other on the gear stick he will notice it and probably advise you about it but he's not likely to fail you on it.
I hate using the word fail as its not a test sure if your a complete idiot he will fail you but it's more a test like the maths and English from the assessment. Not a pass or fail but a way of seeing what "level" you are.

Don't drive like an idiot and you'll be fine.

When doing any manoeuvre make good use of mirrors and observations. Don't forget BOB when moving away (Boy On a Bike aka your blind spot check over your shoulder before you move!).

If you haven't driven a van before or can't practice just think of it as a big car because honestly they drive a lot like a car these days.

Set up your mirrors so you can see about the width of two fingers van, and everything else should be road and sky. Pointing them down so you can see the back wheel will help when reversing but useless for everything else and to be honest reduces what you can see when reversing too so don't do it.

Hope this helps
As I say not a test so don't drive like an idiot and you'll be fine.

Edited by ShavedApe (Sat 29-Apr-17 13:26:09)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rickimcc78
(regular) Sat 29-Apr-17 15:30:10
Print Post

[re: ShavedApe] [link to this post]

Cheers mate, much appreciated!

I'm currently driving a class 2 lorry so size isn't an issue for me, more so the fact I can get nervous when I'm being watched! The plug test I felt like a bomb disposal expert with sweet running down my head just cause we where being tested on it haha
Standard User Bons
(newbie) Sat 29-Apr-17 16:03:18
Print Post

Hi All,

Have been watching these thread for sometime now and just thought I'd get involved. I'm starting 5th June and was wondering if any of you lot that have just done your first week could share what you though and how the week goes from what the grub was like to the sort of equipment a you get given.

Tia
Standard User martthefart1111
(newbie) Sat 29-Apr-17 21:57:02
Print Post

[re: Bons] [link to this post]

Hi all got through to the video interview any tips please iam very nervous got to do it by the 4th may???????
Standard User Ett18
(newbie) Sun 30-Apr-17 07:48:03
Print Post

[re: martthefart1111] [link to this post]

I would recommend being yourself and make the most of the time you have to think about your answers between the questions. I was really worried about it as I had never completed a video interview before but it's not as bad as you may think. Good luck!!
Standard User MrSpud
(newbie) Sun 30-Apr-17 07:55:36
Print Post

[re: martthefart1111] [link to this post]

As said above be yourself, I wore a suit for it, well the top half anyway. It's the first time an recruiter will see you so first impressions and all that. Keep doing the practice question. You will feel a bit silly talking to your phone but you will kinda get used to it. My video interview was all about customer service and a bit on working safely. Also think through the reasons why you want to join
Standard User Swanseajack91
(member) Sun 30-Apr-17 08:02:15
Print Post

First week was good mate, not done any technical training yet was a full week of inductions and getting kit. Driving assessment was horrible for me and the other bloke I did it with, was like a real test however everyone else said they had a 15 minute drive and they where done so I think we pulled the short straw with the only strict instructor still managed to pass it so wasn't too bad.
Vans are lovely brand spanking new 17 plates Ford transit customs. Back to Yarnfield next week then in cardiff for 4 weeks.
Standard User lincsboy1979
(newbie) Sun 30-Apr-17 09:32:45
Print Post

[re: GDLuke] [link to this post]

interviews are 1 on 1 they take you up to an interview room which seems like miles away and there is a suitability and capability,suitability was more about you as a person and capability was a few more questions based on things you hae done at work and how you would go about tasks.Both interviewers were very good i had a male and a female and the last thing they want you tio be is nervous and the whole process was quite relaxed,all they say is they can only write what you say so try not to stall and freeze,just take your time and breathe.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to